IGNORED

Hayter Enquiry

Bristol Boy

5' 9" and almost 11st so a solid lad more in the Stewart mould than Brooker.

Another player being talked about is Grant Holt who at 6' & 12.5 Stone looks more the target man type player.

At least @ £150k it's a sensible sounding fee........wonder what they want for Stock who could be the midfielder we need to play next to Noble!!

5' 9" and almost 11st so a solid lad more in the Stewart mould than Brooker.

Another player being talked about is Grant Holt who at 6' & 12.5 Stone looks more the target man type player.

At least @ £150k it's a sensible sounding fee........wonder what they want for Stock who could be the midfielder we need to play next to Noble!!

Apparently, Bournemouth want 1 mill. for Stock. Forget him.

Apparently, Bournemouth want 1 mill. for Stock. Forget him.

That'll come down sharply as the window progresses.

Don't know the level of interest in him, but unless he's premiership bound i should think the price will drop to around 200 -250k. by the end of the month - presuming he's due to be out of contract.

Is he MUCH better than Wilkshire? :dunno:

Guest Harry Dolman

The stock for 1million was a joke by the chairman which was turned into him being serious by the media

When quizzed about the fees for Hayter & Stock the chairman joked £1M for each.

Bearing in mind that 3/4's of the cherries midfield went to Burnley in the summer for less than £100K in total (Elliott & O'Connor were out of contract & from memory Spicer cost £50K) I think its fair to assume that the Fitness 1st Stadium is the place for bargains!.

They are lucky that they have a fantastic manager in O'Driscoll - each time they lose their best players, he just re-biulds yet another quality football side.

i get the feeling rochdale are less keen to flog holt now several of his admirers (swansea, Walsall, shef wed, notts forest) have got hold of forwards elsewhere. it'll reduces his fee, cause there is less interest. plus his form has dropped off recently according to some, along with rochdales results. not sure we want him.

Do we really want to sign a consistently average league 1 striker? 88 goals in 277 starts doesn't really inspire me.

i agree, his record isn't amazing over his whole career, and he's spent alot of it down at this level. but i get the feeling he's reached that point where his experience, fitness and metal state are making him very difficult to play against. i also don't think his arrival should be seen as the end for stewart. its more likely to leave gillespie without a hope if anything. hayter would offer another differerent threat to what we presently have in savage, stewart and brooker. plus can see him being alot cheaper than often quoted. with six months on his contract and past 25 he won't go for more than 225k, especially see as a player of leon knight's age and pedigree was only 125K + large sell-on.

Guest Ronmeister

I'd rather have had Leon Knight than Hayter, but Hayter is a much better option than all of Gillespie, Stewart & Savage, all of whom are grossly unproven at this level. He has pace and a good finish on him, not totally in the Leroy mould, doesn't seem to have as much spark as he did, but still him and Brooker up front could make a good combination not unlike Leroy & Steve last year, pace alongside force.

I'd rather have had Leon Knight than Hayter, but Hayter is a much better option than all of Gillespie, Stewart & Savage, all of whom are grossly unproven at this level. He has pace and a good finish on him, not totally in the Leroy mould, doesn't seem to have as much spark as he did, but still him and Brooker up front could make a good combination not unlike Leroy & Steve last year, pace alongside force.

Stewart is unproven at this level is he?

Stewart is unproven at this level is he?

i think his game has change since he last played down this low, god knows how long ago. seems to struggle to impose himself to me. not knocking him, as i still rate him highly, just think its been harder for him to adapt than first thought.

Guest Ronmeister

hey ronmeister, i know this is off the topic, but what do you think of basso's kicking now?

I think it's an improvement on Stevie's. I'm surprised you brought this up as most people seem to be of the opinion that kicking is important for a goalkeeper :me?:

I eagerly await your reply :yawn:

That'll come down sharply as the window progresses.

Don't know the level of interest in him, but unless he's premiership bound i should think the price will drop to around 200 -250k. by the end of the month - presuming he's due to be out of contract.

Is he MUCH better than Wilkshire? :dunno:

He is more combative than LW (not difficult).

Quite skillfull, but probably won't score the goals that LW would.

Having said that, if LW won't sign a new contract, none of that matters. :(

i get the feeling rochdale are less keen to flog holt now several of his admirers (swansea, Walsall, shef wed, notts forest) have got hold of forwards elsewhere.

Sheff Weds released Holt for nowt so it would be ironic, but not unheard of, if they re-signed him for big dough, which, I don't think they've got although they did bid £750k for Trundle and Tyosn who both turned them down.They've signed a little guy in Burton so don't rule them out

i agree, his record isn't amazing over his whole career, and he's spent alot of it down at this level. but i get the feeling he's reached that point where his experience, fitness and metal state are making him very difficult to play against.

He also has a good goals per game ratio this season.Just something to think about.He's only scored one more this season than Walker at the Gas!!

i also don't think his arrival should be seen as the end for stewart. its more likely to leave gillespie without a hope if anything.

Or both.If one striker arrives Stewart will stay.If two arrive, it's bye, bye, MS & Gilly.

hayter would offer another differerent threat to what we presently have in savage, stewart and brooker. plus can see him being alot cheaper than often quoted. with six months on his contract and past 25 he won't go for more than 225k, especially see as a player of leon knight's age and pedigree was only 125K + large sell-on.

Hayter is worth money up until the 31st Jan & nothing on Feb 1st.His value is decreasing by the day.The same applies to Wilkshire. £100-150k.

Do we really want to sign a consistently average league 1 striker? 88 goals in 277 starts doesn't really inspire me.

I'd look at his form over the past two seasons, thats what counts and the same applies to Grant Holt.

After all MS has scored a pile of goals in his career........and four for the City including a penalty :(

Having said that, if LW won't sign a new contract, none of that matters. :(

would rather we kept skippy over bringing in any more player of central mid, but is unlikely he'll stay.

we have presently have Scott Brown, Alex Russell, Luke Wilkshire, Grant Smith, Cole Skuse (who i still think was better centre back), Bradley Orr (who looks better at right back) and now David Noble all competing for two central midfield positions.

of those 7 players i think one has been 'repositioned' (Orr), one should be 'repositioned' in my opinion (Skuse), one is not really in first team contention (Smith) and one might leave, either now or in june (Wilkshire). if your strict, that leaves 3, but five if you leave Luke and Cole in the equation. Brown and Wilkshire have proved adaptable to wide areas, but i see them both at home in the center. i don't think we need Stock in our present situation, especially with Scott Brown waiting in the wings. he has always looked very competative and hungry for action, and i think he has a very bright future.

saying that, if Skippy gets shipped out i think we could do with another midfielder for that position, and Stock could be an great buy.

Sheff Weds released Holt for nowt so it would be ironic, but not unheard of, if they re-signed him for big dough, which, I don't think they've got although they did bid £750k for Trundle and Tyosn who both turned them down.They've signed a little guy in Burton so don't rule them out

sheff weds do tend to get very striker hungry, its true. looking at their squad compaired to last seasons promotion team the one area lacking any real investment was the forward line. But now with Tudgay, Burton, Corr, Reet, Graham and McLean all on the books, even the owls might have enough in their locker!

He also has a good goals per game ratio this season.Just something to think about.He's only scored one more this season than Walker at the Gas!!

my point exactly. some players need to develop as goal scorers. finding utter naturals like Lita, who hit a goal every second game from day one is rare. if anything i prefer strikers who have gained their eye for goal themselves, as they are less likely to just suddenly lose their touch, like some gifted forwards can.

Or both.If one striker arrives Stewart will stay.If two arrive, it's bye, bye, MS & Gilly.

true, but i don't think GJ is looking for two strikers

Hayter is worth money up until the 31st Jan & nothing on Feb 1st.His value is decreasing by the day.The same applies to Wilkshire. £100-150k.

I'd look at his form over the past two seasons, thats what counts and the same applies to Grant Holt.

this is very very true. all this big money talk will calm down in a week or two and i get a feeling GJ won't be willing to spend too much (especially not over the odds) right now. he has said how he is happy with the players, and plus if he spend 200K+ on a new striker we're all going to suddenly expect promotion! from what i know of johnson he'll bide his time if needs must, and have a bgger shake up in the summer months.

Archived