IGNORED

Tony Banks

Niall

As some of you will know, I work in Government Relations. In this game, you meet a lot of two-faced sorts and at times, it stretches your belief in humankind.

However, I had the honour of knowing Tony Banks for the past decade or so, primarilly when I was running the RSPCA's parliamentary campaigns and I can tell you that he was a diamond. Because Tony knew Alan Dicks was a member of the '55 Chelsea championship winning squad (and knew my connection as Alan's nephew), whenever we met he always commented on City's progress. He usually did this by taking the p!ss but, like any true football fan, it was always good-natured.

Like anyone who knew Tony, there are dozens of fantastic stories. My favourite personal one was from September 2002 when we were walking to my car (I was the sober one, offering lifts) after a reception at Party Conference. Strolling through the carpark, he saw an empty carton of milk and after I'd lost my marker (!), he shouted 'on your head, Niall'. At that point the (full) carton was belted in my direction, covering an expensive suit in sour milk. Cue hysterical laughter and him picking up the dry cleaning bill.

Irrespective of your politics, TB was a great man and will be missed by all football fans. I am genuinely gutted.

I never had the good fortune of meeting him, but Tony Banks always shone through as the type of politician you want. He came accross as being human, in touch, sincere, intelligent and funny. I was saddened when I heard of his death on breakfast news this morning.

My condolences to friends and family.

While I've deviated from him on the politics over the last few years - even he said towards the end of his MP'ship he was fed up with the whingers and whiners who turned up at his surgery (snap!) - his energy and support for animal rights and sport was exceptional.

Top man. He deserves a sainthood.

As some of you will know, I work in Government Relations. In this game, you meet a lot of two-faced sorts and at times, it stretches your belief in humankind.

However, I had the honour of knowing Tony Banks for the past decade or so, primarilly when I was running the RSPCA's parliamentary campaigns and I can tell you that he was a diamond. Because Tony knew Alan Dicks was a member of the '55 Chelsea championship winning squad (and knew my connection as Alan's nephew), whenever we met he always commented on City's progress. He usually did this by taking the p!ss but, like any true football fan, it was always good-natured.

Like anyone who knew Tony, there are dozens of fantastic stories. My favourite personal one was from September 2002 when we were walking to my car (I was the sober one, offering lifts) after a reception at Party Conference. Strolling through the carpark, he saw an empty carton of milk and after I'd lost my marker (!), he shouted 'on your head, Niall'. At that point the (full) carton was belted in my direction, covering an expensive suit in sour milk. Cue hysterical laughter and him picking up the dry cleaning bill.

Irrespective of your politics, TB was a great man and will be missed by all football fans. I am genuinely gutted.

Nice story Niall - there's so few genuine people in party politics (of any hew), it is a shame that such a man has been lost.

His stance on setting animal against animal (in the name of "sport") was spot on, pity the legislation that was supposed to eradicate it was so lame.

Archived