Woodman

Transfer monies received.

We want to keep our best players but if they want to leave :-

Hill

Lita

Anyinsah

Coles

Rosenior

We have to do the best we can in the transfer market as we do.

With regard to SG the offer from Reading was good, he was not currently in the first team and he wanted to consider the offer. All 3 parties therefore the club, manager and player thought it was the right thing to do.

Steve.

My new year resalotion was not to post on the academy but having read Mr Lansdown reply about scott G

I fill i must take issue with what he said"With regard to S G the offer was good ]

1 "Well I consider any thing less than 500k plus add ons would be poor return on him by not telling us the fee is it because it was so good or so bad a lot of posters think it would have been less than 200k which would be peanuts even with add ons.

2 Should an academy Player be told of an intrested party after all he is tied to the club until his apprentship comes to an end then would still need to go to a tribunal, it is going to unsettle him

3 He is not in the first team well he has just come back from injury and was trying to get fit again and in truth a lad of that age is in and out of the first team as young players lose form often

4 Most of the players that have come through the academy have been sold to cheaply apart from Lita the money for the rest is peanuts.

5 I resigned myself to the fact that at 200k it is worth keeping but when you see young player leaving the for little money it makes you wonder.When we gave 325k for Miller?

[Post #2

Chairman

Group: BCFC Officials & Staff

Member No.: 5

The Academy is judged by the players in the first team:-

Cotterill

Skuse

Woodman

Hill

Lita

Anyinsah

Coles

Rosenior

With regard to SG the offer from Reading was good, he was not currently in the first team and he wanted to consider the offer. All 3 parties therefore the club, manager and player thought it was the right thing to do.

Steve.

My new year resalotion was not to post on the academy but having read Mr Lansdown reply about scott G

I fill i must take issue with what he said"With regard to S G the offer was good ]

1 "Well I consider any thing less than 500k plus add ons would be poor return on him by not telling us the fee is it because it was so good or so bad a lot of posters think it would have been less than 200k which would be peanuts even with add ons.

2 Should an academy Player be told of an intrested party after all he is tied to the club until his apprentship comes to an end then would still need to go to a tribunal, it is going to unsettle him

3 He is not in the first team well he has just come back from injury and was trying to get fit again and in truth a lad of that age is in and out of the first team as young players lose form often

4 Most of the players that have come through the academy have been sold to cheaply apart from Lita the money for the rest is peanuts.

5 I resigned myself to the fact that at 200k it is worth keeping but when you see young player leaving the for little money it makes you wonder.When we gave 325k for Miller?

1. 500k for an unproven player isn't going to happen. You're being unrealistic in your fee even if he has potential.

2. Yes an academy player should be told- it is their career.

3. Yep

4. I'm not convinced that's true. And if there is some truth in it then the club didn;t have much choice in the matter.

5. ? Miller was proven goalscorer in Scotland.

If the offer was not "silly money" then it was a stupid idea to take it, Golbourne will be worth a hell of a lot more in 18 months and the left side of our team is the weakest area by far. The lad has a lot of talent and a great attitude, and with SteveL still keeping the fee under wraps we can only assume it's rubbish - they told us about Lita after all.

Nibor

Personally, I thought the Chairmans answer was fine..however...

And you broke your resolution why???

I would very much doubt whether apprentice or not, his agent would keep quiet

You don't think maybe GJ didn't consider him?

4 Most of the players that have come through the academy have been sold to cheaply apart from Lita the money for the rest is peanuts

Peanuts?? Guesswork..as are most of your assumptions surrounding the cost of the academy.

5 I resigned myself to the fact that at 200k it is worth keeping but when you see young player leaving the for little money it makes you wonder.When we gave 325k for Miller

Doesn't make me wonder....we gave £325, it didn't work out for the lad, we got a load back...you wan't to start bleating when we sign a bellion..

And in summary, sadly your resolution not to post on the academy lasted as long as mine which was not to read your inacurate rants..please try again, i will...

Guest ashtonyate

You answer all the other bits what about this one is less than 500k good or bad

[Post #2

Chairman

Group: BCFC Officials & Staff

Member No.: 5

The Academy is judged by the players in the first team:-

Cotterill

Skuse

Woodman

Hill

Lita

Anyinsah

Coles

Rosenior

I was under the impression that Scott was made aware of the offer after the club had agreed a price on his head. They then released the story before he was able to consider the offer or 3 days before he'd even talked to Reading.

In my eye's thats forced to go or look stupid, Gary johnson said on the radio on Saturday we have sold a lad (scott) when in fact the deal hadn't even been done. The club (Bristol City)could easily have looked stupid if his parent had refused to sign the transfer deal, people are forgetting he's still there responsibility, and he not of age yet.

Guest Harry Dolman

I quite liked Golbourne & whilst it was good of Tinns to blood him in the 1st team, his performances against MK Dons & then Barnet convinced me that he was a good few years away from being 1st team material. He just seemed way too lightwieght.

In an ideal world the academy would produce gem after gem that goes on to benefit our 1st team. However most football fans have fairly short term demands - I.E promotion this/next season, not wait 5 years till Scott G develops into a top class player.

If we sell academy players who are not currently in our 1st 11 & use the funds to buy players that will improve the quality of the 1st 11 NOW, then I see this as a perfectly sensible use of the academy. Especially as there will be appearance related "bonuses" & a sell-on clause.

You answer all the other bits what about this one is less than 500k good or bad

My answer was such due to the fact that you didn't appear to be saying anything at all...however...£500K would be astonishing for a lad with less than 20 games in division 2 (old Money) or 3 (Old Old money) under his belt, so we can ignore your hoped for figure in your Q/A. We then rely on "Some Posters" (obviously mates with "Source") saying less than £200K..so, is "less than £200K" equal to £100K or £199K?? I would say £200K with decent add ons was a pretty good deal.

And as for us not being told, I will always return to the point that a huge amount of people on this forum cannot grasp..that is why the hell should we be told? It has absolutely nothing to do with us, (unless you are a shareholder, in which case you may want to look up the deal in the accounts). It would serve of ABSOLUTELY no benefit to either ourselves, or Reading, were this info to be given to anybody outside the clubs...witness

scenario 1) Oh..Mr Madjeski..you paid £200K for a 17 year old with no footie under his belt? In that case my player will cost you £1 Million rather than the £500k he would have before we saw that.

scenario 2) Oh, Mr Lansdown, you want to sign our ageing goalkeeper as cover? Good job you have some money to spend!

I will leave a question for you now..in Pounds, shillings and pence, how much would we have to sell ONE player in a season, for you to be satisfied that one of the most succesful businessman in the country, and an accountant to boot, knows more about running this great club than you do...

Surely it's his right to know, if you had a job offer from another company and your current bosses rejected it without telling you I don't think you'd be too happy.

Guest ashtonyate

My answer was such due to the fact that you didn't appear to be saying anything at all...however...£500K would be astonishing for a lad with less than 20 games in division 2 (old Money) or 3 (Old Old money) under his belt, so we can ignore your hoped for figure in your Q/A. We then rely on "Some Posters" (obviously mates with "Source") saying less than £200K..so, is "less than £200K" equal to £100K or £199K?? I would say £200K with decent add ons was a pretty good deal.

And as for us not being told, I will always return to the point that a huge amount of people on this forum cannot grasp..that is why the hell should we be told? It has absolutely nothing to do with us, (unless you are a shareholder, in which case you may want to look up the deal in the accounts). It would serve of ABSOLUTELY no benefit to either ourselves, or Reading, were this info to be given to anybody outside the clubs...witness

scenario 1) Oh..Mr Madjeski..you paid £200K for a 17 year old with no footie under his belt? In that case my player will cost you £1 Million rather than the £500k he would have before we saw that.

scenario 2) Oh, Mr Lansdown, you want to sign our ageing goalkeeper as cover? Good job you have some money to spend!

I will leave a question for you now..in Pounds, shillings and pence, how much would we have to sell ONE player in a season, for you to be satisfied that one of the most succesful businessman in the country, and an accountant to boot, knows more about running this great club than you do...

I think running a football clubs is different than business in the fact that fans are expected to follow the club through thick and thin and in the end may have to pick up the pieces like in 1982.As for running a great club knowing more than i do, well some of the things he has done in the past I wonder and it is well knowen that business men would never run their companys like they run their football teams.Also I still say 200k is crap for a player with Scotts pedgree

Guest ashtonyate

He hasn't got a proven pedigree yet, its all speculation, not many England youth team players progress through to play in the seniors.

You are right he is not a proven player but he is good enough for reading to want to buy him

You are right he is not a proven player but he is good enough for reading to want to buy him

As were Scott Murray, and now Leroy Lita, both of whom are not living up to their hype...

Guest ashtonyate

As were Scott Murray, and now Leroy Lita, both of whom are not living up to their hype...

But at 200k well thats what alot of fans think we got for him, reading are in a no lose situation

But at 200k well thats what alot of fans think we got for him, reading are in a no lose situation

And so are we. Well we are if Johnson and Lansdown use the money received wisely.

Reading have earned the right to be in a "no lose" situation by having more committed players and better management than City in the past few years. We have to sort these things out before we can begin to commit again. Luckily the Academy is currently providing some finance to do this whilst simultaneously improving the first team.

I think running a football clubs is different than business in the fact that fans are expected to follow the club through thick and thin and in the end may have to pick up the pieces like in 1982.As for running a great club knowing more than i do, well some of the things he has done in the past I wonder and it is well knowen that business men would never run their companys like they run their football teams.Also I still say 200k is crap for a player with Scotts pedgree

1. No different.... We can all choose, and many do, witness 15K in Div one, 12K when things are going well, and 4.5K whem you have to pay to watch us get dumped by Barnet...I suspect Tesco would be freaked out by that customer retention.

2. Err...what picking up was carried out in 1982?? We went bust, experienced players ripped up their contracts, new company rises and we proceed to scrap, scrape, and battle at places like Dulwich Hamlet, with what?? I will tell you what....kids...youngsters...boys....err...if only we had an academy? What did we do as fans? Other than turn up....what did we lose??

3 And I say £200K for a 17 year old is not crap....Scotts pedigree??? His father played??? Or has he achieved something elsewhere? ???Prospect yes, pedigree no...

You really are the voice of insanity who will not rest until the ghost of David Nugent and Trevor Morgan rise from the ashes like a phoenix..

Look at a number of deals involving Lower Division Clubs selling youngsters to Top Clubs It has been mentioned elsewhere that Liverpool are buying a McDons keper after just 3 games. The offer Scott have is basically to join a Premiership Club in waiting, he is hardly likely to turn that down. Unfortunately, there is litle we can do other than get the best possible deal, plus sell-on clauses. Thats how football works, and if we want a Conference/ 4th Division player, it works to our advantage.

Ultimately, City could not stand in his way, and in all honesty, the fee was probably about right. Good Luck Scott!!!

Archived