IGNORED

Ian Evatt

Luke_Ciderhead

Guest The Codfather 0312
We looked at Evatt as a possible signing last season. A commanding central defender if my memory serves me correct.

Well he's just been released by QPR, to the confusement of many Rangers fans as they seemed to rate him. Worth a look at surely?

I have always rated him so yes it would be worth a look.

We looked at Evatt as a possible signing last season. A commanding central defender if my memory serves me correct.

Well he's just been released by QPR, to the confusement of many Rangers fans as they seemed to rate him. Worth a look at surely?

Blimey, thats a surprise :o

I tought they paid a fee for him in the summer :dunno:

My mistake guys, he has actually been transfer listed rather than released. Its in a copy of a London paper, ill cut and paste the article:

Ian Evatt has been placed on the transfer list as QPR begin clearing the decks to make room for new signings.

The big centre-half, signed for £150,000 from Chesterfield only last summer, is one of five Rangers players to be told they can leave the club.

Midfielders Marcus Bean and Adam Miller are also surplus to requirements, while Aaron Brown has signed for Swindon following a loan spell with the League One strugglers.

Another of the Rs' summer signings, Nigerian defender Ugo Ukah, has also been made available for transfer after making just two appearances for the club.

By contrast, Evatt has pulled on a hooped shirt 18 times - but manager Ian Holloway decided he had seen enough after last month's back-to-back defeats by Coventry and Brighton.

"Ian Evatt was captain at his old club, so he's not a nugget - but he knows how I feel about what he's been giving me so far," Holloway told the Times.

"You need to have a lot of pace and be confident in your pace. I've put him in the reserves and it's up to him how he responds to that.

"He had a lot of clubs after him in the summer and, if I do manage to bring in other defenders during the window, he'll be further down the pecking order."

"He came back and had a little chance to get back in the first team, but the fact is I chose Evatt and Beanie and we lost a couple of games, then I left them out and we started winning again."

QPR paid 150k for him, so I'm sure we could get him for a small fee. Reading the article doesnt look too promising about how hes turned out recently though does it?

EDIT: Link here: http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/content/camd...3A17%3A24%3A393

Guest The Codfather 0312

Any bets on how long it will take for someone to post a thread saying that they have heard from there qpr sauce that city are to exchange Stewart for Evatt.

Guest Harry Dolman

He's a central defender.

Nibor

I thought whilst on loan at Swansea he played in midfield.

Bit odd Hollowhead slating Evatt for a lack of pace - he has never had pace & moving from Derbyshire to West London is hardly likely to make him quicker!

In my eyes he's a solid centre half. Will win a lot in the air, is decent on the ball, will score a few from set plays but will get found out by real pace. I guess you could say he is a slightly better version of Heywood.

Wouldn't mind him coming on board but for me the left side & upfront are the key priorities. Carey & Heywood are doing ok at centre back, Partridge is on his way back and Keogh, Orr Skuse could pla there is necessary.

I thought whilst on loan at Swansea he played in midfield.

He might have done, it's not his primary position and not needing more midfielders is therefore not a negative as the other poster seemed to suggest.

Bit odd Hollowhead slating Evatt for a lack of pace - he has never had pace & moving from Derbyshire to West London is hardly likely to make him quicker!

Sounds to me like Hollowhead is skapegoating Evatt.

In my eyes he's a solid centre half. Will win a lot in the air, is decent on the ball, will score a few from set plays but will get found out by real pace. I guess you could say he is a slightly better version of Heywood.

Agree, I think he's definitely a ball winning centre half but he's more rounded than most and good on the deck. He's not pacey but in all honesty that doesn't seem to matter in this division.

Wouldn't mind him coming on board but for me the left side & upfront are the key priorities. Carey & Heywood are doing ok at centre back, Partridge is on his way back and Keogh, Orr Skuse could pla there is necessary.

Keogh is not deemed ready yet, Fortune is a goner. Orr can fill in there perhaps but only in an emergency and assuming J Smith goes he's our only right back. Partridge is really the only other recognised centre half we have and I think Johnson may well play him at left back, which he's played for Wales before.

Therefore I reckon if Evatt is available for a small fee he would be a good signing to strengthen the squad.

Nibor

just seen it confirmed on sky sports as well.

qpr would look to recoup some of the 150k they paid out for him, but even that is faily cheap for a good defender at this level.

a central defensive partnership of heywood and evatt would be physically imposing, something which we have lacked in recent years. keogh is a decent prospect, and carey and partridge are solid, but getting evatt on board would be a real coup for us.

a left back, a left footed midfielder, a goalkeeper and another striker should all be on the shopping list, but this would be a useful signing.

the only sticking point i can see at the moment is our position in the league, but give him enough money, and its feasible we could get him.

Guest Harry Dolman

But also completely devoid of pace. We'd have to defend on the edge of our six yard box to negate it!

Absolutely, if we got Evatt (which I doubt will happen) it would either have to be to compete with/replace Heywood or as a defensive midfielder.

In this division you can get by with a big slow centre half who wins all the headers, as long as he is partnered by a quicker guy (in addition, you defend a lot deeper as we have started doing) - but to have 2 slow coaches at the back would be dodgy.

Absolutely, if we got Evatt (which I doubt will happen) it would either have to be to compete with/replace Heywood or as a defensive midfielder.

In this division you can get by with a big slow centre half who wins all the headers, as long as he is partnered by a quicker guy (in addition, you defend a lot deeper as we have started doing) - but to have 2 slow coaches at the back would be dodgy.

I disagree. In this division you can get by with two beefy strong centre halves. It's when you step up you need pace. How many truly quick strikers are there in this league? How many times have we found it impossible to break down a big hard defence even when we had pace in the side?

I reckon if Evatt is available on the cheap it'd be a good signing for cover, competition and the option of playing two big players.

Nibor

Guest Harry Dolman

I disagree. In this division you can get by with two beefy strong centre halves. It's when you step up you need pace. How many truly quick strikers are there in this league? How many times have we found it impossible to break down a big hard defence even when we had pace in the side?

I reckon if Evatt is available on the cheap it'd be a good signing for cover, competition and the option of playing two big players.

Nibor

Its funny, as I was typing the thought did occur that you could probably get by with 2 lumps at the back. Having said that, having witnessed the ease with which the Chesterfield striker (Larkin, who isn't lightning!) isolated & then skinned Heywood, I would personally have someone with a bit of pace back there.

Archived