IGNORED

We Need To Be Carefull

Bristol Boy

Hearing GJ and SL being all calm & collected about waiting until the end of Jan, puts me in mind of when DW & SL decided that they wouldn't renew anY of the players contracts when we were going for auto promotion, then subsequently the play offs, in what turned out to be DW's last season.

All very clever stuff based on the fact that IF we achieved promotion the players would be fighting to sign the new deals in the championship, we could afford to pay more for better players, who would be attracted by Championship Football etc, etc, it all made sense............until, er, we well and truly made a monze of it in Cardiff and Brighton went up instead.

As I said yeterday, a number of the potential targets have now gone:

Parkin, Holt, Knight........can't really include McCleod, but we could have probably matched Leicesters offer for Fryatt and McCleods's not finalised yet.

We now know that Hayter likes it at Bmth and turned down Huddsfld although his Chairman seemed at pains to point out that he didn't want a move to "that particular club," so that could be tactics :dunno:

Hayter & Stock are both OOC in the summer so Bmth can't be too silly or wait to long unless they're gambling on both signing new contracts and when they're OOC they're free to negotiate with other clubs and I doubt Bmth can match what they'll be offered elsewhere.

Jevons is another well mentioned target and things seem quiet at both end on that one.GJ has said he wouldn't unsettle the out of contract players.Matty Harold could be another Yeovil player we're interested in and Way is also OOC in the summer. :dunno:

Heckinbottom is said to want to stay in Yorkshire.......never mind the North and that is code for Barnsley, in my view, although Blackpool have been mentioned.

All in All, nothings happened and, while I'm not panicing either, some urgency is needed because as the targets diminish the selling club and players' position actually starts to strengthen on the basis that we can't threaten them with looking elsewhere, just hanging on until June.

From Monday, there are fifteen days left and we have several matches that can decide our season during that period.

So, whether it's publicised or not, unless we have mystery targets lined up that nobody else knows about........could be the case, but it's doubtfull, then a tad more urgency is required IMHO.

I wonder if part of the delay is that the clubs we are trying to buy from have accepted our offer and are awaiting to get a replacement in before completing the transfer.

You know like we didnt do with Heffernan/Lita!

In fairness to BT, I don't think he'd have sold PH if he knew LL was going.

On the positive side, Wilkshire is still on the books here...Roll on the end of January

That could be bad if he walks in June for nowt :(

In fairness to BT, I don't think he'd have sold PH if he knew LL was going.

That could be bad if he walks in June for nowt :(

Surely it wasn't rocket science that a decent bid was going to come in for Lita sooner or later though.

LW will more than likely walk away for nowt in the summer rather than cash for him now. Hopefully someone on the board can convince him to stay.

Hearing GJ and SL being all calm & collected about waiting until the end of Jan, puts me in mind of when DW & SL decided that they wouldn't renew anY of the players contracts when we were going for auto promotion, then subsequently the play offs, in what turned out to be DW's last season.

All very clever stuff based on the fact that IF we achieved promotion the players would be fighting to sign the new deals in the championship, we could afford to pay more for better players, who would be attracted by Championship Football etc, etc, it all made sense............until, er, we well and truly made a monze of it in Cardiff and Brighton went up instead.

As I said yeterday, a number of the potential targets have now gone:

Parkin, Holt, Knight........can't really include McCleod, but we could have probably matched Leicesters offer for Fryatt and McCleods's not finalised yet.

We now know that Hayter likes it at Bmth and turned down Huddsfld although his Chairman seemed at pains to point out that he didn't want a move to "that particular club," so that could be tactics :dunno:

Hayter & Stock are both OOC in the summer so Bmth can't be too silly or wait to long unless they're gambling on both signing new contracts and when they're OOC they're free to negotiate with other clubs and I doubt Bmth can match what they'll be offered elsewhere.

Jevons is another well mentioned target and things seem quiet at both end on that one.GJ has said he wouldn't unsettle the out of contract players.Matty Harold could be another Yeovil player we're interested in and Way is also OOC in the summer. :dunno:

Heckinbottom is said to want to stay in Yorkshire.......never mind the North and that is code for Barnsley, in my view, although Blackpool have been mentioned.

All in All, nothings happened and, while I'm not panicing either, some urgency is needed because as the targets diminish the selling club and players' position actually starts to strengthen on the basis that we can't threaten them with looking elsewhere, just hanging on until June.

From Monday, there are fifteen days left and we have several matches that can decide our season during that period.

So, whether it's publicised or not, unless we have mystery targets lined up that nobody else knows about........could be the case, but it's doubtfull, then a tad more urgency is required IMHO.

I totally agree and posted as much a couple of days ago.The recent revival has been great to see but we are still only 2 points above the relegation zone and a slipup at home and then Colchester away could put us well and truly back in the mire as Blackpool are also making strides to get out of the relgation zone as indeed are Swindon.Steve Lansdown drones on about no panic buying but we have been told that all the homwork has been done and and vast amounts of time and preparation have been carried out.So presumably signings will not be driven by panic but by preparation unless of course this was a load of bull.I hope that complacency is not settling in because this sort of attitude allowed us to stagnate under Wilson and Lansdown seem happy enough to accept this.

Two things.

1/ Although we have picked up, our current position may discourage players from signing and a couple of wins before the window shuts would be helpful in that regard.

2/ We also have to be careful not to sign someone just for the sake of signing someone. I would prefer that the club waited for the players they really want rather than buy those who are available.

Two things.

1/ Although we have picked up, our current position may discourage players from signing and a couple of wins before the window shuts would be helpful in that regard.

2/ We also have to be careful not to sign someone just for the sake of signing someone. I would prefer that the club waited for the players they really want rather than buy those who are available.

Yep, I'm getting bit fed up of people going on about this.

1. We have identified targets. GJ says we have made 2 bids. To say we haven't planned for it is crap.

2. We will hear back about those bids when the clubs in question reply. We can't answer for them can we?

3. Not need to rush in and panic buy.

4. It's going to take more than one transfer window to turn this around.

BTW Bristol Boy, do you really think we have 350k to spend? We could never have got Fryatt as he wanted to move up as well as being out of our price range. If we get 200k I will be suprised.

Yep, I'm getting bit fed up of people going on about this.

Shame :handbags:

1. We have identified targets. GJ says we have made 2 bids. To say we haven't planned for it is crap.

I didn't.

2. We will hear back about those bids when the clubs in question reply. We can't answer for them can we?

So how are the other clubs doing business

3. Not need to rush in and panic buy.

Christ, it's like listening to GJ & SL.No lets' hang on until no one is left then buy noboy! Masterstoke :blink:

4. It's going to take more than one transfer window to turn this around.

I agree

BTW Bristol Boy, do you really think we have 350k to spend?

Well Holt moved for £300k and we were after him, so yes I do and how do you know it was £350k as it was undisclosed

We could never have got Fryatt as he wanted to move up as well as being out of our price range.

Just like Holt. :whistle:

If we get 200k I will be suprised.

Then you'll be surprised because if we do bring in 2/3 as GJ has mooted it will exceed £200k.

'I didn't.'

BristolBoy, I wasn't suggesting you didn't. Some people on this thread did. I was only replying to your Fryatt comment but nevermind.

'So how are the other clubs doing business'

Other clubs are doing business because they agree fees- simple. We haven't yet.

'Christ, it's like listening to GJ & SL.No lets' hang on until no one is left then buy noboy! Masterstoke'

Yes, because if we don't buy anyone there will be no players left in the world. Still no point in panic buying. We aren't going anywhere this season so not much point.

'Well Holt moved for £300k and we were after him, so yes I do and how do you know it was £350k as it was undisclosed'

Where did it say on our official site that we were after him. There is no concrete proof of it and we would never spend 300k of one player at this point due to finances.

'Then you'll be surprised because if we do bring in 2/3 as GJ has mooted it will exceed £200k.'

Very unlikely. We spent nothing at the start of the season. We have little or no money.

Sorry but I have no idea what the point in this post was BB.

For starters all those players you mention apart from Knight and Parkin we could have done absolutely nothing about signing. Holt, for example - Forest or City?? Hmmmm tough one.

Then you go on to say the selling clubs position strengthens towards the end of January - but maybe not as its their last chance to get some cash for players out of contract in the summer. You can't have it both ways!

So, what exactly is the point you're making??

You're not panicing, yet SL and GJ should have more of a sense of urgency over what exactly???

:dunno:

Sorry but I have no idea what the point in this post was BB.

I'll explain.

For starters all those players you mention apart from Knight and Parkin we could have done absolutely nothing about signing. Holt, for example - Forest or City?? Hmmmm tough one.

So are you saying that Knight wouldn't have considered us? That's nonsense and it's the second time we've missed out on a proven goal scorer at this level who's till only 23.

Then you go on to say the selling clubs position strengthens towards the end of January - but maybe not as its their last chance to get some cash for players out of contract in the summer. You can't have it both ways!

Like most things in life, it's not that simple.My point is that if there are fewer players left then it becomes more of a sellers market than it is now.

So, what exactly is the point you're making??

See above.

You're not panicing, yet SL and GJ should have more of a sense of urgency over what exactly???

:dunno:

There's a huge difference between Panic and making your move at the right time or, put another way, in a timely manner.Have Swansea, Hull & Forest all got it wrong?

Let's examine what could happen and I don't doubt that efforts are going on behind the scenes to make signings.

Early next week Hayter moves to Southend??, Heckinbottom joins Blackpool and Jevons signs a new contract-Then what?

'I didn't.'

BristolBoy, I wasn't suggesting you didn't. Some people on this thread did. I was only replying to your Fryatt comment but nevermind.

'So how are the other clubs doing business'

Other clubs are doing business because they agree fees- simple. We haven't yet.

So are they all wrong doing early business as opposed to hanging on? Why haven't we agreed deals? What's so different about us?

'Christ, it's like listening to GJ & SL.No lets' hang on until no one is left then buy noboy! Masterstoke'

Yes, because if we don't buy anyone there will be no players left in the world. Still no point in panic buying. We aren't going anywhere this season so not much point.

For a team 2 points clear of relegation, that's a very bold statement.

'Well Holt moved for £300k and we were after him, so yes I do and how do you know it was £350k as it was undisclosed'

Where did it say on our official site that we were after him. There is no concrete proof of it and we would never spend 300k of one player at this point due to finances.

Where does it name any targets on the official site? If we're going to get better players, it's fairly clear that, ala Brooker last season, we need to pay fees.Free players are normally "free" for a reason-Bridges, Smith gone already.

'Then you'll be surprised because if we do bring in 2/3 as GJ has mooted it will exceed £200k.'

Very unlikely. We spent nothing at the start of the season. We have little or no money.

We're spending the money with players & agents, just not with clubs.The number of transactions in & out is horrendous and if GJ wants two players or three that will radically improve things then they won't be free or nominal I assure you.

So are you saying that Knight wouldn't have considered us? That's nonsense and it's the second time we've missed out on a proven goal scorer at this level who's till only 23.

As I've said a couple of times, I am gutted we missed out on Knight. HOWEVER, I don't think it's nonsense to suggest Knight wouldn't have considered us and it's time to face reality - Swansea is a better move for him than coming to us. I fail to see how either SL or GJ are to blame for that?? Knight has a stinking attitude anyway, Brighton fans hated him for it...

Like most things in life, it's not that simple.My point is that if there are fewer players left then it becomes more of a sellers market than it is now.

Yes, but how do you know we didn't bid for Holt, Parkin etc and they turned us down for better and more lucrative moves? Again, hardly anyone's fault and if moves were made then that's not lacking urgency...

There's a huge difference between Panic and making your move at the right time or, put another way, in a timely manner.Have Swansea, Hull & Forest all got it wrong?

Course they haven't but all three of those clubs are comfortably ahead of us in the pecking order for attracting new players - or would you disagree? You can't be suggesting that GJ is at home biding his time - he's made 2/3 bids for players! That's pro-active surely?

Early next week Hayter moves to Southend??, Heckinbottom joins Blackpool and Jevons signs a new contract-Then what?

We begin to panic!

My point is that if there are fewer players left then it becomes more of a sellers market than it is now.

Each move is taking a buyer out of the market as well.

'Well Holt moved for £300k and we were after him

But what if we were after him @£100k-£150k? Another club putting in a bid well over our valuation of the player doesn't suddenly give us twice as much money to spend.

I don't see what all the big fuss is about, we've been doing well with the squad we have, just look at our recent form.

I don't see any point in blowing all the clubs dosh just to appease a few fans who insist on signings NOW!

If GJ whats a striker then he'll get a striker he wants not who we think he should sign.

People moaning about all these players we have now missed out on is incredibley stupid. Just wait and see what happens, its not down to the fans who we sign, never has been never will be.

just wait for your SMS ok? :laugh:

'So are they all wrong doing early business as opposed to hanging on? Why haven't we agreed deals? What's so different about us?'

No one is wrong to being doing deals now, but you can't say it is wrong to hang on. Be patient. We haven't agreed deals because we haven't heard back about the two offers we made. Nothing is different about us.

'For a team 2 points clear of relegation, that's a very bold statement.'

Ye of little faith. Not all of us wanted Johnson out after that run- I have never lost faith in the guy and we will be safe.

'Where does it name any targets on the official site? If we're going to get better players, it's fairly clear that, ala Brooker last season, we need to pay fees.Free players are normally "free" for a reason-Bridges, Smith gone already.'

Nowhere yet but seeing as we put in 2 bids for players and Holt has gone, you can almost work out that we weren't officially interested. You don't always need to pay fees but in an ideal world we would. Again with little money to do so after spending nothing in the summer.

'We're spending the money with players & agents, just not with clubs.The number of transactions in & out is horrendous and if GJ wants two players or three that will radically improve things then they won't be free or nominal I assure you.'

Yes we are paying too much with agents fees. If we want to change things radically then we probably will have to spend money- although GJ didn't do a band job at Yeovil with little money. Finding the money to do this is harder said than done.

Archived