IGNORED

Long Way To Go...

shamussy

After watching todays scunny game, it really must be said that we have some way to go before becoming a major force again...

If we think about BC teams in the past (2002/03) that have been pushing for promotion and compare to today's team...

Tinnion and Bell down the left, Carey and Murray down the right. Power and pace with centre backs Butler and Hill, ditto up front with peacock and roberts. solid and creation in the middle with burnell and docherty...

questions for now...

1. where is the pace up front now?

2. Whilst Cotterill is still young he would surely be better coming on later in games when defences are tiring, there's too much pressure on him playing 90 mins each week.

3. Noble appears a useful addition, but we are still short of options in the middle of the park-Skuse is not the answer.

4. We are struggling to provide any real problems out wide, the number of decent crosses into the box has seriously reduced on the right(apart from the odd ball from Orr from 5 yards inside the opponents half) and now murray is on the left preferring to cut inside, there is little for big front men to feed off there either.

In a way the current form being ok can work against us - GJ seems to be happy now with the current crop and the urgency to get players in has gone. What do you think?

It's always going to happen on here... People get far too excited, witness a couple of wins then fancy themselves.

There's no way on Earth you'll go down, that is in my opinion... But it's simply not credible on the basis of your performances to think you'll push the P-O's. You're not Iain Dowie's Crystal Palace 2003/2004 season.

Reason: I don't think more than 4 teams will buckle and allow you to get in the P-O's.

Oh lord, I'm going to be quoted on this.

People have to accept the new reality. Of course we are not as good as we were 2/3 years ago when we reached the play-offs twice. This is a new team, which lacks that extra bit of quality in key areas - e.g. striker alongside Brooker.

This season, we just have to stay up and then build again. It's going to take time, I'm afraid. This is an interesting one.....I bet the Gas are promoted before we are (unless we get relegated of course!)

Guest alex1089

Na Rich your spot on mate, we do get ahead of ourselfs and thats because we strive for success and are desperate for it. I believe that just staying unbeaten for a while will be the main thing for now and getting a few shock results at places like colchester can lift even more confidence and be ready for next season.

People have to accept the new reality. Of course we are not as good as we were 2/3 years ago when we reached the play-offs twice. This is a new team, which lacks that extra bit of quality in key areas - e.g. striker alongside Brooker.

This season, we just have to stay up and then build again. It's going to take time, I'm afraid. This is an interesting one.....I bet the Gas are promoted before we are (unless we get relegated of course!)

Now here is the key point for me that 2/3 year's down the line is still not probably addressed. We cannot change it now, but we can dicsuss it and acknowledge that a horrendous decision is responsible for such a rapid decline.

City WERE a threatening team.

City were a scoalscoring team, others couldn't live with us.

City had a good defensive record.

That team managed by Danny Wilson will take a long while to replicate. Teams Do because in whatever walk of life you are talking about teams have to gel, work for each other, blend, have the same goal and timelines and WANT TO WIN.

Wilson developed that. One match and he's gone. Unable to support his required expenditure, but we have spent far more since.

The debate in the papers recently is that Mnagers MUST be allowed to stay for a GOOD period of time to keep consistency. Dario Grady, Wenger, Ferguson have all succeeded because they were supported over time. Sam Allardyce is another.

He's never one anything, but they are consisent and getting better positions year by year. It's a question of relavant success, NOT EXPECTED SUCCESS THAT IS OWED TO US.

Wilson was the same as Allardyce except he did win a small cup. Because he's gone, the team was bust up because of personality clashes and people wishing to put down their own personal stamp. That failed so yet another manager and another team and more expenditure. This is not a criticism of GJ.

Meanwhile, Wilson is suffering, So is Roberts, Peacock, Aaron Brown, Danny Coles, Lee Miller possibly Docs and others. More than one persons career was ruined and many more people's hopes and excitement were trashed at the same time, including the supporters.

WHY?

And for what?

It certainly wasn't worth it!

We do seem to have gone backwars but what worries me more is that the current form we have shown may just put up a smokescreen over the real issues here. GJ all of a sudden feels happy with 'his team' and appears in no real panic to purchase more players. Can cope with not winning all of the time, but would like to know that things are going to change at some point.

It's always going to happen on here... People get far too excited, witness a couple of wins then fancy themselves.

There's no way on Earth you'll go down, that is in my opinion... But it's simply not credible on the basis of your performances to think you'll push the P-O's. You're not Iain Dowie's Crystal Palace 2003/2004 season.

Reason: I don't think more than 4 teams will buckle and allow you to get in the P-O's.

Oh lord, I'm going to be quoted on this.

A fair assessment.

As a matter of interest while we're being realistic, where do you stand on Swindle's chances of staying up? Not trying to spark an argument, for what it's worth, just genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Archived