IGNORED

Beattie Not Keen On Glenn

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Southampton striker James Beattie is hoping that Glenn Hoddle does not make a controversial return to St Mary's.

The England striker has revealed that before he left for Tottenham Hotspur, Hoddle had agreed to sell the 25-year-old to Crystal Palace.

Beattie also confirmed that the way Hoddle left the South Coast three years ago upset everyone at the club.

"I thought he was a great tactical manager but he did fall out with a couple of senior players at Southampton," Beattie told The Sun.

"Hoddle agreed to sell me to Palace and said I had no future at Southampton - apart from that, we got along great!" he joked.

"The manner in which he left for Tottenham really, really got on the nerves of the fans, the chairman and everyone."

Current boss Gordon Strachan has already revealed he is not signing a new contract with the club and will be spending some time away from the game when his deal expires in May, but speculation is rife that chairman Rupert Lowe will replace him before the end of the season.

Lowe has been strongly linked with a return for Hoddle, but he will have to work very hard to win over the club's faithful if he does move for the ex-Spurs chief.

A section of the clubs fans are ready to stage protests against Hoddle at the club's next home game with Everton on February 21.

Saints legend Matt Le Tissier backed the supporters stance against Hoddle.

"I'm not a great fan of Glenn now," Le Tissier said. "I'd much prefer Micky Adams, who has done a good job at a number of different clubs."

NO TO HODDLE!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Yeah but it's a big risk appointing someone with no experiance at this level, Don't know who I want to see as Saints manager, that forum bloke sounded alright but that doesn't look like going ahead now

Archived