IGNORED

Will We Make Any Signings?

Back of the net

I don't buy GJ's statement that teams are not willing to part with their better players until the end of the window. Clearly, any team that face the prospect of losing a key player will look to replace that player. However, should they need the funds from the transfer of their key player, then if the sell at the end of the month they won't have enough time to find a replacement, or the choice of replacement will be limited as most players have already moved clubs.

Clubs will be unwilling to commit to buy a replacement before the player leaves, as any breakdown in the transfer (not agreeing personal terms etc) will leave the club exposed to additional wages they may not be able to afford.

I've a horrible feeling that behind the scenes any agreed transfers (and I was at the supporters trust launch night where GJ announced that 2/3 quality players had already been lined up) have not materialised and now City are struggling to find the players that will improve our squad.

As for Hayter, surely he is better to wait until the summer as he can then reasses his options. Should we go down this season, it would mean that a mid season move for him would be disasterous, however, should we stay up then he can move to us a free agent in the summer, knowing we will still be playing in league 1, probably getting a higher wage or signing on fee as there will be no fee for us to pay to Bournemouth.

I predict a couple of panic last week buys for us - i.e Rougier, Caskey etc.

why? because it didnt happen on Jan 1st?

Its not the summer - games are being played.

Take Hayter for example, If you have a striker in your side who is freely scoring, why would you let him leave on January 1st when he could of played another 10 games or so for Bournemouth?

Its business, but unless we pay the premium to take a player on loan first, I always expected a wait for any signings.

I think Johnson has a striker in mind, and he is happy with Carey/Heywood - with Fontaine as cover. But I'm a little concerned over the left wing, we seem to be trialing players and I'm hopeful of an out and out winger to give us some options.

Bournemouth will want to find a replacement striker if Hayter does leave. How can they do that if someone (us) doesn't buy him until 31st Janury or even a few days before. Is playing a couple of extra games worth the risk of buggering up their season by not having sufficient cover for the remaining strikers. Bournemouth only have 2 games left this month.

Because their replacement has to play games for his other club, then his replacement has to play games for his other club, then his replacement has to play games for his other club, then his replacement has to play games for his other club, then his replacement has to play games for his other club, then his replacement has to play games for his other club, then his replacement has to play games for his other club and so on.....

I don't buy GJ's statement that teams are not willing to part with their better players until the end of the window. Clearly, any team that face the prospect of losing a key player will look to replace that player. However, should they need the funds from the transfer of their key player, then if the sell at the end of the month they won't have enough time to find a replacement, or the choice of replacement will be limited as most players have already moved clubs.

Clubs will be unwilling to commit to buy a replacement before the player leaves, as any breakdown in the transfer (not agreeing personal terms etc) will leave the club exposed to additional wages they may not be able to afford.

I've a horrible feeling that behind the scenes any agreed transfers (and I was at the supporters trust launch night where GJ announced that 2/3 quality players had already been lined up) have not materialised and now City are struggling to find the players that will improve our squad.

As for Hayter, surely he is better to wait until the summer as he can then reasses his options. Should we go down this season, it would mean that a mid season move for him would be disasterous, however, should we stay up then he can move to us a free agent in the summer, knowing we will still be playing in league 1, probably getting a higher wage or signing on fee as there will be no fee for us to pay to Bournemouth.

I predict a couple of panic last week buys for us - i.e Rougier, Caskey etc.

My gut feeling as that GJ & SL will cover their backsides by saying that we have made 3 signings already.

1) Noble signed permanent 2.5 yr deal during the window.

2) Same could be said for Savage, albeit only till season end.

3) Fontaine on loan till season end.

So far GJ has said he needs a new striker, so thats all I expect to see by 31st Jan.

As for Hayter, I can't see it happening as he would make more by going on a free in the summer.

I agree with you, I can see a panic buy on the horizon if something isn't in place by early next week.

As I have said before elsewhere on this forum IMO we will not sign anyone until the summer as SL will say why pay £150k now when you can save that in the summer.

We are in real relegation trouble and if Brooker gets injured which is a real possibility (considering his playing history) that will make it a more or less impossible to avoid the drop.

We need a goalscoring striker fast.

BCAGFC

And if every club did that.....no player movements. There have been dozens in this division with no hanging around and I don't see this as any different.

So I don't buy the "we have to wait" stuff with Hayter. He's either ready to sign or not, as the fee will have been agreed and Bournemouth happy to get it asap. If he doesn't sign today or tomorrow, I don't think he'll be coming. In which case it's plan B (is there a plan B) ?

Yes. Plan B is:

Bring Badboy Bridges Back

Archived