IGNORED

This New Striker

Dastardly and Muttley

I've been wondering for a while about our improved form, and have decided to put this argument forward:

We do not need a fast, pacy forward.

Since Bas Savage has been in the side, many people have commented on Steve Brooker's improved form.

Coincidence? Or could it be that Brooker likes playing alongside a big man as he takes a lot of the pressure away from him.

When Brooker is paired with a small guy, Brooker is left to play the target man role, holding the ball up and bringing the other striker into play, which he does to good effect to be fair. However, when paired with another big man, we start to see Brooker sharing these responsibilities and getting into more goal scoring positions.

When we went up last time, the other strikers, Goater and Cramb (?) both stated that they preferred playing with Torpey as he took a lot of pressure off them and allowed them to concentrate on getting into goal scoring positions.

I just feel that SB may suffer from "Lee Peacock syndrome", as LP once said, he's a few inches too small to be a target man, and a few too tall to be a Michael Owen type player.

Could this then mean that SB would be better off playing alongside a player who will share the physical, target man role, creating chances for each other and the players around them?

I think that we've been looking for the wrong type of player, Gillespie, Stewart, Bridges and Madjo have all been played alongside SB as a pacier forward, and saw a lot of poor results come our way. Once paired with a big man, SB and City have looked a different proposition.

I feel that we need to sign someone not entirely dissimilar to Lee Peacock, someone who can support Steve Brooker in this physical role, and also have a reasonable goals return.

For those that will point to Leroy as proof that Brooker can play the big striker's role effectively, can I say that I feel Lita was a one off, as for a small guy he really could hold the ball up effectively himself and was deceptively strong.

EDIT: As a closing thought, just look at how good SB has been in this division, now imagine two similar players performing at that standard!

Archived