IGNORED

Interesting Reading League

AndyKat87

After purchasing League news paper I read the City Blackpool review and it said right at the end, I quote "City's giant striker Bas Savage was the best man on the pitch and even earned applause from many of the home fans when he went off to be replaced by Marcus Stewart after 65 minutes"

Now do they think Brooker is Savage or that the blackpool fans were clapping but it must have been for his comedy value? Anyone who saw the game can you enlighten me on If Bas Savage was the best player on the pitch???

After purchasing League news paper I read the City Blackpool review and it said right at the end, I quote "City's giant striker Bas Savage was the best man on the pitch and even earned applause from many of the home fans when he went off to be replaced by Marcus Stewart after 65 minutes"

Now do they think Brooker is Savage or that the blackpool fans were clapping but it must have been for his comedy value? Anyone who saw the game can you enlighten me on If Bas Savage was the best player on the pitch???

Maybe not the best, but was a better player! He gets far to much abuse from, the city faithful! He is doing a vaulable job. Brooker looked over loaded when Bas went off, Stewart did nothing to help!

Not the best player on the pitch but by no means the worst. Trouble is, for all his hold up play and good footwork (yes, that's right Bas-haters!), he doesn't look dangerous enough in front of goal yet. But then, Stewart came on and failed to look deadly either.

I'll be very interested to see who GJ goes with up front next weekend.

It sums up the state of the football club when some of the fans seem to be willing to accept what in my eyes is a non league footballer. He was poor at Colchester (offering nothing in the air, which is ridiculous for a man his size) and was ineffective at Blackpool. I admire is effort but he simply is not good enough. He had a decent game at Port Vale but ultimately strikers need to score goals and he just wont score enough. Incidentally only having Brooker looking remotely capable of scoring on Sat is the reason for failing to win on Sat.

It sums up the state of the football club when some of the fans seem to be willing to accept what in my eyes is a non league footballer. He was poor at Colchester (offering nothing in the air, which is ridiculous for a man his size) and was ineffective at Blackpool. I admire is effort but he simply is not good enough. He had a decent game at Port Vale but ultimately strikers need to score goals and he just wont score enough. Incidentally only having Brooker looking remotely capable of scoring on Sat is the reason for failing to win on Sat.

Hey we're in the relegation dogfight, skills we have aint working, and with Baz in t'team we've lost twice, only. I don't like it any more than you, but welcome to the reality of being bottom five................

I agree with you in some aspects of your post, but who else have we got?

MS is a shadow of himself last season, Gills on loan so we have no one else unless GJ pulls of something this week in respects of gettin a striker in for which i doubt very much, I would love to be proved wrong though, so that only leaves BS to play up front with Brooks.

For some people who criticise BS from the first minute to the last, irrespective of what goes on in between, he will always be a comedic figure.

That's a shame and I always think that you should listen to what opposition fans say.

On leaving the ground after playing Port Vale, Rotherham, S****horpe I have heard opposition fans extolling the virtues of both Savage & Brooker and commenting on the fact that we got him free.

He isn't better or anywhere near as good as SB or MS, however, if Brooker was out for the Swansea game, based on what we currently have, he'd be the first name on my team sheet to play next to Stewart.

He doesn't get booked or give loads of free kicks away ala Peacock, for example and he's quite mobile for a big guy.

It's OK playing smaller guys uop front if your wide players and central midfielders get past the ball and provide crosses, which ours don't and that means you need a player who can feed off the second ball, hold it up and play others in and BS can do that.

I would rather have Clive Platt, who is a similar, more expereinced player who also gets goals, however, he's at MK Dons so, as I have repeatedly said, until we have better player of the "big guy, type", he'll do for me.

Hey we're in the relegation dogfight, skills we have aint working, and with Baz in t'team we've lost twice, only. I don't like it any more than you, but welcome to the reality of being bottom five................

I thought we'd only lost to Col U :dunno:

It sums up the state of the football club when some of the fans seem to be willing to accept what in my eyes is a non league footballer. He was poor at Colchester (offering nothing in the air, which is ridiculous for a man his size)

I thought he won more than Brooker and had a hand in Murrays goal.

and was ineffective at Blackpool.

That's just plain wrong

I admire is effort but he simply is not good enough. He had a decent game at Port Vale but ultimately strikers need to score goals and he just wont score enough. Incidentally only having Brooker looking remotely capable of scoring on Sat is the reason for failing to win on Sat.

I agree that we need more goal threat and would start Stewart next to Brooker Saturday, even if we sign Hayter, I'd put him on the bench with Bas.

One point, we weren't exactly knocking them in left, right & centre when Stewart was in the starting line up!

Some people seem to operate with blinkers on with regards to Bas. If, as you suggest, he is a non-league footballer, what does that say about the rest of the team, given that he has been one of our better performers since he came into the team? Saturday was his weakest performance, I would say, and yet he still wasn't the worst player on the pitch by a margin. Which makes him a Division 2 footballer in my humble opinion.

He's not Pele, but he's got himself in the starting XI by merit and the sooner some people take their blinkers off and accept that he has plenty to add to the team, the better. When you think that it is a toss-up between MS and BS for the starting role on Saturday, and that BS has kept MS out of the team on merit, perhaps your complaint should be aimed at the player with a far finer pedigree - and on a far higher salary - who has not been able to do enough in his copious starts to justify being an automatic selection. I'm not saying Bas is the second coming - we all agree that we need another striker - but I hate the way so many people prejudged him and now refuse to change their views despite the evidence of their own eyes (assuming they go home and away and have seen him play enough).

Read your first sentence. I'm afraid it makes you come across as an arrogant prat.

Just a quick question. On this thread I read that Brooker is better when operating alongside a target man who takes the pressure off him, yet elsewher i am reading that Hayter will solve all our problems, even though he is 5ft 9in, so Brooker will then be the target man. Am I missing something.

Regarding Bas, come on, he is doing a job for us. Not the greatest talent ever (Understatement of the day?), but he has nuisance value, and once we sign a proper striker, he will be useful as a Sub.

Savage need sto score a goal and put in a match winning performance against Swansea to really make his mark. He does set up alot of play and goals, but he needs to score GOALS to really be a hero.

Brooker doesn;t offer much else but a goal threat, but that is what he is there to do. I will drop down dead if he actually lays on a chance for Savage.

Savage will only get better, it must be strange when you are fighting for your career. If he gets a longer contract and feels settled at the club, we might see the emergence of a star player.

Then he will probably get sold for profit.

Football eh!

Bas Savage is, without doubt, one of the worst players I have seen in a City shirt. I don't think Guy Madjo was that much better but he seems to be doing a great job at Forest Green and they rejected Bas. All the cheers and applause are ironic, I'm afraid. He is useless

Pahlease Bas has bags of potential, he rejected Forest Green, Grimbsy, Cheltenham, and asked Coventry to release him so he can play games. They are stone broke and signed him on a pay as you play. You don't get paid if your not played, they are clever down at the Ricoh.

It is alright for Dennis Wise to go there on that deal. He is a millionaire many times over.

He needs more goals though to win the fans over, the irony is when he does, he will probably get sold.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ext/default.stm

Reading through this, he made about 2 crosses (one of which was blocked) 2 shots (over the bar and wide) fouled once and was fouled once (in his own half)... Am happy supporting the guy as a city player but hope he improves finishing and heading soon.

His heading will never be great, but he can still be a nuisance in the air, hopefully he will score a few more goals.

don't mean to slate the bloke but a nuisance in the air would be better if he flicked the ball on rather than just got in opponents eyeline.

Thats true, as an attacking player he needs to do that more. Looking at the live text, no one really did much. Lets hope the Swans get stuffed, but with Premiership quality strikers like Leon Knight & trundle. I am not holding out much hope.

Leon Knight isn't that great. Sure he had a good debut but we've seen him in short spurts before. Trundle has the skills to beat Bas Savage but can also go missing in games. I think we haven't that much to worry about tomorrow. The lads will be well up for it after last game and we are starting to play with more confidence. With rub of the green we can easily overcome this lot.

Archived