p Points = Play off points ie 6th

Var = variance between Play off points and relegation Points

Season Games R Points P Points Var

2006 29 32 45 13

2005 46 51 71 20

2004 46 50 73 23

2003 46 48 81 33

2002 46 44 78 34

First thing that sticks out is how much tighter the division has got over the years.

Based on the above table the average points per game needed are

Season Games R Points P Points

2006 29 1.10 1.55

2005 46 1.11 1.54

2004 46 1.09 1.59

2003 46 1.04 1.76

2002 46 0.96 1.70

Therefore if this trend continues then the following will be the outcome of this

season and the number of points that will result in R (relegation) and P (P Off)

will be

Season R Points P Points

2006 51 71

Ok now over to the current situation and what we need 39 Points from 17 games

I am not even going to calculate that out!!

More importantly and lets put this in perspective with our goal difference we need

20 Points from 17 Games to ensure safety

Someone can now plot the fixtures left against this and then we can open up

the debate.

May be we should look at this again weekly?

Let battle commence, as we have always said we are the perceived "Big" boys in

this divsion (not the only ones) so when the smaller clubs come and no disrespect

to any of them, they raise their game. You can imagine the managers of the

opposition now come lets send those arrogant (place yuor own word) down!

Without doom or glum coming into this I reckon we have a tough battle ahead, the

team need to roll there sleeves up and sod the beautiful game, and we as fans

have to treat it like a promotion seaon and get right behind them and now!

Game on!

Guest mnporter2001

ive done the calcs its simple we win all 17 games +51 pts and safety :laugh:

but no seriously bumble that is good and i see what you mean aboutt the table tighting i think it could even be more than 51 pts to stay up. but tell you want did catch my eye was that in your prediction theres just 20 points between play off and relegation that is not alot

:englandsmile4wf:

Good point about the diffrence of 20 oints I meant to add that in my summary so apologies. If as you say it will be more than 51 points needed, then the difference between P off and relegation will be even closer!!!

It just shows you in this division at the start of the season it could be anyone who wins it or goes down!

6 Wins, 2 Draws, 9 Defeats

Should be attainable i would think!

Well worked out, Bubble! And as Thornbury Red states: 6 wins and 2 draws. Against who, though?

Let's look at this pessimistically:

At home: Swindon and Gillingham - we should be good for a couple of wins there. Yeovil and Bournemouth (once they've both sold all their players) - we should be good for at least one win against them, too.

The rest of our home games (Swansea, Brentford, Forest and Oldham) are going to be more difficult. Maybe a win against one of those and at least one draw, too.

That's four wins and one draw, so far.

Now away:

Barnsley and Southend - nope, they'll be too good for us.

S****horpe, Rotherham, MK Dons and Hartlepool - they way they're all playing, we could get a couple of wins and a draw there.

Bradford and Walsall - reckon we could get at least a draw there.

And Tranmere - well, we always seem to play well there...

So I make that six wins and three draws, at the very least.

Well, it's going to be very tight...

The bookies are a bit more upbeat on our chances anyway. Now rated only 8th most likely for the drop from 4th/5th last month.

Stan James:

MK Dons 2/9

Swindle 4/9

Roth'm 4/7

Black 8/11

Hartp 9/4

Gills 9/4

Scun 11/4

City 7/2

Vale 4/1

Wall 11/2

Tran 13/2

Yeov 8/1

I did two posts yesterday and came to almost the same conclusion.

50 points could be enough, although, as everyone is beating everyone else, it's an awful division, I said 53 safe and it could be less than 70 to achieve the play offs.

The bookies are a bit more upbeat on our chances anyway. Now rated only 8th most likely for the drop from 4th/5th last month.

Stan James:

MK Dons 2/9

Swindle 4/9

Roth'm 4/7

Black 8/11

Hartp 9/4

Gills 9/4

Scun 11/4

City 7/2

Vale 4/1

Wall 11/2

Tran 13/2

Yeov 8/1

The Gills home form which is almost the best in the Division, only Forest have won more games, will keep them up and, if they ever start winning away don't write them off for the play offs.

Yeovil could be a good bet as they have lost key players and have Skiverton, their Sean Taylor out for two months.

Guest Harry Dolman

50 points could be enough, although, as everyone is beating everyone else, it's an awful division, I said 53 safe and it could be less than 70 to achieve the play offs.

The Gills home form which is almost the best in the Division, only Forest have won more games, will keep them up and, if they ever start winning away don't write them off for the play offs.

Yeovil could be a good bet as they have lost key players and have Skiverton, their Sean Taylor out for two months.

I think that Yeovil & Hartlepool could plummet.

About ######** 20 to many for your lot

Oh go away you bitter, bitter, little man. Be a sport and admit that on this occasion you were beaten by the better team which kept it's discipline better, and move on.

1 win in 10 and disrupting your squad by buying so many players so quickly, should be of more concern than whether we can stay up.

Guest Sheepie

Oh go away you bitter, bitter, little man. Be a sport and admit that on this occasion you were beaten by the better team which kept it's discipline better, and move on.

1 win in 10 and disrupting your squad by buying so many players so quickly, should be of more concern than whether we can stay up.

Bubble

Concern, just a dip in form which a couple of home wins will put right (still 4th mind you).

Already stated "the better team won on the day". Wanted it more than us.

However it was one of the days when the underdogs raised their game whilst the superior

footballing team had an "off day". Think you may find it difficult to raise your "fighting game"

to that level each week.

However we're not bitter, I wish you the best of luck itnyour fight against relegation.

:pray:

Bubble

Concern, just a dip in form which a couple of home wins will put right (still 4th mind you).

Already stated "the better team won on the day". Wanted it more than us.

However it was one of the days when the underdogs raised their game whilst the superior

footballing team had an "off day". Think you may find it difficult to raise your "fighting game"

to that level each week.

However we're not bitter, I wish you the best of luck itnyour fight against relegation.

Thank you for the more considered post, on your penultimate point 1 defeat in the last 10 for us suggests that we can "raise our game". I actually thought that what we did was fight for our right to play football, I believe you need to do both things at this level.

Oh and I am not Bubble, he started the thread I just contributed.

Guest Sheepie

Thank you for the more considered post, on your penultimate point 1 defeat in the last 10 for us suggests that we can "raise our game". I actually thought that what we did was fight for our right to play football, I believe you need to do both things at this level.

Oh and I am not Bubble, he started the thread I just contributed.

Apologies for getting your name wrong

And I agree with your statement, "you need to fight for your right to play".

Didn't think there was a great deal of football played.

As you rightfully said, time to move on.

Good luck in your relegation fight.

Swansea Jack

to that level each week.

You clearly haven't watched us play over the last few weeks, have you?

Since around mid-December, that kind of performance has been standard-fare for us. Since the God-knows-how-many-straight defeats, we've really turned it around, and on current form, we're one of the best teams in the division. So thanks for your concern, but I don't think we need it.

However, may I offer you my best wishes in your continuing effort to remain in the play-off positions. And to think, not so long you were firm favourites to walk away with this division.....

Think you may find it difficult to raise your "fighting game" to that level each week.

I doubt we'll have to raise uour 'fighting' game to that level for the rest of the season. I've not seen a dirtier side more hell-bent on cheating than you lot all year.

And on the basis of that display I can't see you staying in the play-offs.

That'll be an eight game dip in form will it? Good to see you taking up a relegation position in the form table with us comfortably in the playoffs ;)

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/oform.html

1 Colchester United (2) 8 6 1 1 15 6 9 1.87 0.75 2.37 19 WWwWwlWd

2 Southend United (1) 8 5 3 0 12 4 8 1.50 0.50 2.25 18 WdWdwWwD

3 Tranmere Rovers (14) 8 3 5 0 9 3 6 1.12 0.37 1.75 14 dDdDWwWd

4 Bristol City (19) 8 3 4 1 13 8 5 1.62 1.00 1.62 13 lWdlDWdWd

5 Blackpool (16) 8 4 1 3 12 10 2 1.50 1.25 1.62 13 wWDlWLlw

21 Swansea City (4) 8 1 4 3 7 8 -1 0.87 1.00 0.87 7 lDdWDdll

22 Rotherham United (23) 8 1 4 3 8 12 -4 1.00 1.50 0.87 7 dDlDlWlD

23 Hartlepool United (21) 8 0 4 4 5 12 -7 0.62 1.50 0.50 4 LdDlDlLd

24 Milton Keynes Dons (24) 8 0 2 6 4 15 -11 0.50 1.87 0.25 2 lDlLldlL

p.s. Unfortunately they seem to have our next away game down as a loss already :(

City now out to 5/1 for relegation and 9th favourites. Port Vale now 8th favourites.

Sporting Index gives a current spread of 56-57.5 points for City

Archived