IGNORED

Arctic Monkeys

Boxing Kangaroo

Anyone else picked up a copy of the Arctic Monkeys album yet ??

I've listened to it a few times now, it gets better with each listen. I believe the press coverage and hype surrounding this release is very justified. The 2 singles are indicative of the quality of this album. In my opinion the best track on there is Mardy Bum.

Looks like sales of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not will beat the the current record for debut album sales during the first week of release. This was held by Hearsay (remember them ??) who somehow sold 306,631 copies of their album back in 2001 in it's first week of release.

Anyone else picked up a copy of the Arctic Monkeys album yet ??

I've listened to it a few times now, it gets better with each listen. I believe the press coverage and hype surrounding this release is very justified. The 2 singles are indicative of the quality of this album. In my opinion the best track on there is Mardy Bum.

Looks like sales of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not will beat the the current record for debut album sales during the first week of release. This was held by Hearsay (remember them ??) who somehow sold 306,631 copies of their album back in 2001 in it's first week of release.

Couldn't agree more mate. Quality album and an original sound... Love the Mardy Bum track as well! Also Scummy & Look good on the dancefloor...

Lyrically they're outstanding but musically........? Reasonably good I guess, but nothing that hasn't been done a thousand times before.

Anyone remember The Wedding Present and their debut 'George Best' album from about 1986? :whistle:

I read your post a couple of days ago and dusted off my Wedding Present greatest hits CD. I'm sure that I would have been at many of the same gigs as One Team in Keynsham having seen them play several times in the late 80s at the Tropic Club and Bier Keller.

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't linked the two but now you have I agree that there are definately strong similarities between the two. Both from Yorkshire, both guitar bands, and both tell great stories within their songs. Gedge is also a great lyricist. I'd argue there's more variety musically in the Arctic Monkeys album - the Wedding Present always had a 'jangly' guitar sound and even the slow tracks seemed to have a 100 mph pace.

I never understood back then why indie music was so marginalised and I guess I always felt that in time indie music would become popular ('pop') music. With Coldplay being so mainstream and the Arctic Monkeys getting so much hype it feels like indie music has earned its popularity. Back then I also felt the same thing about Bristol City and top flight football would surely be a given when I reached my mid 30s. Ah well.

Loving it, musics fast and punky in places, certainly funky, and the lyrics are reminisant of The Streets kinda stuff. Worthy of most of the hype.

And Mardy Bum certainly gets my vote, surely a future single "I'm in trouble again...arnt i?" Brilliant :)

The Arctic Monkeys Are A Really Good Band, but i can see them sloping downwards after all of the good press, like the kaiser chiefs really, they were a very good band, now a lot of people have heard about them all good news and then it all changes? I'm not criticising but i hope they don't get carried away with all the hype.

Best song off the album - Still Take You Home

Saw them on Saturday night and they were damn good, the place was an absolute riot.

They were outshone (in my opinion) by We Are Scientists who are probably my current favourite band at the mo. They had a sense of coolness about them that sadly the Monkeys will never have.

Quality gig even if I was almost crushed to death!

I'm sure that I would have been at many of the same gigs as One Team in Keynsham having seen them play several times in the late 80s at the Tropic Club and Bier Keller.

Scratching my head to remember where I saw them. Defo up in Manchester, but can't remember if I made it to a Bristol concert.

Re the Arctic Monkeys: I picked up the CD when I was back a few weeks ago. Its good stuff, but needs to stand the test of time to know just how good. Topic has been done to death, and it may be that I am just getting old, but its rare that I come across music now that I think will hold up against my favourites from the past.

Lyrically they're outstanding but musically........? Reasonably good I guess, but nothing that hasn't been done a thousand times before.

Anyone remember The Wedding Present and their debut 'George Best' album from about 1986? :whistle:

Tue-30-May: Carling Academy Bristol

The Wedding Present

7pm

Hoping to go. Fine bad and have seen live many many times. Have no heard the Artic Monkeys album, so I can't comment.

How can the hype be over the top seeing as they have just sold the fastest selling UK debut album of all time?

But wasn't that Hearsay song one of the fastest singles? Don't use sales as a indiction of a good band, some of the best bands ever don't do anything in the charts.

They marketed the album in a clever way which certainly helped and they or whoever manages them deserve kudos.

But I very much doubt they'll go beyond a third album.

Like I said, I think they're alright. But they are nothing compared to so many bands the UK have produced in the last 50 years.

That is my opinion.

Archived