IGNORED

Tinnion Or Johnson ?

shamussy

First, this is just my opinion.

When we first got GJ and went on a little run of 3/4 matches, fans were going nuts about how great he is. Then we lose 9 on the spin and his qualities are slated and he is not the man. Now we start getting results he is god again. I think he is ok (but no more at the mo) but reallistically the verdict is definitely out. Here's the point...

1. Points/games ratio is not much different since he took over as it was before.

2. His loan signings have been dubious-examples charlton defenders. Tinns made some good decisions re players (playing Lita, signing Brooker, Heywood etc...)

3. We are in a good spell at the moment, but we DID have good spells under tinns (it wasn't just the 7-1 game he was in charge for)

May we also remember that Tinns took over at a difficult time after disappointing in the playoffs. He also had to rebuild side and clear out bad apples. I for one would have loved for him to succeed and would have liked him to have more time.

I hope GJ is the manager most seem to believe he is, but for me the verdicts out.

In terms of discipline and fitness, GJ seems to be making progress.

I have a lot of sympathy for BT however. I think he was trying to do a lot of what GJ is now doing in those areas, and had the right ideas. I just think for him, going from one of the boys to big bad boss man was the bridge to far. A real challange to change a culture when you are viewed as from the inside.

When we first got GJ and went on a little run of 3/4 matches, fans were going nuts about how great he is. Then we lose 9 on the spin and his qualities are slated and he is not the man. Now we start getting results he is god again. I think he is ok (but no more at the mo) but reallistically the verdict is definitely out. Here's the point...

1. Points/games ratio is not much different since he took over as it was before.

2. His loan signings have been dubious-examples charlton defenders. Tinns made some good decisions re players (playing Lita, signing Brooker, Heywood etc...)

3. We are in a good spell at the moment, but we DID have good spells under tinns (it wasn't just the 7-1 game he was in charge for)

May we also remember that Tinns took over at a difficult time after disappointing in the playoffs. He also had to rebuild side and clear out bad apples. I for one would have loved for him to succeed and would have liked him to have more time.

I hope GJ is the manager most seem to believe he is, but for me the verdicts out.

Personally i think Tinnion destroyed our club as a manager.As a player he was superb.

Just answer me this question if Tinnion had come into the club just as a manager would we still be having this debate,i think not.

what do you mean when you say "the verdicts out?" Do you mean "the jury's out?"

Personally i think Tinnion destroyed our club as a manager.As a player he was superb.

Just answer me this question if Tinnion had come into the club just as a manager would we still be having this debate,i think not.

Fair point, but he didn't. He was a city legend who worked hard for the club. He spotted some good players and got them in. I still believe he would have been successful given time.

• Admin

The rest of your points were subjective but this bit jumped out.

Before Johnson arrived we were picking up points at 0.77/game which equates to 36/season. Relegation.

After his arrival (including that 7 game run in the league) we've managed 1.33/game which equates to 61/season. Comfortable midtable.

Over the last 10 games (ie since the 7 game battle between players/manager ended) we have picked up 19 points or 1.9/game which equates to 87/season. Possible auto promotion.

Yes GJ started his reign with 3/4 games unbeaten and then there was the infamous jolly boys outing, 3 players arrested, With the drink culture at the club, This was always going to happen sooner or later. The fall out and sulking that followed in my opinion, Was the cause of the 9 game losing streak, Luckily 1 player involved is out on loan, Another has not played much and is subject of enquiries and the other 2 involved have buckled down and let their football do the talking.

The interesting thing about that period is that the squad were told to tell their agents, They were all available, You can only assume that many players have now realised that they might not be as good as they were in their own minds, Most are still here.

Yes in the main the loan signings have been poor.

But, Now the squad is fitter and compete for 90 minutes and not for 30, The squad still needs a couple of quality strikers.

You say Tinnion took over at a difficult time, You are having laugh, We finished 3rd, 1 win off of auto promotion, Yes a poor performance in Cardiff, I would say most managers would have loved to have taken over under those circumstances.

I am fed up to the back teeth of all this sympathy for Tinnion and also all the 'legend' rubbish, He was a loyal servant, A good player END OF.

ok, will say this. We had good wins in the past at home, we will have them again. We have been a soft touch away from home.

The next 4 matches will go a long way to showing how far we have (or haven't) come. Barnsley (A), Brentford (H) S****horpe (A) Bradford (A)

7 points from that lot and I will see some evidence.

No comparision GJ is and always will be a better manager than Tinnion.The guy has worked marvels over the years.

GJ all the way. When we appointed Tinman I was hoping for GJ, that being said I was behind the Tinman choice, just wish he'd been appointed with an experienced person to help him. It's a shame it all happened the way it did. But I'm happy we have GJ now and hope it all gets turned around soon.

Yes GJ started his reign with 3/4 games unbeaten and then there was the infamous jolly boys outing, 3 players arrested, With the drink culture at the club, This was always going to happen sooner or later. The fall out and sulking that followed in my opinion, Was the cause of the 9 game losing streak, Luckily 1 player involved is out on loan, Another has not played much and is subject of enquiries and the other 2 involved have buckled down and let their football do the talking.

The interesting thing about that period is that the squad were told to tell their agents, They were all available, You can only assume that many players have now realised that they might not be as good as they were in their own minds, Most are still here.

But, Now the squad is fitter and compete for 90 minutes and not for 30, The squad still needs a couple of quality strikers.

You say Tinnion took over at a difficult time, You are having laugh, We finished 3rd, 1 win off of auto promotion, Yes a poor performance in Cardiff, I would say most managers would have loved to have taken over under those circumstances.

I am fed up to the back teeth of all this sympathy for Tinnion and also all the 'legend' rubbish, He was a loyal servant, A good player END OF.

:chant6ez:

Good points.

The last paragraph is spot on.

sorry will wait til we lose next time. :doh:

Surely todays performance was enough to show you that GJ is the right man for the job. We never had 11 players all play as well as the ones today did under Tinnion and since GJ has taken over we actually compete away from home, too many times we got stuffed and played off the park away from home when Tinnion was in charge.

tinnion had 6 points from 7 games

gj has 26 from 20

at that rate.

tinnion would of took us down, rubbish football with no patern of play whatsoever, pettyness beyound belief, as for taking over a team that had just lost a play-off final being difficult, get real, best defence in the division, along with the best home record, quality players left and are now in the division above, all because he didnt get on with them.

we are well rid of him.

hewas good player but an awfull manager, if he would have started at torquey or a club like that, he might of done ok, if you employ a player-manager, make sure hes popular first.

tinnion brought in lita regular and singed brooker, after that, i can think of any good he done.

i still think gj will get there in the end, i just hope its sooner rather than later.

Before Johnson arrived we were picking up points at 0.77/game which equates to 36/season. Relegation.

After his arrival (including that 7 game run in the league) we've managed 1.33/game which equates to 61/season. Comfortable midtable.

Over the last 10 games (ie since the 7 game battle between players/manager ended) we have picked up 19 points or 1.9/game which equates to 87/season. Possible auto promotion.

Good bit of analysis there Madger. Kind of proves that Johnson is a better manager than Tinnion. Of course, only promotion next year will convince everyone.

I agree

Another point forgotten by the people who just cannot let go of Tinnion is that much of the football played under him (and in Wilson's last season) was the worst in the last 20-25 years. Tinnion is gone and no amount of reminiscing is going to get him back. Time to move on perhaps.

And if people could not see the strides made by many players yesterday in terms of bottle and commitment (the sort we have not seen for a long long time) then words fail me. And we also played some half decent football at times to make it even more enjoyable.

Another point forgotten by the people who just cannot let go of Tinnion is that much of the football played under him (and in Wilson's last season) was the worst in the last 20-25 years. Tinnion is gone and no amount of reminiscing is going to get him back. Time to move on perhaps.

And if people could not see the strides made by many players yesterday in terms of bottle and commitment (the sort we have not seen for a long long time) then words fail me. And we also played some half decent football at times to make it even more enjoyable.

I agree with you entirely. Yestreday's game stirred emotions in me that I haven't felt for years down Ashton Gate.

Personally i think Tinnion destroyed our club as a manager.

Opening up a fat can of worms, I don't think you can lay the full responsibility for the current plight of our Club on the Tinman.

Also, we haven't progressed or antigressed (if thats the word) in nigh on 7 years so.....

I do personally think Danny Wilson's exit was an error.

:D

I'm in the Tinnion was inept and Johnson is clearing his mess up camp.

Totally agree, Tinnion was out of his depth.

Johnson WILL bring back the good times, of that I have little doubt.

After that performance, we should fear no-one in this league and credit goes to GJ for making the players believe in them selves for the 1st time in a long while. :dance:

I am fed up to the backe teeth of all this sympathy for Tinnion and also all the 'legend' rubbish, He was a loyal servant, A good player END OF.

Good post Rumbellow,

There has been a lot of misquoting about GJ since he came here. A lot of anti GJ fans say that he told the players they would all be looking for new clubs come January. On the back of that he is also quoted as saying that we shopuld judge him on his team in January. Too many then jumped to the wrong conclusion i.e. he was shipping out most of the old guard and bringing in virtually a new team.

The team he inherited was going down under Tinnion's management - make no mistake about it. There was no discipline, we were not fit enough and there was no confidence within the team. I also think we were close to anarchy, in that some of the players felt they were running the team. What GJ has done is to turn the rabble into a much more disciplined group of players, with a proper training regime, and who know what they are trying to do when they go onto the pitch. I think the players now understand who is the boss - they may not like it, but they respect the fact that he is.

Also, in the last few games a couple of important thing have stood out. We started to defend much better defend ( Swans couldn't score against us) and I keep seeing posters saying that we didn't look like getting beaten in games. Reminds me of 2 seasons ago when Danny gave us the best defence in the league and we were hard to beat. If GJ has got us back to that sort of a team then that will do for me.

Good post Rumbellow,

There has been a lot of misquoting about GJ since he came here. A lot of anti GJ fans say that he told the players they would all be looking for new clubs come January. On the back of that he is also quoted as saying that we shopuld judge him on his team in January. Too many then jumped to the wrong conclusion i.e. he was shipping out most of the old guard and bringing in virtually a new team.

The team he inherited was going down under Tinnion's management - make no mistake about it. There was no discipline, we were not fit enough and there was no confidence within the team. I also think we were close to anarchy, in that some of the players felt they were running the team. What GJ has done is to turn the rabble into a much more disciplined group of players, with a proper training regime, and who know what they are trying to do when they go onto the pitch. I think the players now understand who is the boss - they may not like it, but they respect the fact that he is.

Also, in the last few games a couple of important thing have stood out. We started to defend much better defend ( Swans couldn't score against us) and I keep seeing posters saying that we didn't look like getting beaten in games. Reminds me of 2 seasons ago when Danny gave us the best defence in the league and we were hard to beat. If GJ has got us back to that sort of a team then that will do for me.

This post has hit the nail on the head and you sound like you know something about football. I will guarantee now that not one pro-Tinnion poster can answer your individual comments in turn - the simple reason is that there is no answer to them. Instead, these people who have an almost child-like unwillingness to let go and accept the inevitable will just ignore your comments and post their usual drivel.

And as for people (mostly the same posters) describing Tinnion as a legend and one of the best players to ever put on a red shirt - do me a favour. In terms of ability he couldn't lace up Gerry Gow's boots. And plenty of others too.

Archived