IGNORED

Wireless Networks

bcfc seattle

ok I'm house-sitting my uncles house and thinking I'm going to have to use dial-up so after i dial-up I'm like hmm wonder if there is a wireless network here (he assured me there wasn't) well there is. I have no idea whose it is, should I use it?

I guess that is pretty retorical as I'm on it right now. I'm guessing it comes from the apartment building accross the street. but I'm connected at 11Mbps. soooooo.

ok 2nd question. say I'm using it would it be bad to also sy run my Emule on it?

Yes,... You must not download at any time (or upload) out of pure courtessy (sp?). I'm on a wireless connection and share my broadband with 3 other pc's if anyone downloads or uploads your connection significantly suffers. This is a huge pain if this person plays online games as the lag is unbelievable. Although i think its highly unlikely you'll get caught. So really it's just a question of ethics my friend. Or leave all your DL's running during sleeping hours :D

If it were me i'd try to find out whos it is, make a snap judgement (hoping he/she is an a-hole) and act accordingly. Karma is a very powerfull thing remember!

desided no E-mule or bandwidth hogging but certainly am going to use it :D can't figure out whose it is though. All that should come up on there end is my computer name and MAC #. So I'll continue to use the "monolith" wireless network. though I might change my mind and start sharing. But as everyone is on cable round here the limiting factor isn't downloading but uploading.

Archived