IGNORED

Leeds At Home, Dec 76

One Team In Keynsham

I don't remember the full line up, but I'm sure it was Chris Garlands first match back for the city after he returned from Chelsea etc.

If nobody answers this by tonight, I will dig out the programme and let you know. The thing I remember about this game was the fact that City hit the bar at some point, and nobody knew until they read it in the paper next day.

If nobody answers this by tonight, I will dig out the programme and let you know. The thing I remember about this game was the fact that City hit the bar at some point, and nobody knew until they read it in the paper next day.

Kingpin, can you remember us all cheering ( as if we had scored a goal) in the East End everytime City were shooting at the goal at the open end?, because we couldnt see a thing at that end, and I remember us hitting the bar, but as you say nobody really knew that till later.

This was my first ever time watching City. I was 6 years old and all I can remember is standing in the enclosure in front of the grandstand (Williams) with my dad & not being able to see ##** all.

Not a great start, but I've ben going ever since!

Same here, sitting on the wall at the front of the enclosure, with the occasional spirited shout of "OFF SIDE!" etc ringing around, until the game was finally called off at half time. Over 30,000 crowd that day I think?

Kingpin, can you remember us all cheering ( as if we had scored a goal) in the East End everytime City were shooting at the goal at the open end?, because we couldnt see a thing at that end, and I remember us hitting the bar, but as you say nobody really knew that till later.

Yeah remember it well, even though we could'nt see anything !! Chris Garland hit the bar and i think the chant got up to about "nine nil nine nil" :) before the game was abandoned.

Ive got the programme somewhere but would take me a week to find it !!

Yeah remember it well, even though we could'nt see anything !! Chris Garland hit the bar and i think the chant got up to about "nine nil nine nil" :) before the game was abandoned.

Ive got the programme somewhere but would take me a week to find it !!

Yeah thats it PB spot on mate, and even though the game was abandoned at half time, it was a great day, and a good laugh.

This was my first ever time watching City. I was 6 years old and all I can remember is standing in the enclosure in front of the grandstand (Williams) with my dad & not being able to see ##** all.

Not a great start, but I've ben going ever since!

Fairly sure it was my first game as well; hence the reason for my original question. I was sat near the back of the Williams and recall the Dolman disappering into the mist.

IPB Image

BRISTOL CITY V LEEDS UNITED - Saturday Dec 4th 1976, K. O. 3pm

BRISTOL CITY

1 John SHAW

2 Donnie GILLIES

3 Geoff MERRICK

4 Gerry SWEENEY

5 Gary COLLIER

6 Norman HUNTER

7 Trevor TAINTON

8 Tom RITCHIE

9 Chris GARLAND

10 Peter CORMACK

11 Clive WHITEHEAD

12 Keith FEAR

LEEDS UNITED

1 David HARVEY

2 Paul REANEY

3 Peter HAMPTON

4 Trevor CHERRY

5 Gordon MCQUEEN

6 Frank GRAY

7 Peter LORIMER

8 Ray HANKIN

9 Joe JORDAN

10 Tony CURRIE

11 Eddie GRAY

12 David MCNIVEN

Abandoned after 45 minutes due to fog. (this was Chris Garland's first game back as a City player.)

Att: 31,400

The page below is a selection of pictures taken from the above game and is copied from the programme of the rearranged fixture v Leeds United on Tuesday, May 10th 1977, K. O. 7.30pm-

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

BRISTOL CITY V LEEDS UNITED - Saturday Dec 4th 1976, K. O. 3pm

BRISTOL CITY

1 John SHAW

2 Donnie GILLIES

3 Geoff MERRICK

4 Gerry SWEENEY

5 Gary COLLIER

6 Norman HUNTER

7 Trebor TAINTON

8 Tom RITCHIE

9 Chris GARLAND

10 Peter CORMACK

11 Clive WHITEHEAD

12 Keith FEAR

LEEDS UNITED

1 David HARVEY

2 Paul REANEY

3 Peter HAMPTON

4 Trevor CHERRY

5 Gordon MCQUEEN

6 Frank GRAY

7 Peter LORIMER

8 Ray HANKIN

9 Joe JORDAN

10 Tony CURRIE

11 Eddie GRAY

12 David MCNIVEN

Abandoned after 45 minutes due to fog. (this was Chris Garland's first game back as a City player.)

Att: 31,400

The page below is a selection of pictures taken from the above game and is copied from the programme of the rearranged fixture v Leeds United on Tuesday, May 10th 1977, K. O. 7.30pm-

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ah yes, memories. And as for our number 7 there. He was mint.

1 John SHAW

2 Donnie GILLIES

3 Geoff MERRICK

4 Gerry SWEENEY

5 Gary COLLIER

6 Norman HUNTER

7 Trebor TAINTON

8 Tom RITCHIE

9 Chris GARLAND

10 Peter CORMACK

11 Clive WHITEHEAD

12 Keith FEAR

Good work Magilla! I have a stack of programmes with that cover and have been threatening to put them on e-bay for a couple of years now. Without doubt the best memories of my City-supporting career though, so I'll probably just keep them and get them out for a look occasionally when things are looking bleak :crying:

Ah yes, memories. And as for our number 7 there. He was mint.

Haha, see what you've done :laugh: But yes, Trev was mint!

I remember thay actually started the game with a White Ball and changed to an Orange one after 20 minutes or so. David Harvey must have got quite confused. I also remember Stormin' Norman kicking Ray Hankin up the arse and disappearing into the fog as the Referee blew his whistle.

I remember we beat them in the re-match 1-0 or 2-1? to grab vital points (2 points for a win in those days) which helped keep us up that season.

1-0 at home in the re=played game towards the end of the season. God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols and Complete Control by the Clash were in the charts at that time.

Be careful using the programme to see who played that day. The programmes were printed in advance and because of injuries/tactics were often wrong when it came to matchday. Some Old Boys even used to update their programmes with a pencil as the teams were read out over the tannoy.

1-0 at home in the re=played game towards the end of the season. God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols and Complete Control by the Clash were in the charts at that time.

Not sure but I think some of the original programmes for the abandoned game carried an advert in them for the Pistols (later to be banned) "God Save the Queen" single, and these adverts are quite valuable to collectors - with the record being banned and all that

(apparently later prints of the programme had the advert removed even though they were all on sale together on the day of the game)

The replayed game the following May was a vital win, with Chris Garland (who'd been getting a lot of stick from the fans) scoring the only goal in front of the East End. It was one of many important games during that month:

Norwich away (lost 2-1)

Middlesbrough away (0-0)

Liverpool home (won 2-1, both goals by Chris Garland)

and, of course,

Coventry away (drew 2-2, Gow and Gillies). I still go tingly thinking about that night in Highfield Road, a rollercoaster of emotion and the sheer delight of celebrating with Coventry fans in the pub afterwards. That's what being a Bristol City supporter is all about (well, that, and laughing at the Gas :) ).

Not sure but I think some of the original programmes for the abandoned game carried an advert in them for the Pistols (later to be banned) "God Save the Queen" single, and these adverts are quite valuable to collectors - with the record being banned and all that

(apparently later prints of the programme had the advert removed even though they were all on sale together on the day of the game)

Doubt it was for God Save the Queen: that came out in the Summer of 77 when the Jubilee was in full swing. Would possibly have been for Anarchy in the UK: that, I think, was a 76 release.

Doubt it was for God Save the Queen: that came out in the Summer of 77 when the Jubilee was in full swing. Would possibly have been for Anarchy in the UK: that, I think, was a 76 release.

But the re-arranged Leeds game would have been in May 77 I think? This was when God Save The Queen was released on Virgin (having previously been pulled by A&M when they sacked the band back in March).

So ads for GSTQ could have appeared in programmes around that time, rather than in the original Leeds programme. I don't recall it though.

Anarchy in the UK was, as you say, released in 1976 (in November) and the band would have been out on the Anarchy tour around the time of the 1st Leeds game.

I'll take a look through my 76/77 programme collection for any Pistolian content!

But the re-arranged Leeds game would have been in May 77 I think? This was when God Save The Queen was released on Virgin (having previously been pulled by A&M when they sacked the band back in March).

So ads for GSTQ could have appeared in programmes around that time, rather than in the original Leeds programme. I don't recall it though.

Anarchy in the UK was, as you say, released in 1976 (in November) and the band would have been out on the Anarchy tour around the time of the 1st Leeds game.

I'll take a look through my 76/77 programme collection for any Pistolian content!

The previous poster was referring to the abandoned game, hence my comments. Would be interested if anything is in there: it does ring a bell.

Taken from the abandoned fixture (Match No. 10) Dec 4th 1976 v Leeds Utd. Never noticed it before!

IPB Image

Archived