IGNORED

Would You Use A Forum With Advertising?

Dastardly and Muttley

Should OTIB contain adverts and make a profit for the ST, or remain as it is?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Perhaps you need three options on that

As you have, but also 'With sponsorship to cover the monthly costs of what it takes to run OTIB'

Yep, once SL decided to withdraw funding there needs to be a source of income.

Why the trust should pick up anything that's over and above the costs is anyone's guess.

Nibor

Would edit it if able, sorry Tom! Of course it depends on how you term sponsorship.....

What are the costs by the way?

I'll edit it.

You'll have to forgive me when I say the costs are somewhat confidential! I could try and hint, but thats unfair on my client and other fellow clients like BRFC :)

Do you believe it is possible to cover these costs through minimal, non-invasive adverts?

Yes, www.thefootballforum.net manage it along with donations as well.

So I don't forsee it being a problem if marketed well enough :)

Yes, www.thefootballforum.net manage it along with donations as well.

So I don't forsee it being a problem if marketed well enough :)

We haven't offically got a website sub-group. I feel that it is extremely important to demonstrate to the attendees at tomorrow night's meeting that we have plans in hand to not only cover the administration costs of otib, but make a long-term healthy profit.

(greenun @ Jan 30 2006, 11:11 PM)

This comment taken from Godzilla worries me though. If this is to be believed then the ST are in it for a profit, not just to cover the admin costs. How could we then guarantee that the ads will be small and non-invasive?

The Trust have discussed the possibility of having some form of unobtrusive advertising to cover the cost of servicing the Forum.This is to protect the investment made by ALL Trust members.

Should a profit be made,then BCFC will benefit from this,as one of the Trusts aims is to raise substantial amounts for the club.All Trust members will have a say on how the money is used.For example,the Trust could stipulate that a donation of £50,000 must be used to fund a new signing.

Can anyone suggest a easier way to raise funds from a company that is not currently associated with BCFC,than to run a few discreet adverts.

Wouldn't anyone like the opportunity to raise funds for the club and then tell them how to use it!

Join the Trust and you will be able to.

How would the adverts be placed on the forum? Pop up ones? Or something somewhere on the screen?

In discussions at the last meeting it was stated definately no pop-ups.

Are we talking banners at the top of a page or annoying flash ads that overlay themselves on top of everything? I hate those :@

It might be worth looking at google ads as these are very unintrusive...

I think they would be as per my link earlier, google adsence (or similar)

Everyone does miss a point here, it couldn't continue as it is without someone footing the monthly costs... so there has to be a revenue stream somehow

Certainly unobtrusive - can't see an ad on the site anywhere.

Give me a clue, or do I need to play hunt the add a bit longer?

Should be a box just below that title of the forum.

There is a FFS link and then some google ads :dunno:

Are we talking banners at the top of a page or annoying flash ads that overlay themselves on top of everything? I hate those :@

It might be worth looking at google ads as these are very unintrusive...

The sort of things that have been discussed are very much along the line of Google adsense,where forum users have the choice whether to view the advertisers site or not.The possibility of using the space to right of the Badge on the title banner has also been discussed.

No way will advertisments be forced upon users in the form of pop-ups or flash ads.

As Tom states,the funding to service the site needs to come from somewhere,whether the Trust run the site or Clik do.

The sort of things that have been discussed are very much along the line of Google adsense,where forum users have the choice whether to view the advertisers site or not.The possibility of using the space to right of the Badge on the title banner has also been discussed.

No way will advertisments be forced upon users in the form of pop-ups or flash ads.

As Tom states,the funding to service the site needs to come from somewhere,whether the Trust run the site or Clik do.

Thankyou CityDuke14, TomF and others, you've put my mind to rest on this issue. The ads shown on the above websites are certainly inobtrusive, and I think I would support these ads if the ST wants to go ahead with them.

What about referals? Like the link to Amazon, etc. I don't know if you can, but I'd use links for stuff I buy at work (HP, Amazon, Crutchfield, PCzone, Office Depot, Staples, etc.) I don;t know if you can link to US companies but I'd happily use them as I'm not allowed to use things like www.fatwallet.com where I'd get a percentage of anything I bought in cash back (they in theory split it 50/50).

I used to use a friends charity's webpage but they closed down, I think I brought in about $1,000 over the period of a year.

Why see what companies you can set up and have a link up at the top and let people know if they are buying stuff anyway link through otib and support the ST and the forum.

Any chance of this?

Archived