IGNORED

Easy Question, Simple Answer?

buanryoh

Can you be both a City fan and a Rovers fan? Obviously yes you can, in theory, but in relation to other people, other fans, how would you be regarded. If you were in a pub before the game and started saying to all the city fans in there, i go to every Rovers home game and every City home game, what do you think they would say?

Can you be both a City fan and a Rovers fan? Obviously yes you can, in theory, but in relation to other people, other fans, how would you be regarded. If you were in a pub before the game and started saying to all the city fans in there, i go to every Rovers home game and every City home game, what do you think they would say?

I imagine they would assume you come from the 'Forest of Dean!!'

NO CHANCE !! - one or the other - can never be both.

R U INSANE? :grr: You can never have shared loyalties! :city: Especially two clubs within the same city! I personally wouldn't dream of it, but what ever floats your boat i suppose! :rofl2br:

I'm not actually a Rovers fan, i'm 100% City fan and I have never been to watch Rovers except when they played a friendly against Man U. Also i am not insane, I was just putting forward a hypothetical question. (Just needed to clear that up). Thanks

That was in no way ment as a personal insult, just putting my point across (sorry if it seemed that way! xx), i can not see a way that you can "support" Both. When you are passionate about a club, no other club comes close, especially there local rivals. (legue positions excluded!) I'm red and red only, not purple! xxxx

That was in no way ment as a personal insult, just putting my point across (sorry if it seemed that way! xx), i can not see a way that you can "support" Both. When you are passionate about a club, no other club comes close, especially there local rivals. (legue positions excluded!) I'm red and red only, not purple! xxxx

My reply was more tongue-in-cheek than a serious reply as i know what you meant. I don't support both, but surely their must be 1 person in Bristol who does?

I suppose in theory it would be possible. Like I support City but still go and watch the local teams like Mangotsfield, BMF, Yate etc etc from time to time.

R U INSANE? :grr: You can never have shared loyalties! :city: Especially two clubs within the same city! I personally wouldn't dream of it, but what ever floats your boat i suppose! :rofl2br:

Not sure which pub it was but was in there the night we played the gas in early 90s (Tinnion penalty I think): the landlord was chatting to my dad and noted "I support Bristol football, and want both teams to do well". I shook my head in disgust and voiced my strong disapproval at such comments. Never been back there (which is fine since I haven't got a clue where it is)

Many moons ago it was not unheard of to watch both City and Rovers and not be put down as a social outcast. I suppose that as the game became more professional there was pressure from the clubs to belong a team.

Whilst I enjoy the rivalry it would be nice on the odd occasion if you didn't hear the word Gas followed by a torrent of expletives. Or perhaps I'm just odd.

Perhaps some of the forum members of...ahem...a more mature age could enlighten me on this. I seem to remember when I was a kid in the 70s that some old folks used to have season tickets for both City and Rovers. In those days before the demands of TV, the standard arrangement of a match at 3pm every other Saturday with the odd Tuesday 7.30pm kick-off was even more rigid. Thus, they could attend a home match in Bristol each week.

Is this true, or simply a myth?

In theory it could still happen, I guess, as the police insist on only one club playing at home at a time. But in practice I doubt it still happens if indeed it ever did.

Have to say, I can't ever imagine supporting more than one club. It would dilute the feelings of tribalism, loyalty and inclusion that goes with being a football fan.

Have to say, I can't ever imagine supporting more than one club. It would dilute the feelings of tribalism, loyalty and inclusion that goes with being a football fan.

You forgot to include hatred. Not as warm and fuzzy a feeling, but certainly valid.

And, whatever happened to 7.30 KOs at night. When did someone decide that 7.45 or 8 was better?

Guest Harry Dolman

Perhaps some of the forum members of...ahem...a more mature age could enlighten me on this. I seem to remember when I was a kid in the 70s that some old folks used to have season tickets for both City and Rovers. In those days before the demands of TV, the standard arrangement of a match at 3pm every other Saturday with the odd Tuesday 7.30pm kick-off was even more rigid. Thus, they could attend a home match in Bristol each week.

In theory it could still happen, I guess, as the police insist on only one club playing at home at a time. But in practice I doubt it still happens if indeed it ever did.

It kinda depends on how you define "fan". If you are a football fan with no strong allegiance to any one side inparticular then yes, you could regualrly watch both City & Rovers & wish them both equal success. However once you pin your colours to the mast of 1 side, the tribalism, loyalty etc you allude to kick in & then you couldn't support someone else, let alone the deadly rivals.

You earn too much

My dad was a die hard City fan, but people of his generation went to City one week and Rovers the next and occasionally Cardiff if it was a big game.

Remember in the 30's 40's and early 50's away travel was quite a luxury. To go to Birmingham for example was quite a trip, his main away trips were big cup games against Villa etc.

It is true. I knew many people who went to both.

i have no love for our piratical city sharers but i do miss the derbys. i'd rather have them fighting for their lives in the dvision we reside every year than pushing for promotion in the one below! but i guess the yeovil can be our derby till we finally vacate this league for higher places, because the thought of the sags getting promotion from any league makes me ill!

As a "man of the cloth" I should be a little more even handed in my opinions concerning our brethren across the city, but one of the happiest days of my life was when I heard that they'd lost at home to Wycombe and were relegated to Div 4 (or whatever). In my study I have a picture frame with the Evening Post headlines of the following day..... gives me a nice warm feeling whenever I see it.

Nothing against any individual BRFC fans, I would simply choose NEVER EVER EVER to support them.

As a "man of the cloth" I should be a little more even handed in my opinions concerning our brethren across the city, but one of the happiest days of my life was when I heard that they'd lost at home to Wycombe and were relegated to Div 4 (or whatever). In my study I have a picture frame with the Evening Post headlines of the following day..... gives me a nice warm feeling whenever I see it.

Nothing against any individual BRFC fans, I would simply choose NEVER EVER EVER to support them.

Bless you and may you soon become Bishop

In my opinion you can only support 1 team full stop, I can understand people who LOOK out for other teams, I work with a city fan who always looks out for Spurs results.

As for wanting to support BOTH City and Rovers I would say a defo no no. I don't think either set of fans would like it much.

Archived