IGNORED

Own Goals And Gaffs

BB.

I saw Rio Firdinand and Van der Sars funny mix up last night.

Van der Sar came out to collect a catch and Firdinand just stood still and let it bounce backwards of his head into the net. :laugh: Strictly speaking it wasn't an own goal but bloomin funny all the same.

I remember City away to Wigan a few years back and the ball coming of about fifteen players before eventually going in.

Can anyone else take us down memory lane to the places where some people would rather forget?

Dave Rodgers own goal at Spurs in 1978(?), it was the "main match" on Match of the Day too.

Care to paint a picture of the own goal for the benefit of those of us who were unavailable to watch that game on Match of the Day due to not being born?

Care to paint a picture of the own goal for the benefit of those of us who were unavailable to watch that game on Match of the Day due to not being born?

Certainly, fellow insomniac (or have you just come in from the pub?)

The only fault with Dave Rodgers was his ball control, he was an otherwise good (and brave) defender. In those far off days goalkeepers could handle back passes, so Dave, under pressure from an oncoming Spurs defender, decided it would be good to pop the ball back to John Shaw, who would clear the danger. He hit the ball back to the six yard line where he believed Shaw to be. Unfortunately John Shaw had advanced on Dave Rodgers and was stood practically next to him while he slid the ball into an empty net.

How we laughed :@

Surely Jonathan Woodgate's Real Madrid Debut after his injury nightmare has got to be up there somewhere

Fantastic diving header for an own goal from outside the area

then a sending off

Funniest thing I have seen on Soccer AM

:rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:

:laugh: You couldn't make it up! :pinch: Well funny!

In a City related gaff.....some years back, Stan Collymore had already hit 2 for Forest against us at home and was on for a hat trick......he gets put through on goal, beats Keith Welch with a nice low effort starts to wheel away celebrating his hat trick, arms in the air......only for the ball to hit a divot and bobble just wide of the post.....he got some stick for that i can tell you.....sadly for us City fans he gave it straight back moments later when he did get his hatrick and completed a 4-0 (maybe 4-1) rout by Forest.

Any personal stories? One match I remember playing at school, got myself put in goal...didn't really have a choice, never the less I let in three easy goals, 3-0 down thanks to me, got taken out of goal and put in defence and subsequently scored an own goal....we lost 5-1 :blush:

It was then that I realised that 'professional footballer' would never appear on my CV :(

Any personal stories? One match I remember playing at school, got myself put in goal...didn't really have a choice, never the less I let in three easy goals, 3-0 down thanks to me, got taken out of goal and put in defence and subsequently scored an own goal....we lost 5-1 :blush:

It was then that I realised that 'professional footballer' would never appear on my CV :(

Personal story - my first game back in 4 weeks just after christmas so not at my peek of fitness, slotted in straight at left back, had a torrid game playing against an ex Bristol Boys right winger, booked, misplaced every pass, fianlly got forward on a corner 3 yards out couldn't miss then BANG, ball crashes against the bar they break and get a free kick on the edge of the box. So I'm waiting for it in comes the cross 12 yards out there strikers dropped in behind me so i thought i'd better clear as far as possible, then ball skids off of my shin top corner own goal! Beat that!

we also lost 4-3 and my own goal was the winner! :blush:

Personal story - my first game back in 4 weeks just after christmas so not at my peek of fitness, slotted in straight at left back, had a torrid game playing against an ex Bristol Boys right winger, booked, misplaced every pass, fianlly got forward on a corner 3 yards out couldn't miss then BANG, ball crashes against the bar they break and get a free kick on the edge of the box. So I'm waiting for it in comes the cross 12 yards out there strikers dropped in behind me so i thought i'd better clear as far as possible, then ball skids off of my shin top corner own goal! Beat that!

we also lost 4-3 and my own goal was the winner! :blush:

:laugh: I can't beat that but this is strang but true. I used to have a terrible habbit of hitting the wood work all the time. We used to play a game called hit the bar (where you had to try and hit the bar :yawn: ) Very good game to improve your accuracy. So I blame that to be honest. I'd look up, see the goal and blast a shot too accurately! True story!

The other strange thing is that the rest of my shots would fly into row Z! :laugh:

Archived