IGNORED

Managers

Brianred

we have had different managers, who have there own ways to run the team. Going back over the years, from when you first knew the club, is there anything you would like to see from the manager of that time brought back into the club now that might help the club and GJ now? Mine would be more Bristolians.

we have had different managers, who have there own ways to run the team. Going back over the years, from when you first knew the club, is there anything you would like to see from the manager of that time brought back into the club now that might help the club and GJ now? Mine would be more Bristolians.

SORRY. More Bristolians as with Alan Dicks.

Would that be those famous scottish bristolians,Tom Ritchie,Gerry Gow and Gerry Sweeney!

Or when we got promoted would that be the Bristolian Yorkshireman Norman Hunter or the bristolian scouser Joe Royal etc.

Only joking there were a few bristol lads in the side(but there is today),memories play tricks on us,as a lot of that sucessful team were young imports for elsewhere.The young being the operative word.That is what gj is trying to do as well ,bring in young hungry players,i'm optomistic we'll be on the up soon.

One thing about Alan Dicks,in his last few years he was one of the most negative and defensive managers i can remember-wasn't all good.Never is.

My first Manager was Alan Dicks in his later tears, and I thought his sides were dull until I saw Houghton. Personally, I enjoyed the open attacking football of the Cooper years.

Harsh, harsh. Lack of faith and > investment on the part of the board at the time meant that Dicks was trying to compete in the top flight with pretty much the side that had come up from division 2. - Plus a handful of former internationals who were approaching retirement - minus Paul Cheesley. And he did ok for 3 or 4 years.

Dicks' team was hard working and difficult to beat but not too strong on skill. In the absence of the directors funding any serious team strengthening, Dicks had little choice but to play that kind of defensive game.

With stronger management at board level the whole Division 1 era could have been far longer-lived. Truth is they thought we'd be going straight back down. I don't think anyone should blame Alan Dicks for that.

Agree about Terry Cooper, my favourite City manager who rebuilt the club from absolute rock bottom. Legend.

Archived