IGNORED

Bristol Fans Derby 2006

Big Red Rich

Please read this post very carefully. This post is not brown nosing, nor am I back tracking on my comments, it is simply putting a few points straight. These points are FACT. These are not made up or dressed in pink frilly bows:

> Every year the club has lent us the reserve team kit to play in.

> Twice Steve Lansdown has managed us and once by Brian Tinnion.

> The club hosted the 2004 Fans Derby at Ashton Gate.

> Scott Murray was a guest linesman in 2005.

> Steve Lansdown refereed a game V Hull City Supporters in 2005.

With this is mind, the Steve L & the club of course feel very aggrieved that the effort they have put in over the past 3 years has not be recognized and a problem with supplying a date for this years game has put them in a bad light.

I wholeheartedly take 90% of the blame for stoking up passionate responses regarding the clubs relationships with the fans. My disappointment was indescribable and rightly or wrongly I made my feeling known without thinking too much about the consequences.

If truth be known, as I first thought and had made clear, Steve Lansdown knew nothing of the problems with the use of Ashton Gate for hosting the BFD and it came as much surprise to him to know that there had been problems as he has very much been in support of this event, as I have indicated above. It seems that the club hadn't taken into account the possibility of us using the pitch during the season and had hence, decided they couldn't host the game, a decision they probably regret making now. However, after a personal discussion with both Steve & Colin, they are both going to discuss with the groundsman the possibility of using the pitch before the season’s end - a resolution that would certainly please me, the other members of the forum team, Bristol Rovers and the 1000 or so people we hope that will turn up.

The club are more than aware of my anger and disappointment and have taken into account the views and opinions made by others and they do realise that this event is important for the fans.

I do regret the comments I made and in hindsight, my views should have been directly aimed at Steve himself rather than an open forum so we could find a solution to the ground work problem. This ground work is most certainly planned for the Sunday otherwise the club would not be working hard to try and rearrange a date during the season for the match to take place.

So, in conclusion, I am not backtracking on my points, the initial inability of the club to hold the game was very disappointing indeed, but with Steve's intervention, I’m confident of the event going ahead. I would like to point out that my original post was not slating Steve at all and in fact, I did mention that I hoped his intervention would pay off and see this game go ahead - I'm certainly a lot more hopeful that this will be the case.

Like I said, this is not an attempt at 'brown nosing' this is an apology for comments that were made in the heat of the moment yesterday that probably didn’t help matters. All I want is for the game to go ahead, our hard work to be warranted and for money to be made for Charity.

With regards to the pinned & locked topic, I thought it was sensible to remove the original topic and wanted to notify users of the reason this was done rather than have people think it was a case of over zealous moderating.

I hope you have all understood my point.

See you all at the game..................hopefully! :pray:

Richard.

Just an idea, not sure if it's possible as I've literally just this minute thought of it, but what is the possibility of having the Fans Forum match just before the City V Rovers Pre-season friendly??? Sort of pre-match entertainment? I hope this won't take any of the gloss from it and could be the only time available.

I am assuming that the City V Rovers match is still going ahead, as it was said we would host it after last years success at the Mem??? Granted it would have to be shorter than 90 mins, think you players maybe glad of that anyway???!!! A huge crowd would be guarenteed! Not sure how costs would work out if we have to pay for the amount of police that were in place last year?!

There could be an 'interval' between the 2 matches to allow the changeover from the fans to Pros, and the club could sell loads of food/drinks etc, well it will be a hot day in July/aug won't it?

Just a thought, I suppose there will be more negatives than positives but if you want something badly enough there's always a way.

And yes, SteveL and family have always been very supportive, and BT and his wife attended last year too.

Thanks Mark, I'm confident everything should be ok from now on. But ive got your details if needed. thanks very much.

Not a problem mate, the effort you and your mates are putting in for a wonderful cause , simply needs the best attention possible. And thats what youll get!!!!!!

PS I'm safe for a £100 towards the charity, will sort with you before the date mate.

Good luck. Mark.

Once again, BRR, thanks for putting in the effort. Despite the stress it's caused you, and no doubt SteveL and Colin Sexstone, the positive light it throws on you and, therefore, on all City fans makes us proud to be associated with you - if only by wearing the same coloured top.

Good luck with it all, and don't let any of those who see it as an opportunity to seek to be divisive and negative get you down.

If I can get there to cheer you all on, I will. If not, I'll happily sponsor you.

Once again, BRR, thanks for putting in the effort. Despite the stress it's caused you, and no doubt SteveL and Colin Sexstone, the positive light it throws on you and, therefore, on all City fans makes us proud to be associated with you - if only by wearing the same coloured top.

Good luck with it all, and don't let any of those who see it as an opportunity to seek to be divisive and negative get you down.

If I can get there to cheer you all on, I will. If not, I'll happily sponsor you.

Nice one redtop, PROUD is the appropiate word.................nice one :clap:

Fair enough, good to see that they're trying to sort it out.

It's just a pity such a basic error gets made in the first place, I look forward to the time when the club can just do the right thing first instead of clearing up a mess... I'm sure it's coming. Really.

Nibor

Good to see things are moving and that is promising news no matter what half of Bristol you come from. This event is important to all fans red and blue.

In some way this whole issue has demonstrated how much it means to people. Let's hope we get this on now and this level of support continues to rise so, both sets of fans work on this side by side and make it a roaring success.

Good luck to the BFD committee.

Archived