IGNORED

The Current Team

aa_bcfc

How many of the current players would have been in the squad 2 years ago?

Already here

Philips

Murray

Wilkshire

Carey

Woodman

Definates

Brooker

Possibles

Haywood

Stewart

Cotterell

Skuse

Basso

Definately not

Orr

Brown

All of succession of loan signings

Noble

Russell

Savage

Keogh

Partridge

Smith

Seems to me that in the main those who are any good were here 2 years ago. The team has been severely weakened by selling the better players and replacing them with rubbish. Is it any wonder that we are looking down the barrell of div. 4. Sorry to say it but Steven Lansdown has one hell of a lot to answer for.

Point 1. Lansdown doesnt choose the players it's the managers job to identify who he wants, as far as I can tell the chairman has backed the last three managers with amble funds for the players they want to bring in.

Point 2. For all Johnsons crap loan signings (and there have been a few) the purchase of Noble has been a bit of asstute business in my opinion.

Point 3. Bradley Orr has been excellent at right back since his conversion and has (dare I say it) improved under this manager, a sign that the manager is also a coach perhaps?

Point 1. Lansdown doesnt choose the players it's the managers job to identify who he wants, as far as I can tell the chairman has backed the last three managers with amble funds for the players they want to bring in.

Point 2. For all Johnsons crap loan signings (and there have been a few) the purchase of Noble has been a bit of asstute business in my opinion.

Point 3. Bradley Orr has been excellent at right back since his conversion and has (dare I say it) improved under this manager, a sign that the manager is also a coach perhaps?

don't agree

Noble is no more than an ordinary midfielder. Burnell was better. Does he score? How many chances does he create chances?

Bradley Orr, shocking as a midfielder, ordinary right back. As the original post states would he have been good enough 2 years ago?

Burnell was better.

i'm sorry mate, i try to avoid singling out players past or present, but joe burnell was pure rubbish as a midfielder and only a passable centre back. he couldn't pass forward, he was slow of body and slow of mind on the pitch (this is not a personal comment on the lad but a footballing one) and was carried by his superiour team mates during his time at the club. saying all this, it is telling that a team contanng a player that bad would achve more than the present bunch.

i'm sorry mate, i try to avoid singling out players past or present, but joe burnell was pure rubbish as a midfielder and only a passable centre back. he couldn't pass forward, he was slow of body and slow of mind on the pitch (this is not a personal comment on the lad but a footballing one) and was carried by his superiour team mates during his time at the club. saying all this, it is telling that a team contanng a player that bad would achve more than the present bunch.

I have to disagree, Burnell was an excellent player under Wilson and almost always out performed Tommy Doc due to trhe fact that he could last 90 mins. Ok he wasn't amazing going forward but he was solid all round and WE WERE WINNING GAMES THEN! Definatly not carried in my opinion and I watched every home game when JB was at city. I honestly believed he was worth his place in the team and would walk into the current one.

I have to disagree, Burnell was an excellent player under Wilson and almost always out performed Tommy Doc due to trhe fact that he could last 90 mins. Ok he wasn't amazing going forward but he was solid all round and WE WERE WINNING GAMES THEN! Definatly not carried in my opinion and I watched every home game when JB was at city. I honestly believed he was worth his place in the team and would walk into the current one.

fair points buddy. i too was regularly attending games during burnells time at the club (before my exile oop north), though not every game. when he broke through to the first team at centre back i felt he did an adequate job, just felt when playing him with tommy doc in the midfield we were not attacking enough. joe lacked the bite of tommy but also the creative verve of wilkshire or others. but everyones opinion is his own, and despite the flaws i felt he had that i outlined in the previous post, he did always want to play for the shirt, whcih makes a change to some the present lot, just felt he lacked the ability. i think cole skuse will prove to be superiour in the same kind of position 9despite my initial reservations). our LDV vans 1/4 final vs exeter where joe scored with his chest(!) from a corner was also his best al round game for me. good luck to the lad though, seems to be doing well for himself at wycombe.

I have to agree to an extent. Burnell wasnt an EXCELLENT player, but he was certainly better then the crop of terd we have now. The problem we had with Burnell and Doherty was there was only really room for one of them....and Tommy was the better footballer.

Joe was a good player, always gave 100%. He could break up play....and could do domething what we need now, he could TACKLE.

Have you ever seen russell or Noble slide tackle anyone?? :dunno:

Have you ever seen russell or Noble slide tackle anyone?? :dunno:

its true, niether is a 'midfield general' but i think nobel has real potential. the last run of games i was able to attend was those over christmas and the pair of them went from totally MIA to really quite dynamic. against wallsall and second half against rotherham they did the slog work well ,but they were the worst sides i've seen for a while.

You lot had easily the best back four w/keeper in the division under Wilson... I wouldn't have thought you'd want any of the current bunch.

Valid Point.

Was it in Wilsons final season where we only conceded something like 25 goals all season? :dunno:

I think we lack the grit and determination to succeed that we had under Wilson. Everyone complained because the football was poor, but at least we won games.

Now the football is poor and we lose. :pinch:

But you know at the end of the day...

...it gets dark :ph34r:

No he doesn't choose the players; He chooses the managers.

He is responsible for panicing after the play off final. Yes we were awful, but surely, being a somewhat rather successful business man, he should've let the dust settle, stood back and taken stock. :@

I admit I was a "PRO Wilson" man, and Lansdown decision to replace Wilson was scandalous. It was even worse when the reigns of this great club were given to a veteran "run of the mill" footballer and a complete novice when it came to management. Lansdown sat back and allowed any quality players to leave or be sold, and gleefully saved the pennies when they were replaced with players who weren't and still aren't up for the challanges of this fantastic club.

It would be interesting to know how many of the "Anti Wilson" brigade wish they could turn back the clock.-It was never this bad :crying:

Yes Noble is an improvement on what we've had, although as I see it Johnson has made one big mistake. He has not replaced enough of the inept personel he inherited from the previous manager: J.Smith, Orr, Heywood and Russell are not good enough and must be replaced, if, we are to challenge at the right end of the league.

Rubbish. He is dreadful. He is poor in the air and his distribution is.... well he isn't capable of passing it.

Mind you, I did win a prize in "Spot the ball" recently. On page 5 of a local magazine, there was an action shot of Bradley Orr having just kicked.. er, No, punted the ball forward. My answer was closest to the centre of the ball. My guess was...page 46!! :)

I was one of those who wanted Wilson out.....three seasons what with half a mill a season spent on average, and we still failed. Defeat is not failure my @ss!!

The mistake made was not binning him after we lost away to Wycombe.

The biggest mistake was Tinnions appointment, the two factors which have led to this mess.

and the Cockernee wide boy..........lets just say the jury is out on him. Judged he is being, and the team.

Only Brooker, Phillips, and Carey would be certs two years ago, and quite possibly Noble.

The rest journeymen, boozers, losers, and neverwillbes, and kids who will never develop till we get DECENT experienced players in

I don't think many will argee

with me on this but

Russell and Noble would have walked into

the midfield 2 seasons ago

They are both good all round midfielders

some thing tinnion and tommy were not

Russell and Noble better than Tommy and Tinnion????????

I don't think so.

Assuming we agree that the two main jobs of the centre midfield is to create chances and and protect the back four then without doubt Tinnion created more chances than the other two put together and Tommy's main strengh was getting in amongst it.

I don't think so.

Assuming we agree that the two main jobs of the centre midfield is to create chances and and protect the back four then without doubt Tinnion created more chances than the other two put together and Tommy's main strengh was getting in amongst it.

its strange that the main man in front of the best back 4 in division 3 later sold the lot. i should imagine there were a few choice words between him and them during an average match and this did not transfer well into man-management.

I don't think so.

The problem i had with Tommy and Tinman was none of them could

get around the park.

That was why Wilson HAD to play Burnell as often as he did

Guest HampshireCider

The problem i had with Tommy and Tinman was none of them could

get around the park.

That was why Wilson HAD to play Burnell as often as he did

granted, but pace were never tins or docs strongpionts, so it was never missed. docs games involved %100 determination, (even if it was only 60 mins a game)! and oh how we still miss it!! tinns game was the killer balls into the box and the odd goals, maybe there wernt always enough though but he was still a presence on the pitch. lets see if noble and russell are still playing at 37 at this level............i doubt it very much

granted, but pace were never tins or docs strongpionts, so it was never missed. docs games involved %100 determination, (even if it was only 60 mins a game)! and oh how we still miss it!! tinns game was the killer balls into the box and the odd goals, maybe there wernt always enough though but he was still a presence on the pitch. lets see if noble and russell are still playing at 37 at this level............i doubt it very much

I was not talking about pace

more the fact they were unable to

get from box to box and track the midfield runners

Guest HampshireCider

I was not talking about pace

more the fact they were unable to

get from box to box and track the midfield runners

ok then but either way i would rather have the limited movement but creativity of tinns and the bite of doc than the pairing of noble and russell who imo are creating nothing.

"Noble is no more than an ordinary midfielder. Burnell was better. Does he score? How many chances does he create chances?

Bradley Orr, shocking as a midfielder, ordinary right back. As the original post states would he have been good enough 2 years ago?"

Diagree with you still. Orr and Noble are the most improved at the club.

As to who was better two years ago, do you still think that Carey was better than Orr and Burnell was better than Noble?

I'd be interested to see if your position has changed.

Snoz

The few that I would say would be Heywood(he is the main reason why are defence is doing a good job now). I chose heywood because he is like Butler and when Butler got injured then we didn't have any cover for him really apart from some light weight defenders. And two strong defenders like Buts and Heywood are needed in some tough away games like Chesterfield and would of helped get a fewextra points.

Then I would say Noble. Due to the fact that he is a good attacking player and I feel his style of play would of suited danny Wilsons very well and would of been a perfect partner for the Doc.

Then it would be Brooks. He is a real goal threat and has a good physical presence that we needed at times. But would only make it as a sub I feel but would of been great cover when injuries came along.

Then my wild card would be, Marcus Stewart, I'm not sure why really but with a quality teamaround him and good service from all angles he would of surely banged in at least 20 a season.

Anyone else I feel would struggle to make it in to that team at that time.

Some I would say may make the bench, Ie Cotts, Orr,Skuse. But in a season or so when they have improved as they will do they would walk into that team.

Archived