IGNORED

Winging It

mozo

The Bristol City I grew up with had Dave Smith storming down the left wing and Mark Gavin jinking down the right. The effectiveness of these two taught me the necessity of wing-play.

Since then we have rarely had out and out wingers on both sides. Tinnion was a narrow left midfielder, his game based on passing not pace. We've had Bent, Jacki, Donawa, Brown and of course eventually we realised that the flying Scotsman was not a striker or a right-back/wing-back but he was a natural right winger (hence his 27 goal season!).

It seems to me that City have always been a better side with effective wingers, and the fans appreciate seeing pace and skill near the touchline. When did we last have a winger on either side both crossing with their natural foot?

Seeing Murray and Cotterill causing defences problems from either flank during our good run, reminded me of this necessity, and I believe we missed Cott's on Saturday. We missed his pace, his work-rate, his incisive attacking assaults.

We all love Murray, but his pace and magic will eventually leave him. Plus we need a lefty.

I can't wait to see Jennison Williams on the left and the ever-improving Cotterill burning down the right. We need two wingers to be the potent City of old (plus maybe a few other ingredients, eh).

I fully agree, My first memories started with Walshy doin his shuffle, my fav player back then but the pairing of Smith and Gavin was a great 1. I think the best sides play with wingers. Look at Arsenals best days with Pires and Freddie, Chelsea now with a whole host of wide players and Man U with Giggs and Ronaldo. Anyone with genuine pace and skill we need.

...too right, and with in Williams and Cotterill we have a lefty and a righty, both with pace to burn and impressive natural talent.

This talent needs to be nurtured. They could play a major role in the rebuilding of this imbalanced team.

Archived