IGNORED

Bridges.......again.....what Were We Thinking!

bh red

Did anyone see Football League Review tonight on Sky Sports? just watched the re-run and the had a segment on Bridges on how he is rebuilding his carrer at Carlisle. Looking at some of the goals he has scored for them this season, Proves that with if given a good run of games early doors our season could have been totally different, or even when GJ took over he had been given a look in.

Anyone who saw those goals will see what I mean, I don't care if it is Division 4, class is class and boy does he have it.

Still at least we have Bas!.................... :@ :grr:

Letting him go was an absolutely ridiculous idea.

Whenever he was on the pitch, it was obvious that he was a class act and merely lacked match fitness.

I'm still deeply disappointed.

Fair play Michael and good luck. You deserve it.

Still makes me angry.... :@

Just watched his goals on world. I'm going to bed now. :crying:

Without meaning to sound bigheaded I always seem to be right.

t month or so of the season, I said that Stewart had lost it, was poor and should be transfer listed.

I then said that Bridges was our best player was miles and should start every week.

He only needed a run of games to get back fit, his touch and some passes were absolute different class, I remember the MK Dons game at home when he tore them apart, everyone agreed that day he was awesome.

Watching that programme last night didn't suprise me at all, I expected him to do that, and I still believe he'll be in the Championship within a year or so.

Good luck to him, and although I'm a Johnson fan, I believe he's ###### up big time here and we'll be sick when he goes on to big times again.

I'm certain he will, but oh well we've got Bas and Stewart who have scored about 5 between them this season!

Maybe the bloke could not settle away from his native North?

We don't know the full story. Maybe Mr and Mrs Bridges are just happier living in the Tundra?

:dunno:

I am in regular contact with Mike Bridges & he is still saying that he wished that he had been given the same opportunity with us as he has had at Carlisle.

Both him & his wife loved it down here & both were dissapointed when he was told by GJ that there was no room for him in his team.

Still it shows the character of the player.

None of us know what his attitude was like - He maybe someone who considered himself to be bigger than the club.... if so, I don't care how many goals he's getting now...He would not have been right for our club.

Didnt he injure himself whilst walking his dog? Ive never heard anything like it.

When he turned 2 players in one move like they werent even there against Bournemouth and then shot just over the bar I knew he was a class above.....One of my favourite moments this season - just shows how poor its been I suppose!! Still think he would have been a great asset here. Also I know a girl that used to run the commercial dept. at David Lloyd and apparently he was one of the best trainers from the club - always putting in the extra graft.....shame eh? :doh:

I think we were a bit stupid to let Andy Cole go and Akinbyi (spelling) and Goater and Bob Taylor.

andy cole was sold by a dodgy chairman (was it rouse ???)

akinbyi wanted to leave

super bob wanted to leave

goater was sold because he would of left for nothing if we had kept him untill the summer

none of these "let go"

akinbyi wanted to leave

super bob wanted to leave

goater was sold because he would of left for nothing if we had kept him untill the summer

none of these "let go"

As far as I remember we were in no position to let £1.75m pass us by when Cole left. And lets face it, Andy Cole was too arrogant to play with us for much longer. Whilst he kept us up in his last season with us, he never tracked back or put in 100% work rate.

He always considered himself for bigger things. And why not? He romped away with goal after goal playing for Keegan.

Whilst he kept us up in his last season with us, he never tracked back or put in 100% work rate.

I recall one of the first tactics Lumsden announced when he took charge was that Cole was to focus 100% on scoring goals. He was to save his energy for when the ball was in the danger area - other players could do the defending.

Can't blame a bloke for doing what his manager tells him. We've a long history of players released suddenly who didn't....

Les Kew

I recall one of the first tactics Lumsden announced when he took charge was that Cole was to focus 100% on scoring goals. He was to save his energy for when the ball was in the danger area - other players could do the defending.

Can't blame a bloke for doing what his manager tells him. We've a long history of players released suddenly who didn't....

Lumsden had already gone by the time Cole was here. It was Smith who signed him on loan at first.

I am in regular contact with Mike Bridges & he is still saying that he wished that he had been given the same opportunity with us as he has had at Carlisle.

Both him & his wife loved it down here & both were dissapointed when he was told by GJ that there was no room for him in his team.

Still it shows the character of the player.

Mate when/if you talk to him can you wish him and his wife all the best from me anyway.

I think letting MB go is GJ biggest City career mistake.

If we weren't so stingy (SL didn't want to play that extra match that would have extended MB's contract) and impatient (for MB to get matchfit) we wouldn't be needing all of these play-2-games-on-loan-striker's that we've been going through. Think McCcammon will last for more than 3 games?

None of us know what his attitude was like - He maybe someone who considered himself to be bigger than the club.... if so, I don't care how many goals he's getting now...He would not have been right for our club.

Didnt he injure himself whilst walking his dog? Ive never heard anything like it.

It was nothing to do with that. Simply put, Bridges had a clause in his contract, play 15 games and get a further years contract.

GJ didn't want him here, and thats why he wouldn't play him as he didn't want to give him another year.

:pinch:

Guest Harry Dolman

Absloute sitters?? Examples please

A near open goal in the opening mins of the 0-0 goal with Colchester - Scott Brown broke forward, knocked the ball to Bridges about 6 yards from goal, inexplicably he completely missed the ball.

A near open goal in the closing mins of the 1-0 defeat to Hartlepool, free header at the back post, again less than 10 yards out, managed to get the ball both high & wide.

In fairness both of them were "pressure" chances, however he came on at 3-0 v Barnsley & had a few few chances from decent positions & failed to even test the keeper.

Fair play to him for sorting things at Carlise & good luck to him too. However ala Lee Miller, the player also has to take some responsibility for things not working out.

Absloute sitters?? Examples please

There is only one i remember and that was on sky when the ball came across and he was about four yards out and blazed it over the bar. Colchester?

However i actually agree Bridges being let go was a farce! Disgrace and peice of poo management by our manager. How can you compare Bridges to Savage and Andrews? You cant he is five times a better player. Its Johnson being pig headed as usual as is with the Stewart debacle!

I found it funny how Johnson came out before the Brentford game claiming he had no beef with Stewart, probably thinking crikey I'm going to have to play him, well i may as well try and make it look like i wanna.

Guest Harry Dolman

There is only one i remember and that was on sky when the ball came across and he was about four yards out and blazed it over the bar. Colchester?

The Colchester miss..... unfair to accuse him of blazing it..... he missed the ball entirely (think for a minute the pages of threads it would generate if Bas did that, or McCammon does it tomorrow.........)

It was nothing to do with that. Simply put, Bridges had a clause in his contract, play 15 games and get a further years contract.

GJ didn't want him here, and thats why he wouldn't play him as he didn't want to give him another year.

:pinch:

And that tells me all I need to know about Gary Johnson.

Guest Harry Dolman

And that tells me all I need to know about Gary Johnson.

???????

Perhaps we should wait & see what happens in Bridges 2nd year............. good luck to the guy he may do well, but if Carlisle find this league tough, he might not get so many chances to shine. Of course there is always his injury record to think of........

Archived