IGNORED

Response About Forest 7 - Swindon 1

nickD

A lad I work with claims to support Southend and West Ham with equal passion.

I rib him about it all the time. He never used to mention Southend until they got promoted last season and now he bangs on about them most days. Surely true fans cant divide their loyalties?

Guest Somercity2

A lad I work with claims to support Southend and West Ham with equal passion.

I rib him about it all the time. He never used to mention Southend until they got promoted last season and now he bangs on about them most days. Surely true fans cant divide their loyalties?

I moved to Scotland and worked in Edinburgh for a few years -Whilst there I used to support The Jam Tarts but it could never be with the same passion as My beloved BCFC.

I enjoyed watching Hearts but they were never equal.

I remember a long time ago in the pouring rain and in the open at Wrexham, getting beat 2 nil we were bottom of the 4th div, just scraped going under looked around at the 3 to 4 hundred fans that were there from bristol and said to my mate crap initt? he nodded and replyed coming next week without a thought i said yep.....

swindle fans stick with it it will get better city fans support other teams I have no problem with that I LOVE the game but end of the day I am a CITY fan thats all that counts

Similarily I have been to see Stockport a few times but it's not the same, I don't feel any emotion with them, there's no love.

So you're only a real fan if you're from the city or your parents are. Nice logic.

You're a 'real' fan if you do any of the following:

*go out of your way to go to matches as much as possible Absolute balls. So paraplegics (sp?) cant support football teams?

*try to watch them every chance you get Maybe, but not definatly - if you were back in Bris for a weekend and you got the chance of seeing City or getting sex off an old fancy-friend which would you do?

*learn as much about the team as you can, and learn from as many people Interest follows the love you have for your team, I think?

*can explain why you love your team, even if it takes 2 or 3 sentences, other than "they're great" Not a chance I could. Defo can't put all those feelings into words and can't justify the imput of love that I put in, to the output City give back.

*can explain how certain players work well / don't work well other than "he's great"/"he's crap." Not really as I don't get to see the team and don't see any highlights etc. But yes fundamentaly I understand the genereal happenings I spose.

I don't think you need pre-requisites to support a team. I was originally a Man U fan. I hate this now and I havent admitted to it in a long time but the old man supported them and got me a shirt etc and it was natural to follow his lead. Thankfully I grew a brain and noticed the local team and promptly fell in love but the point remains it was only after I saw the effect city had on me that I realised what it was to truely follow your team (not just see them on TV occasionally), but if I hadn't had that chance to follow city (and I stuck with ShytNyted) would it have made me any less of a football fan?

I'm slightly envious of one-club fans - here's why. I was brought up in Coventry in the 60s and supporting the local side was natural. I went regularly with my Dad (an exiled Blade) and never thought for a moment I'd ever support any other team. I still followed them through the 70s and 80s (I could bore for England about the '87 Cup Final) even though I'd moved away and settled in Bristol in the late 70s. Bristol City meant little to me. I went to a few games but it never felt right. Then everything changed.

Along came two sons, so where to take them to watch pro football was the question. Coventry? Spend hours on the M5 just to indulge my passion and inflict my alliegances on them. Or 10 minutes down the road to Ashton Gate to watch THEIR local team? Had to be the right thing. Regular visits to the Gate has produced 2 well-adjusted City fans, despite the rarity of on-field success. Of that I'm very proud. But here's the sting - I became even more hooked on the red-shirted City than they are. I can't explain why, it just happened. Now the odd visit to watch the Sky Blues seems strange and oddly unengaging. I haven't been to the new ground which will probably make it all seem even more remote. But City v Forest on Saturday - can't wait.

I can't rationally justify the change of alliegance, but please do not condemn it too lightly.

Fair play to you - what is it about City that captivates and captures your emotions? I haven't felt it for any other club and obviously I'm biased but I think there is something extra about city, something luring about the Gate and the red strip and think I would define the emotion I feel towards city as love... Is that wrong?

I'm sorry for this, But, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Swindon.

Every season for the past 5 or 6 years, They have had at least 2 winding up orders per season (tax, VAT etc.etc.)and they pass the hat around, Break their piggy banks open and then cough up at the last possible moment.

And then the week after they have paid the bill in copper coins they go out and sign players (usually ex big name, High earners) to help get them out of relegation trouble, This has been a train wreck waiting to happen and I don't think the Swindon fans need our sympathy and they certainly don't need to feel sorry for themselves, They need to question why this state of affairs is allowed to go on season after season.

I'm sorry if this appears harsh, But, Bills first, Wages 2nd and signing overpaid journeymen last and if that means relegation tough.

(or as inbred as Bristol City or Oxford J )

Could not be arsed to continue reading your dribble from this point onwards.

I'd like to remind you of the painfully unlucky draw from the lottery of life that you received that you're from (never be a City) Swindle.

No sympathy for that 'hell of a beating' your boys' took either, to quote THAT crazed (Polish?) commentator.

I'll politely ask you to return to your insignificant little forum and not to come on here and antagonize me again. :)

So you're only a real fan if you're from the city or your parents are. Nice logic.

You're a 'real' fan if you do any of the following:

*go out of your way to go to matches as much as possible

Absolute balls. So paraplegics (sp?) cant support football teams? Don't be stupid. If you want to go, do what you can to get to games. Your statement assumes that paraplegics can do nothing to attend if they wanted to. Ask the people under the small shelter to the right-front of the Atyeo for further details.

*try to watch them every chance you get

Maybe, but not definatly - if you were back in Bris for a weekend and you got the chance of seeing City or getting sex off an old fancy-friend which would you do? phone ahead for a date on the Saturday night. Forward planning~

*learn as much about the team as you can, and learn from as many people

Interest follows the love you have for your team, I think? Indeed. Without one you can't have the other.

*can explain why you love your team, even if it takes 2 or 3 sentences, other than "they're great"

Not a chance I could. Defo can't put all those feelings into words and can't justify the imput of love that I put in, to the output City give back. "They're my local team, and they've been trying to get promoted for 8 years with increasingly shoddy management. But they've got their hearts in the right place even if their heads ain't." (time to type: 17 seconds)

*can explain how certain players work well / don't work well other than "he's great"/"he's crap."

Not really as I don't get to see the team and don't see any highlights etc. But yes fundamentaly I understand the genereal happenings I spose. Try harder :cool:

---------------------

I don't think you need pre-requisites to support a team. I was originally a Man U fan. I hate this now and I havent admitted to it in a long time but the old man supported them and got me a shirt etc and it was natural to follow his lead. Thankfully I grew a brain and noticed the local team and promptly fell in love but the point remains it was only after I saw the effect city had on me that I realised what it was to truely follow your team (not just see them on TV occasionally), but if I hadn't had that chance to follow city (and I stuck with ShytNyted) would it have made me any less of a football fan? certainly not. But the more you know, the better you are. That doesn't work in reverse, but some people think it does.

I'm sorry for this, But, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Swindon.

Every season for the past 5 or 6 years, They have had at least 2 winding up orders per season (tax, VAT etc.etc.)and they pass the hat around, Break their piggy banks open and then cough up at the last possible moment.

And then the week after they have paid the bill in copper coins they go out and sign players (usually ex big name, High earners) to help get them out of relegation trouble, This has been a train wreck waiting to happen and I don't think the Swindon fans need our sympathy and they certainly don't need to feel sorry for themselves, They need to question why this state of affairs is allowed to go on season after season.

I'm sorry if this appears harsh, But, Bills first, Wages 2nd and signing overpaid journeymen last and if that means relegation tough.

1.) You're quite clearly not sorry, are you? :rolleyes:

2.) I think your statement appears to me as very two dimensional - I think there's more to it and it reads as far too idealistic. I appreciate what you are saying but the results on the pitch can effect financies... To get the best results you have to take risks. Swindon have an extremely appauling financial record since the relegation from the Premiership, we never recovered - This happens. Bristol City made big risks in the last few seasons, some have worked/some haven't. That's football.

For the record if Bristol City ever faced the the possibility of closure, again, I would happily donate some money... I have for Rotherham recently and would do for even Oxford United... I believe it is football etiquette to help teams out.

There are very good points in the original post, some along the lines of the bitter... But that's because he saw 7 goals conceded. I too get very annoyed when my friends, who haven't been as far north as Hereford in their life and have no family links yet support Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester United and mock lower league clubs... Annoying, but that's football banter. Not enough people support Swindon in the local area - I've known more City fans in my life than Swindon - And THAT is what I think is killing the club I support.

I agree with Bristol Boy in the sense that the presence of teams such as Manchester United basically keep clubs alive through cup draws but I think this is leaned more towards the FA Cup, saying this the exploits of Doncaster this season, I'm sure, certainly helped them financially - But I totally agree with the Swindon fan when he is saying that the double standards of teams like MU seem to change when they can't perform in the League, Europe or FA Cup - The League Cup is very much a last resort for them.

Seph, I think you're being a bit pedantic.

Yes do what you can to go to games, I was only trying to highlight the fact that a lot of people are unable to go to games, but that doesn't make them any less of a fan than the people there every week.

"Ask the people under the small shelter to the right-front of the Atyeo for further details." I'm not saying I'm paraplegic! How would I be typing foo!

Forward planning was never my fortay.

You can have interest with out love being involved.

Try harder to watch highlights? Make the BBC put them on just for me? Or make myself be made of money to make the trip down to Bristol each weekend?

To think that there are better and worse football fans is a new concept to me and not one of any interest. If you think you are better person than me because you know more about BCFC, well done, I'll clap my hands for you.

1.) You're quite clearly not sorry, are you? :rolleyes:

2.) I think your statement appears to me as very two dimensional - I think there's more to it and it reads as far too idealistic. I appreciate what you are saying but the results on the pitch can effect financies... To get the best results you have to take risks. Swindon have an extremely appauling financial record since the relegation from the Premiership, we never recovered - This happens. Bristol City made big risks in the last few seasons, some have worked/some haven't. That's football.

For the record if Bristol City ever faced the the possibility of closure, again, I would happily donate some money... I have for Rotherham recently and would do for even Oxford United... I believe it is football etiquette to help teams out.

There are very good points in the original post, some along the lines of the bitter... But that's because he saw 7 goals conceded. I too get very annoyed when my friends, who haven't been as far north as Hereford in their life and have no family links yet support Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester United and mock lower league clubs... Annoying, but that's football banter. Not enough people support Swindon in the local area - I've known more City fans in my life than Swindon - And THAT is what I think is killing the club I support.

I agree with Bristol Boy in the sense that the presence of teams such as Manchester United basically keep clubs alive through cup draws but I think this is leaned more towards the FA Cup, saying this the exploits of Doncaster this season, I'm sure, certainly helped them financially - But I totally agree with the Swindon fan when he is saying that the double standards of teams like MU seem to change when they can't perform in the League, Europe or FA Cup - The League Cup is very much a last resort for them.

Actually I am sorry, I don't particulary want to see anyone go out of business. But, Last season twice tax and vat payments went down to the wire and within a few days you were recruiting players, The same happend just before last seasons deadline, When if memory serves you signed 4 players.

Surely this cannot be right, That is my opinion.

Guest Harvey9

First team is City, always is and always will be. I do follow Spurs to some extent as my Grandad played for them and he used to take me to White Hart Lane as a child. Now he is dead my nan likes to watch them so i watch them with her so i can spend some time with her as i don't see her much

I'm slightly envious of one-club fans - here's why. I was brought up in Coventry in the 60s and supporting the local side was natural. I went regularly with my Dad (an exiled Blade) and never thought for a moment I'd ever support any other team. I still followed them through the 70s and 80s (I could bore for England about the '87 Cup Final) even though I'd moved away and settled in Bristol in the late 70s. Bristol City meant little to me. I went to a few games but it never felt right. Then everything changed.

Along came two sons, so where to take them to watch pro football was the question. Coventry? Spend hours on the M5 just to indulge my passion and inflict my alliegances on them. Or 10 minutes down the road to Ashton Gate to watch THEIR local team? Had to be the right thing. Regular visits to the Gate has produced 2 well-adjusted City fans, despite the rarity of on-field success. Of that I'm very proud. But here's the sting - I became even more hooked on the red-shirted City than they are. I can't explain why, it just happened. Now the odd visit to watch the Sky Blues seems strange and oddly unengaging. I haven't been to the new ground which will probably make it all seem even more remote. But City v Forest on Saturday - can't wait.

I can't rationally justify the change of alliegance, but please do not condemn it too lightly.

That's a superb post. As you probably know, a particular night at Coventry is an emotional event for City. Who did you support that night?

It doesn't really matter as you have clearly moved over to the lighter side now :)

Seph, I think you're being a bit pedantic.

Yes do what you can to go to games, I was only trying to highlight the fact that a lot of people are unable to go to games, but that doesn't make them any less of a fan than the people there every week.

"Ask the people under the small shelter to the right-front of the Atyeo for further details." I'm not saying I'm paraplegic! How would I be typing foo!

Forward planning was never my fortay.

You can have interest with out love being involved.

Try harder to watch highlights? Make the BBC put them on just for me? Or make myself be made of money to make the trip down to Bristol each weekend?

To think that there are better and worse football fans is a new concept to me and not one of any interest. If you think you are better person than me because you know more about BCFC, well done, I'll clap my hands for you.

1. YOU brought the disability issue into play, not me. You assumed that paraplegics can't follow football, but I assume that at least one person under the wheelchair shelter qualifies. Not knowing for sure, but I'm not judging the quality of life these people have because I wouldn't know. And neither do you, evidently, but you're happy to make blanket statements like "how would I be typing, foo'?" and treating them with the condescending sympathy reserved for a 2-week-old puppy that's shat on carpet. The wheelchair/disabled fanbase that DO attend games when they can are a shining testament to the desire to improve theirselves. They should be congratulated, not pitied.

2. I'm not saying I'm better than you. I'm saying that whatever you're doing, you can do better IF YOU WANT TO. I'm not made of money either, but I try to get to as many away games as I can, having paid through the nose for a Season Ticket which I'm proud to be able to attain. The only person in this discussion saying that things can't be done is you.

3. Read the first thing before the 'list': "ANY OF THE FOLLOWING". There's the 'pedantry' you ignored.

How about blaming the main architect of the problems, ITV Digital. They reneged on an agreement, and yet the two main executives responsible just walked away with fat bonusses, and are still earning big Bucks. The Premiership did not give a toss and continued wasting money on overpaid prima-donnas, and the Press just gave a limited amount of sympathy. And the Government did not care, not enough votes in it, nor a good enough photo-shoot for that grinning jackass Blair. It has taken a couple of years for the fall-out to kick in, but it is beginning to, and expect more Clubs to have difficulties in the coming years.

After 82, I have sympathy for all fans whose Clubs are in this position.

1. YOU brought the disability issue into play, not me. You assumed that paraplegics can't follow football, but I assume that at least one person under the wheelchair shelter qualifies. Not knowing for sure, but I'm not judging the quality of life these people have because I wouldn't know. And neither do you, evidently, but you're happy to make blanket statements like "how would I be typing, foo'?" and treating them with the condescending sympathy reserved for a 2-week-old puppy that's shat on carpet. The wheelchair/disabled fanbase that DO attend games when they can are a shining testament to the desire to improve theirselves. They should be congratulated, not pitied. But that's not condescending?

2. I'm not saying I'm better than you. I'm saying that whatever you're doing, you can do better IF YOU WANT TO. I'm not made of money either, but I try to get to as many away games as I can, having paid through the nose for a Season Ticket which I'm proud to be able to attain. The only person in this discussion saying that things can't be done is you.

3. Read the first thing before the 'list': "ANY OF THE FOLLOWING". There's the 'pedantry' you ignored.

Well Seph sounds like you're gettin a bit peeved here.

Now, read this very slowly, try not to get confused, I'll put any word that is of significance in caps so you can really get the MEANING behind my post.

I did not bring in any form of dissability issue, you are going PC mad here, it was a simple quote HIGHLIGHTING (or subtly pointing out) that not all people have the accessability to get to AG. I used a HYPOTHETICAL scenario so as to compare the difficulties that I have with getting to AG. Far point it was poor taste and non-PC of me but I still think you're going way OTT. Although I'll appologise for that very loose and unthough-out analogy.

Making these 'blanket statements' was ice-breaker material as I am clearly not taking this post as seriously as you are. Again it was not meant to insult but to give the post a more light-hearted edge as I thought others reading might start turning to suicide. I did not intend to condescend and would hope that noone took any offence as none was intended.

IF I WANTED TO, I could move to Bristol. But I'm not prepared to live my life in accordance to football club, becuase quite frankly I have better things to do. Football isn't my life, it is an interest. I also go to some away games but only if it suits me. I have seen city play 3 times this season, which is poor when compared to the seasons that I had an ST, but I'm happy with it and I don't care about the issue to give it any more thought.

And just to clarify, I couldn't give a fudge whether you PERCEIVE me as a 'real' fan or not.

I know I am a 'real' fan because I support BCFC. Yet I don't fall under any of the categories in your list. It's not a complicated scenario though, it just means that your 'list' is complete drivel.

The only point being made behind this whole palava is that in reality it doesn't matter how you perceive 'real' fans, and funnily enough I don't recall anything from the FA that enlisted any neccessities to be a fan.

Fair play you have your opinion on how you would like diehard city fans to act, but it's not as simple as black and white and there are many other contributing factors that should be taken into account.

Fine, then. You just "are" a real fan. Just expect to fall under the same scrutiny as the "fake" fans of premier teams etc. that you're willing to dish out. You shouldn't have to prove yourself and neither should the people you think are "only supporting them to be popular."

As I said earlier, becoming a fan is less important than staying a fan.

Fine, then. You just "are" a real fan. Just expect to fall under the same scrutiny as the "fake" fans of premier teams etc. that you're willing to dish out. You shouldn't have to prove yourself and neither should the people you think are "only supporting them to be popular."

As I said earlier, becoming a fan is less important than staying a fan.

I've lost interest in this now, and no, there is no way that I am on a par with cockney, chav Man United fans.

I don't have to prove it, I am reminded of how proud I am to be a BCFC fan every time these Manchester kants laugh at me for supporting a smaller team.

Archived