IGNORED

What Has Happened?

rednotblue

In my time of supporting the red side of Brizzle there has always always been a decent nay brilliant left back in the team. So it is my favourite position and also the position I play in football.

Yes thats right I have a favourite Bristol City position, doesn't everyone??

Martin Scott - Would you have messed with him??

Jim Brennan - Remember when he got off the plane and on to the pitch (literally) and turned the game?? I think it was Luton we beat em 5-2 they had 10 men but until Jim appeared we were making hard work of it.

Darren Barnard - That left boot was magic

Micky Bell - Penalty taker, good crosser, gree kick taker and had blinding partnership with Tins

So we now have Craig Woodman who is solid reliable (A bit like the family saloon) but ultimately not on a patch with the above.

So please Craig learn from the past masters so I can rekindle my love of left back......

In my time of supporting the red side of Brizzle there has always always been a decent nay brilliant left back in the team. So it is my favourite position and also the position I play in football.

Jim Brennan - Remember when he got off the plane and on to the pitch (literally) and turned the game?? I think it was Luton we beat em 5-2 they had 10 men but until Jim appeared we were making hard work of it.

Micky Bell - Penalty taker, good crosser, gree kick taker and had blinding partnership with Tins

So we now have Craig Woodman who is solid reliable (A bit like the family saloon) but ultimately not on a patch with the above.

So please Craig learn from the past masters so I can rekindle my love of left back......

Hence I thought Golbourne was going to be the next in a long line...not to be.

Who's our best academy left-back?

Adam Green looked good, perhaps he could be a long term solution to Left Back, at the moment though woody is playing well so can't be dropped.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge really. He didn't look as competent as Fontaine when I saw him play but he might turn out to be another good find.

The game Jim Brennan turned around pretty much in his own was Blackpool at home - the lads still talk about that one now!! Awesome player, I remember going to the shareholders meeting when Pulis was in charge and it was announced at that meeting we had sold Jim Brennan, I was gutted! It was then i began to accept our inevitable decline having already sold Akinbiyi.

Anyway back to quality left backs - agree Woodman is solid, don't agree that Green is the answer. I suspect GJ may get someone in, in the Summer to compete with Woody for that position. I get the impression that Woodman will be happy just to be in and around the squad and would be prepared to play a few games as back up to a new left back.

i can't realy remember half of the left backs you mention play, but my old man recons half the reason they looked so good was because of Tinman. He isnt saying that they weren't good but he said that defenders were so frightened of the 1-2s he used to do with the full backs that the defenders used to back off.

any thoughts :dunno:

if so hopefuly get another player as good as Tinman :pray:

i can't realy remember half of the left backs you mention play, but my old man recons half the reason they looked so good was because of Tinman. He isnt saying that they weren't good but he said that defenders were so frightened of the 1-2s he used to do with the full backs that the defenders used to back off.

That's his opinion, but I'd disagree. Scott, Brennan and Barnard were all class and all move onto better clubs.

Craig Woodman has been one of our best players lately, stick with the lad I say as his confidence is growing.

He is probably the best passer to feet in the team!

I'm not saying that he should be dropped at all. Just he is solid and dependable, I want darting runs down the flank good hard fair tackling and the odd goal

Not Much!

I can see where your dad is coming from, however Tinnion was lucky to have full backs that would go on the overlap to create space for Tinnion (he never had the pace to beat a man), he was also lucky that they could all cross well and had a decent shot on them.

However the Tins factor certainly helped the full backs, but to say it was because of Tinnion is a bit far fetched.

Just for the Record

Martin Scott left for Sunderland in a swap deal with Gary OWers?? (who I delivered papers too) for 750K I think

Jim Brennan left for 1.75 million I think

Darren Barnard left for 750K as well I belive to Barnsley

And Mickey Left for nowt sadly becasue when he was fit he was blinding.

On another note Peter Beadle is now manager of Newport County. Or rather has been for a while but I only realised recently.

Guest revkev

There were good left backs pre- Tinman too, one of the most loyal servants of the club was Brian Drysdale, king of the overlap

May be they made Tinnion look better than he really was!!

Funny how

They went on to better and bigger things whilst

Tinnion played out his career in this poxxy division

May be they made Tinnion look better than he really was!!

Funny how

They went on to better and bigger things whilst

Tinnion played out his career in this poxxy division

Maybe Tins brought out the best in the full-backs. And presumably you will make a similar complaint if Brooker decides to stay in 'This poxy Division' in the summer!

The left-backs were well balanced by the less than stunning right backs, Stevens, Llewellyn, Mitchell, Herriott, J Smith.

Best I've seen was Mike Thresher, 415 first team appearances for City.

Never knew when he was beaten. A winger might slip past him occasionally, but Mike would get up and sprint with his side to side running style, and track his man down. All heart and team spirit, all City.

Neither Woodman or Bradley Orr set the world alight. But the one thing they both do very well is DEFEND. You rarely see either of them get skinned and it was noticable on at least four occasions on Saturday that Woodman and Orr covered for Carey and Fontaine when Carey and Fontaine lost their man or got caught for pace (Orr prevented Tyson from going clear one on one in the first half). Knowing when to leave your own man and cover for your centre half is one of the most important things a full back has to learn. The other thing they rarely do is get caught sleeping and playing forwards on-side. Our back four is looking pretty solid at the moment and it is obvious that a lot of hard work has been done post-Tinnion.

We would all like to see the attacking games of our full backs improve but we must remember that we are still in a relegation battle and Johnson seems to be playing a cautious game for now (you do not see either full backs or central midfielders making forward runs at the moment).

Archived