IGNORED

More Basso Madness

mozo

Our loony goalkeeper Adriano Basso was lucky to escape today after a moment of madness went unnoticed.

In the first half as we defended our lead (I think it was two goals at that point) the barmy Brazilian was at the edge of the box to clear a through ball.

An attacker was oncoming and a City player was a couple of yards ahead. Instead of booting the ball into touch, Basso decided to slap the ball to our player (was it Orr?) as though his hand was a tennis racket.

Of course it isn't and the ball just fell to the ground in front of him and was fortunately cleared. What's worse is, and I could do with other's opinion on this, Basso was on the edge, if not out of his box!

The Gills forwards protested that he'd handled outside the box, but the officials let play continue.

He was very lucky. His kicking was poor again too. Good keeper mind!

I think that Basso's kicking style is fundamentally flawed. Most goalkeepers kick the ball in the style of a rugby ball drop kick. They throw the ball up in the air and kick through it as it drops down ie the leg is swinging through in the same way as a golf swing.

Basso appears to kick with more of sything action kicking to side of his body with the foot and leg travelling parallel to the ground.

The flaw with his style is when it doesn't time it correctly or throws the ball too close to his body the ball has a tendency to either go up too high and not make much distance or even worse it hits the ground only yards infront of him invariably into the the feet of an attacker (Yeovil New Years Eve!)

If he times the ball correctly he does get good distance on the ball but it isn't consistent enough.

Basso was lucky to get away with that today. But still he kept a clean sheet, and what more can u want from a keeper. Granted they didn't have many chances but the ones they did have he kept out.

His kicking from the ground could improve, but seeing as this is first year in league one, (prev woking) i'm sure he will sort his kicking out with the correct training.

I still think form wise he is the best keeper at the club, as i have said in a previous post, at last we have two decent keepers in the squad, (i haven't seen abbey so i reserve judgement)

I like Basso, decent keeper, does make mistakes but he makes really good saves, good pick up out of knowhere by GJ.

He was here before Johnson I think?

Basso did look out of his area and I couldn't understand why he chose to try and punch. I also couldn't understand why he chose to "slap" a cross which looked catchable (or at least punchable), it landed on the penalty spot in front of a Gills player and should have cost us a goal.

He's a decent keeper and although he might be a bit better at some things than Phillips, the inconsistency needs to get worked on.

Nibor

To start with he was at least a yard inside the box when he "SLAPPED IT' as you put it.

Secondly he had no other choice because Harris nearly had his boot in Bassos's face which means if he had caught it he might have had it kicked out of his hands, and you can't take the chance that the ref is going to blow up for that.

Basso did nothing wrong today and in fact on two occasions made their forward look stupid with his control of the ball and then the pass.

From my view, which is about 10 yards infront of the penalty box, maybe more, and fairly low down, in Block J of the Lower part of the Dolman, it looked like his feet were on the edge of the box and therefore his arm must have been out but I have only my memory to rely on and will wait until replays until I make a definite remark!

Guest alex1089

Nope Basso was brought in by GJ. He was on trial at Arsenal for 3 months a few weeks before we got him in so he is deffinatly a GJ signing.

• Admin

Looked out of his area when he touched it.I stole a nervous glance at the linesman luckily he didnt seem to be in line with the play so probably couldn,t make a proper judgement.

I also glanced immediately at the linesman who appeared to be in line with the edge of the area and was shaking his head at the ref to indicate it wasn't outside the box.

Re: Basso's kicking, we noticed today that he catches the turf with his studs on the occasions he mis-kicks as opposed to getting a clean strike. Also when he did his bouncy warm up routine after it looked like his right leg hangs lower than his left (ie his right leg appears to be slightly longer which could explain the scuffing of the turf that occasionally happens).

Could a couple of insoles in his left boot solve his "dodgy" kicking? :dunno:

Nope Basso was brought in by GJ. He was on trial at Arsenal for 3 months a few weeks before we got him in so he is deffinatly a GJ signing.

Tinnion brought him here on trial. GJ signed him up.

Defending is done in a unit, no one can take total credit; but all involved deserve praise when doing well.

simple....

Basso - 21 games, 21 goals conceded - Avg 1 goal per game

Phillips 20 games, 42 conceded - Avg 2.1 goals per game

I think if you are knocking parts of his game today, you need to be fair and say the 3/4 low crosses that he scopped up with attackers on his fingers was sound keeping.

His hand kicking looks ok to me, kicking from ground is his problem.

Let's all be honest, he's a nutter.

Best just let him get on with it I think, he always seems happy enough to me and he's certainly got the most appropriate position for such a character trait.

I'd also just like to say, even the best players in the world have flaws in their game, Big Bad Bas being the only exception I can currently think of.

Archived