IGNORED

Dave Cotterill

A Horse With No Name

I have always thought Cotterill to be very over rated, but accept that he has had to play because he has that occasional flash of brilliance (very occasional) to turn a game. All to often he gets the ball and runs like a headless chicken towards the touchline, where invariably he either gets tackled, or he throws himself on the floor in an attempt to get a free kick.

Whatever anyone's view on DC, surely now is the time to give him a break, given that we are now heading for a comfortable mid table finish. I would personally like to see Jennison Williams on the bench for a while, coming on for Scott Murray a few times, to give the lad a taste of first team action, and to see exactly what he can do.

I have always thought Cotterill to be very over rated, but accept that he has had to play because he has that occasional flash of brilliance (very occasional) to turn a game. All to often he gets the ball and runs like a headless chicken towards the touchline, where invariably he either gets tackled, or he throws himself on the floor in an attempt to get a free kick.

Whatever anyone's view on DC, surely now is the time to give him a break, given that we are now heading for a comfortable mid table finish. I would personally like to see Jennison Williams on the bench for a while, coming on for Scott Murray a few times, to give the lad a taste of first team action, and to see exactly what he can do.

Agreed. Murray on the right and Andrew on the left next week. Cotterill is so frustrating in that he has ability to spare but if ever a player lacked a basic football brain (such as knowing when to dribble and when to whack a ball clear) then it is him. He has played a lot of games this season for an 18 year old (and it does take it's toll on a young body despite what all these good enough/old enough merchants say) and he looks in bad need of a rest.

Until we are mathematically safe, I disagree.

Cotts is part of a winning 11, why change it? Plus his defensive work in partnership with Orr may keep our status in league one sooner rather than later.

I agree that Cotterill helped Orr do a good job on Chris Commons when we played Forest. The reason I would consider Andrew is that he seems to be a player who looks to get to the byeline and get balls across from there and I think that would definitely add something to our team. I just think Cotterill is showing signs of tiring which is perfectly understandable for someone of his age playing in real mens football. We have to look after his long term physical development as much as any short term benefits to team shape in my view.

I agree that Cotterill helped Orr do a good job on Chris Commons when we played Forest. The reason I would consider Andrew is that he seems to be a player who looks to get to the byeline and get balls across from there and I think that would definitely add something to our team. I just think Cotterill is showing signs of tiring which is perfectly understandable for someone of his age playing in real mens football. We have to look after his long term physical development as much as any short term benefits to team shape in my view.

True, but hopefully our status in League one will be secured sooner rather than later - then he can have his rest. I think we all must be aware that both hime and Bradley are playing in new positions - and they have both played their hearts out for the club since Christmas.

With that in mind, I would not like to see partnerships broken up when it is part of a winning and well performing eleven, especially during this still critical part of the season. Football is a team game. That goes for Woody and Murray, Russell and Skuse, Carey and Fontaine - and to some extent, Brooker and Bas.

Then, when we are safe, I cant wait to see what Jennison has got at this level, even Benyon and Artus.

Greebo & Bling - Proving a debate can still be had on OTIB...

I agree with LOTB, while we have a winning formula there is no point in disrupting things. When we are mathmatically safe it would probably be benefitial to give him a rest and give Wilks a go on the right, both to improve his world cup chances and hopefully let him go out with his head held high, cos it does not look like he is staying.

I agree that Cotterill definitely needs a rest. With Scotty able to go to his preferred right position and Andrew able to play on the left it would make sense.

I would point to the way that Cole Skuse has come back from a rest (although unplanned due to his injury). To me Skuse looked so out of sorts before his injury, but has come back a totally rejuventated player.

I'm sure that the same would happen to DC - not that I want to see him injured - just give him a breather.

Guest alex1089

I think Cotts deffinatly needs a rest but only when we have the 52-55point mark because he is part of a winning side. Then we can play with less pressure on us and just enjoy our football and get the youngsters out there and give them ago. Also we must remember that players like Skuse,Woody,Brooks,Noble, Fontaine and Orr have massive futures ahead of them and our still quite young in footballing terms so there is a big future at AG for young players.

Archived