IGNORED

Do Bristol City

Lordofthebling

When we pay big money for them?!

When you look at our major summer signings over the past five years:

Steve Jones - bought from Charlton for £ 425,000

29 games - then out on loan to Brentford, Southend, Wycombe...

Paul Holland - bought from Chesterfield for £200,000

27 games...

Peter Beadle - Bought from Notts County for £200,000

51 games - then given to Brentford, Barnet...

Billy Mercer - Bought from Chesterfield for £300,000

25 games...

John Burns - Bought from Nottingham Forest for £100,000

6 games in 2 years, given away to Carlisle...

Paul Heffernan - Bought from Notts County for £125,000

22 games played...

Lee Miller - Bought from Falkirk for £300,000

20 games played...

Lee Peacock - Bought from Mancghester City for £600,000

Left on a free to Sheffield Wednesday...

Luke Wilkshire - Bought from Middlesborough for £250,000

Contract up this summer...

Dave Partridge - Bought from Motherwell for £150,000

Currently on loan at Mk Dons, looking unlikley to return...

Of the team that faced Rotherham:

3 were signed on a free.

2 are currently on loan.

3 are products of the academy.

Carey and Murray were resigned for nominal fees after selling.

Currently we have Steve Brooker, who was bought from Port Vale for £150,000. 63 games - 30 goals.

Surely a club, in the third tier of English football should be making a profit or failing that - getting value for money from big money transfers?

Is there more value in taking a chance with two or three "free" signings than a big money move?

Is/was it down to our poor scouting network that we did/may still have?

Was it manager incompetence?

Is the pressure of playing for the mighty Bristol City just too much?

Are the fans too fickle, that we don't even give a new player a chance to settle and prove his worth?

Or taking into account players such as: Dinning, Grant Smith and to some extent Bridges and Stewart - are we just rubbish at signing new players that can do a job?

What are we going to see this summer?

Over to you...

I think what it is down to is nearly all these players have stepped down from a highr divsion and havn't got the fight in them for 3rd tier football and are maybe more suited to the championship.

Billy Mercer was unfairly added to that list I feel. He had many injury probloms that hampered him whilst he was here and he done brilliantly when he did play.

Heffs was a good player but due to Lita and Brooker couldn't get into the starting 11 and we should have kept him untill Lita's future was decided.

So we have signed players from higher divisions and they have proved to be mainly failures with the exceptions of one or two maybe. So now I like what Gj is doing by buying from below and see how that goes.

Maybe Mercer was unfairly added, but I'm shocked how much money we have spent in transfers and not made a dime after.

Players on a free such as Lita who then leave for a mark up are good business.

Me to. Alot of them players wre signed by Pulis and that says enough about them, But times are now changing, We will now start to see more players coming in on free transfers and hopefully leaving for money. But it's a new win situation here. We can get players in for free then sell them on, Fans' will moan, We develop young players and then sell them on, Fans will then moan. We then spend money on players then they turn out to be no good and leave on a free or for less than wepaid and fans' will moan.

I think the main thing that is needed is a good scouting network. And these scouts should be looking all over the Bristol area for talent in the Non-League and then do the samefor the whole of the West Country. As I see it there are two big clubs in teh West Country and thats us and Plymouth. The West Country is a big place and instead of spending loads of money on championship reserve players we should be speding money on scouting these hundreds of non league clubs that are in the West Country.

Well its not just a Pulis thing, although admittedly with Laycocks blessing he was a great exponent of poor purchasing.In my opinion we have as poor a buying record over the last 20 years as any team in any of the Prof.leagues.You can add the likes of Atteveld,Connor,Kuhl,Baird,Robinson,Jacki,and a host more,players that arrived for big fees and on good salaries yet failed to give much in return.

Statistics show that for every one Akinbiyi or Cole nine of the other ten fee bought players move on from the club for a reduced fee or nothing at all.

Of the last two decades only Lennartson & Brian Tinnion in their short tenures can claim to have left the club in a positive cash flow position in total transfer dealings.For Tinnion this could well be developed more should Brooker move on into the Championship at the end of the season.

With regard to G.J. I think it is too early to form any real opinion,I doubt that he is solely focused on acquiring players from only the leagues below us.Indeed,he obviously keeps an eye on young talent at bigger clubs and so quite rightly for a club of our humble stature we could well see the arrival of long-term loanees.I just wish we could find another Gary Shelton to act as a catalyst in bringing things together for a couple of seasons or more.

Don't forget a lot of those signings were made when the TV money was still available. This resulted in the high transfer fees which fortunately have disappered along with ITV's millions.

Transfer fees are much lower now, particularly in the lower leagues and will probably stay that way for the some time.

I'd rather think we got more out of a player that we paid half a million for, played regularly for at least 2 seasons, THEN left for nothing as opposed to paying £100k for someone who departs the following January for half of that.

We have a poor record in the transfer market in the last 10-15 years, and it's the main reason we've consistently failed. We need to do less buying expensive "peaked" championship hand-me-downs who turn out to be a) crocked b) uncommitted and c) overpriced and more picking up young players from lower levels who will increase in value or not cost much if they fail.

We have made a few good signings value for money wise.

Tinnion

Barnard

Bell

Cole

Taylor

Goater

Akinbiyi

Murray (1st time)

Brooks

What do they have in common? They all came from this level or below, or were young premiership reserves.

This is why GJ's transfer policy seems more hopeful to me. Although he did make some crap loan signings he got rid of them and they didn't cost much, plus he was limited by what was available. He's bringing in players of the type we've had the most success with before, and he's kept the good ones (in my view Savage is the exception that proves the rule ;)). I hope in the summer with more players available he will be able to clear out some of the dead wood that's currently out on loan and bring in more players like Fontaine and Noble.

Nibor

Archived