IGNORED

Gary Johnson

Keepers Ball

The argument has rumbled on whether Gary Johnson is a good manager for a fair few months now.

The poor run of losses,the poor loan signings and the "infamous" hand grenade in the changing room incident.But one thing that stands out for me is his obvious lack of ability to "Man-Manage".

The rumours that have gone on, on what happened in the changing room and the so-called bust ups with Steve Phillips and Marcus Stewart certainly fueled the fire .

But today it was evident that even though Gary Johnson may be able to manage a team he has'nt a clue on how to manage an individual....thats where that "Man-Manage" word comes in.

Today we saw what at the time was excruciatingly funny and Ive never heard so many people laugh at one time, Baz Savage falling over himself as he was attacking the goal.(At the time I thought you were supposed to score before you do a Klinsmann).

Now please lets just put aside whether we think Baz Savage is worthy of wearing our red shirt.

When the full time whistle went Savage was crouched down with his head lowered.He looked exactly like the players you see after they'd lost in the FA Cup Final.

You could tell he was distraught.At that point I felt bloody sorry for him.He knew he ######ed up big time and it showed.....

...but what did his "Manager" do ?

walked onto the pitch,said a few congratulations,well dones,a few applauds and went nowhere near Savage

You see this is where that word "Man-Management" pops up again.

In my view Johnson should have put a comforting hand on the shoulder of HIS distraught player with a comforting word....but he did'nt.

This is one of the reasons why I don't rate Gary Johnson as a Manager

Of course not all of use will agree but I'm interested with your arguments

The argument has rumbled on whether Gary Johnson is a good manager for a fair few months now.

The poor run of losses,the poor loan signings and the "infamous" hand grenade in the changing room incident.But one thing that stands out for me is his obvious lack of ability to "Man-Manage".

The rumours that have gone on, on what happened in the changing room and the so-called bust ups with Steve Phillips and Marcus Stewart certainly fueled the fire .

But today it was evident that even though Gary Johnson may be able to manage a team he has'nt a clue on how to manage an individual....thats where that "Man-Manage" word comes in.

Today we saw what at the time was excruciatingly funny and Ive never heard so many people laugh at one time, Baz Savage falling over himself as he was attacking the goal.(At the time I thought you were supposed to score before you do a Klinsmann).

Now please lets just put aside whether we think Baz Savage is worthy of wearing our red shirt.

When the full time whistle went Savage was crouched down with his head lowered.He looked exactly like the players you see after they'd lost in the FA Cup Final.

You could tell he was distraught.At that point I felt bloody sorry for him.He knew he ######ed up big time and it showed.....

walked onto the pitch,said a few congratulations,well dones,a few applauds and went nowhere near Savage

In my view Johnson should have put a comforting hand on the shoulder of HIS distraught player with a comforting word....but he did'nt.

But if he had put his hand around Bas he would of got abuse to consoling a "crap" player in the eyes of some people on this forum! I think we can safely say, Sav is NOT a goal scorer but is a good ball holder, and can act as a good player when under alot of pressure, possible again better sides.

But going back to GJ, i personally feel he did right, he might not want Bas to dwell on it, and the best option was to leave him and address "the team" which is what we are, and if needed have a word on Monday morning. Although i feel Bas is very HARSHLY critisied (although i know he does not score goal) for his ways, he does need to learn the hard way like most people in life.

I personally feel GJ is still the right man and we will be heading for big things before long.

UP THE CITY!!!!!! (AND GARY AND BAS!!!!!) :city:

Right.

Because Gary Johnson didnt go running up to Bas Savage - you think he is a poor man manager?

I think Bas just wanted to get off the pitch. GJ running up to him would only of drawn attention to him and frankly, be very very patronising to him.

Besides, how do you know what went on in the dressing room after the game, in the managers office on Monday and on the training pitch next week?

Maybe Bas knows he missed and GJ knows he wont want to talk about it?

GJ for me is a great man manager, the mentality and the fitness of the players has been the best I have seen for a long time.

But if he had put his hand around Bas he would of got abuse to consoling a "crap" player in the eyes of some people on this forum! I think we can safely say, Sav is NOT a goal scorer but is a good ball holder, and can act as a good player when under alot of pressure, possible again better sides.

But going back to GJ, i personally feel he did right, he might not want Bas to dwell on it, and the best option was to leave him and address "the team" which is what we are, and if needed have a word on Monday morning. Although i feel Bas is very HARSHLY critisied (although i know he does not score goal) for his ways, he does need to learn the hard way like most people in life.

I personally feel GJ is still the right man and we will be heading for big things before long.

UP THE CITY!!!!!! (AND GARY AND BAS!!!!!) :city:

I'm not quite sure what it was you were saying there, but let me just clear something up.

It doesn't matter how well Bas "holds the ball up" or "takes the pressure off". Today was clear undeniable proof that he's crap at football.

That's right, he's CRAP at football.

Savage falling over when clean through on goal, without even managing to get a shot off, simple proves the point.

He tries hard, he runs around alot, but ultimately it means nothing because he's not even close to good enough.

If we end up giving him a contract in the summer then I think serious questions have to be asked about GJ's judgement.

Sorry if you don't like this, but unfortunately it's the truth.

Gj strikes me as the sort of person that if your gold fish died he would she sympthy. He also strikes me as someone who is alwaysthere for anyone any time of day and nothing is to much for him. He will always put others before himself.

He is a big softie at heart and all those players are his babies and he will be there for them when ever needed.

I'm sure that after the game in the dressing room Gj would have put his arm round bas and just say some encouraging words of wisdom. Like "ok son you missed it, We can't change that now, Go home relex have a good weekend, enjoy yourself and il see you monday morning and we can work on it to prevent happening again" Or something like that anyway.

Of course many of all your arguments are valid but some of you are still pointing out how "crap" a player Savage is.Forget that bit.

What I'm saying Savage is HIS player and to me the consoling could have been done on the pitch where everyone saw it.That way Savage could feel he has his manager behind him witnessed by supporters.

As for not wanting Baz to dwell on it well I'm afraid he already was at that point.It was there to see.

More than likely felt the loneliest player on the pitch and wished the ground swallowed him up.

Still onwards and upwards for him I suppose.

So the drastic improvements of Bradley Orr, Louis Carey, Craig Woodman, Scott Murray, Alex Russel etc. mean what exactly?

You're entitled to your opinion mate but I think there are a few premiership managers who would have struggled to manage Steve 'I'm leaving cos I'm not first choice!' Phillips & Marcus 'I played for the mighty Sunderland so who the ##** are you?' Stewart this year.

Forget the fact that we've got a group of in shape players who try their best for the shirt for the first time in ages... He's a bad man manager because he didn't console one player after a bad game?!

Sorry dude but if you knew anything about management you'd know that he can't play favourites with a single employee after a bad performance. That would single out Bas amongst the other players and actually make it worse.

There's just no pleasing some people! :@

Should took Bas into his office and write out his P45.......... :whistle:

The situation with Bas shows he could well be a confidence player best thing we could all do is get behind the lanky streak not constantly whinge about him .

No, the thing to do now is get ready for next season by blooding some of the youngsters. We should be safe now and we should look to improve the team. Bas done what was needed, but as a striker, he is standing in the way of the up and coming. IMO this will see what we need to bring in to have a another go at getting out of this league. Lets see what confidence GJ has in the youngsters!

No, the thing to do now is get ready for next season by blooding some of the youngsters. We should be safe now and we should look to improve the team. Bas done what was needed, but as a striker, he is standing in the way of the up and coming. IMO this will see what we need to bring in to have a another go at getting out of this league. Lets see what confidence GJ has in the youngsters!

100% correct quote Brian

...okkaaaay, so you notice that he doesnt go up to Savage after the game and instead congratulate the other players who put in 90mins, and that makes him a bad manager in your eyes? And what turned Carey, Woodman and Orr into great league 1 players then? hmmm? Witchcraft??! And what happened after the game? I don't know.. and neither do you.

Load of absolute rubbish... GJ has done little wrong in his time here so far, and has done nothing to suggest he won't be a good manager for us.

I think route behind all these posts is a certain over-paid fat lad called Marcus Stewart who despite being rubbish in first team (yes Nibor - i said rubbish when he played in the first team!), rubbish in the reserves and not scoring now for another team - will still be considered worth an automatic place for city, and GJ will always be the bad guy until that changes!

The thread title is Gary Johnson . My view

Well this is my view for what its worth.

Gary Johnson worries me for the following reason. Without going into the details which have been discussed on numerous threads in the last weeks/months (Loan signings, Philips, Stewart, Bridges etc), GJ seems to have a problem with big earners? players with a big ego?

You could argue that should he manage to get us out of this division that will be the type of players we may well need to keep us up there and push on.

The hard work, team work, maximun effort are all necessary GJ qualities, but you also require individual players who can create something out of nothing. Unfortunately for us and GJ they tend to be the big earners with big egos's. We shall see.

Why not go be a man, and make the decision yourself to go back to bed, why wait to be asked. She'll be pleasantly surprised I'm sure.

Now back to the thread......

Dolly, its not a nice sight with her teeth on the side of the bed ...........she has to prepare herself 1st.... :crying:

If she does Arny make sure you don't trip on the way, you might make an awful mess of it! :crying:

:rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:

Hang on a second...I'm not saying Johnson has'nt improved certain players.

I said previously that he knows how to manage a team.Obviously his training methods work and have benefitted some of the players you have mentioned earlier...but it doesnt neccessarily mean its down to man management....

..And Maidenheadred... I'm not saying he should have gone straight to Savage and not to the other players.

Of course he should get his priorities first but consoliation towards a player who was obviously distraught would'nt hurt would it ?

It seems to me that many of you would prefer a "Graeme Souness" style manager and look how far that got him.

The thread title is Gary Johnson . My view

Well this is my view for what its worth.

Gary Johnson worries me for the following reason. Without going into the details which have been discussed on numerous threads in the last weeks/months (Loan signings, Philips, Stewart, Bridges etc), GJ seems to have a problem with big earners? players with a big ego?

You could argue that should he manage to get us out of this division that will be the type of players we may well need to keep us up there and push on.

The hard work, team work, maximun effort are all necessary GJ qualities, but you also require individual players who can create something out of nothing. Unfortunately for us and GJ they tend to be the big earners with big egos's. We shall see.

It's the combination of big earner and big ego that creates problems though mate. I doubt Scotty or Brooks are playing for peanuts and both are players capable of turning a game.

Why is having a problem with big earners in Div. 1 an issue anyway? As long as it's relative to the division we are in then there is no problem in my opinion.

Our big earners wouldn't be big earners in the Championship so unless we've got a couple of people not performing on premiership wages at that stage I'm sure he'd have no problem with Bridges or Stewart then (providing they perform)

The fact is though that we were paying people double the wages of others despite the fact that they weren't performing for the team.

I would have liked Bridges to stay and I wish it had happened for Stewie but we've finally got a manager with enough nous and bottle to ship out the 'big stars' when they underperform or rock the boat.

Laudible in my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of GJ, and think the jury is still out, but i think this one situation doesnt warrent him being questioned. I can see your point suicidalred, BUT, we have no idea of the goings on afterwards. Also how one might want to be consoled is totally down to the individual, if they indeed want to be consoled at all, and I'm hoping that GJ knows his players better than we do, and therefore decided on the best way to approach Bas and his miss and consequent feelings.Personally if it were me in that situation i would want the ground to swallow me up, and leave me alone to think through it myself, i would not want the manager to come up to me on the field in front of everyone, and remember we had just won the game and therefore there should not be one player or incident that changes that wining feeling from positive(celebrating) to negative(consoling), they are a team and the team won, therefore Bas won too.

In my opinion Bas should have been given the time to get over it and deal with it himself and then maybe offered the chance to talk about it after the game in the confines of ashton gate, or even monday during training etc. Unfortunately what can you really say to him to make him feel better? its not like its something he didnt used to do, and now maybe he is suffering from confidence, he has always tripped over his feet and fallen over, and i don't think that will change.

I think whatever good Johnson has done people some fans will find fault. The fact that players have gone out on loan, or dropped in form and recovered and are playing well is testament to the confidence instilled in them by the management. Johnson has turned average players at the start of the season into competitive, skillful and more importantly consistent players. Results are getting better and better, the players actually look like they are enjoying their football.

Please tell me from recent wins eg. swansea and gillingham, how we can't have a certain confidence going into next season. What is this huge dislike for the management? I can see that during the run of losses people can draw fault, but surely the team and Johnson has done enough to make up for it.

Just try and support everyone at the club, i have nothing but confidence in the manager and know everything he does is what he thinks is best.

People think they have all the right answers on here, if he hadn't thrown the grenade blah blah.. but the thing is that incident could now be resulting in commited and confident looking players. The softly approach has been mentioned on here, and supposedly would have changed things. But one thing this club has lacked over the past few years has been discipline, do u think any other top manager eg. ferguson or morinhio would have done anything different. I agreed with that approach after the southend and chesterfield games, as it was what I would have done.

As for his signings how people can judge him over having about a month to sign decent players is beyond me. The new system is at fault and despite some poor signings, he has made some brilliant ones as well eg, noble and fontaine.

All i'm saying is why don't we just give credit when its due, stop picking on all the minor faults and just enjoy the fact we are staying up (probably). Give the manager time and I believe he can get the club out of this division.

For all you know, Gary Johnson may be cradling a tearful Bas Savage in his arms, singing lamentful but soothing lullabys to console his forlorn charge, as we speak!

Our results started improving when Bas was in the team and if you pardon the pun, doing a lot of donkey work!

He was put up front beacuse he is awkward for defenders to deal with and for that Gary Johnson deserves credit. We all know that he is not the long term solution and that Mark Mccammon is obviously a natural goalscorer, but when we are 2-1 down with ten minutes left in the future, Bas could be the man to get that vital flick on for someone.................................

He could be a valuable squad member in the future, who knows.......................................

Of course many of all your arguments are valid but some of you are still pointing out how "crap" a player Savage is.Forget that bit.

What I'm saying Savage is HIS player and to me the consoling could have been done on the pitch where everyone saw it.That way Savage could feel he has his manager behind him witnessed by supporters.

As for not wanting Baz to dwell on it well I'm afraid he already was at that point.It was there to see.

More than likely felt the loneliest player on the pitch and wished the ground swallowed him up.

Still onwards and upwards for him I suppose.

The fact that GJ still keeps picking him should be enough proof to Bas that he has his managers backing

Its a lot more backing then Stewart and Bridges got.

The bit I feel was rather funny was the geezer at the start reading out the team sheet...."at number 30, and he is still there....BAS SAVAGE" :w00t:

What makes me laugh about this "hand grenade incident" which cost us four defeats in the league, of which one was very unlucky and another daylight robbery, is that you would think Johnson was the first manager in English football that has ever told his players a few home truths. All of Johnson's detractors seem to believe that there were two players who didn't take too kindly to it, namely MARCUS STEWART and STEVE PHILLIPS. What do you think would happen to those two players if the grenade had been delivered by Alex Ferguson or Brian Clough? They would have been packing their bags months ago.

Do people think it was professional of one of our highest squad earners to be stood on the sidelines at Doncaster slagging off the manager to the fans. That is fact and there are enough of us on this forum who witnessed it and heard it - please bear that in mind, moderators. If that is how a player reacts to not being in the starting eleven then quite frankly the sooner they ###### off, the better.

What makes me laugh though is that Marcus Stewart is expected to be given even more opportunity by Johnson's detractors to prove that he is not an over-rated pie eating, cider swilling has-been yet the same people seem to perceive Steve Phillips as a sulker who should be booted out. Personally, and judging from the last few months, I think the sooner THE PAIR OF THEM are off the wage bill the better. Get in Chris Weale as competition for Basso and work hard over the summer to bring a couple of "hungry and ambitious" forwards into the club rather than some under-achieving badge kisser out to see his final few pay cheques arrive safely in the bank.

Archived