IGNORED

Back Four Are Playing Superbly

yeovilred

I think the back four have shown that they prefer to have Basso behind them by their performances. He makes some reasonable saves and I thought he showed signs on Saturday that his kicking work is improving.

But he does two things that Phillips doesn't.

1. he uses his throws very well and sets up counter attacks with them

2. He comes for his share of crosses, and the central pairing in particular seem to appreciate that.

Basso deserves to be the first choice keeper because of his performances. He deals with crosses very well and kicks better, and his shot stopping is at least equal to Phillips'. The defence are obviously more comfortable with him in goal, and it makes me more comfortable too.

It is no bad thing having two keepers competing for the starting jersey.

Basso deserves to be the first choice keeper because of his performances. He deals with crosses very well and kicks better, and his shot stopping is at least equal to Phillips'. The defence are obviously more comfortable with him in goal, and it makes me more comfortable too.

It is no bad thing having two keepers competing for the starting jersey.

Kicks better? Jesus Christ, he's one of the worst kickers of a ball I've ever seen play in goal.

Philips' poor kicking was in 1998, since when he's miles better at it than Basso.

As for the defence being more comfortable, twice on Saturday he came charging out and Carey and Fontaine chose to hack it clear instead, as they didn't hear any shout (if there was one) and Skuse and Orr both lost possession late on when they didn't pass back presumably because of his poor kicking.

I completely accept the point about him dealing with crosses better and us having 2 keepers and he'd be a good back up to a better one, IMO.

That being said Phillips has about as much chance of getting another start this season as Grant Smith.

and kicks better,

You are kidding surely.

He's the worst kicker we've had in goal at Ashton gate in the last 20 years at least, and that beats some strong competition.

Yes, he's better at crosses and a decent stopper (not as good as Phillips at stopping just more showy), but a better kicker? No way.

Kicks better? Jesus Christ, he's one of the worst kickers of a ball I've ever seen play in goal.

Philips' poor kicking was in 1998, since when he's miles better at it than Basso.

As for the defence being more comfortable, twice on Saturday he came charging out and Carey and Fontaine chose to hack it clear instead, as they didn't hear any shout (if there was one) and Skuse and Orr both lost possession late on when they didn't pass back presumably because of his poor kicking.

I completely accept the point about him dealing with crosses better and us having 2 keepers and he'd be a good back up to a better one, IMO.

That being said Phillips has about as much chance of getting another start this season as Grant Smith.

Spot on.

The Back for have been superb! think it is no shock that now we are able to play the same players each week they are performing better together, however......basso is just a clown, personally think he is a shocking keeper.

but saying that I doubt Phillips will play again this season. All Stevie can do is go away for the summer come back and with the right attitude and show he has grown up and fight for his place, if he can show the right attitude for the team I think he will come in.

At the moment, it's not his ability keeping him out , it's his attitude.

Archived