IGNORED

Late Charge For The Play-offs...

RegC

Just a thought, but would it really be that bad a thing if we had our faint Play-Off hopes dashed over this Easter weekend's fixtures? Being safe with a few games left might enable a bit more experimentation with some of the kiddies (Williams et al) who haven't really been able to be blooded as we've been battling releg. To still have faint hope of reaching the top 6 come the final day might just leave us all with dashed hopes & mean an even harder job to pick the players up for the pre-season slog.

OR do we go all guns blazing for the final games with a never-say-die attitude hoping for a minor miracle and sneaking into a P-O position? Surely if we did get ther then we'd be in with a bloomin' good chance but should we just be happy with survival this year? There have been times this term when I've realised that relegation was an almost dead cert & to be in this position just illustrates how bad the division is.

I am not sure which is better. A slow finish trying out some new players/tactics or whatever in a 'pre-season' stylee or shall we just win all of our last games & sneak in at the death?!

Interested to see what everyone/anyone thinks.

CTID

Reg

might be just a little too much to get back with the games left but i think you have to go out to win games regardless

it would be an ideal time to give the younger lads a "taste" of the first team, and playing in front of bigger crowds than they are used to. Its no good dumping them in when they are needed as "proper" first teamers.

Besides, i assume these players have been given contracts because of the promise they are showing.

It is good that the acedemy is turning out this many in one season, although obviously it remains to be seen how many will go the whole way and make the jump to regular first team players.

But with players like Skuse, Brown, Woodman, Lita, Goldbourne, etc etc all coming through in the last few years, it does give a certain amount of confidence in our youth system.

It looks like some of the youth teams will acheive impressive league placings in leagues containing Prem clubs.

:devil::devil::devil:

• Admin

Just a thought, but would it really be that bad a thing if we had our faint Play-Off hopes dashed over this Easter weekend's fixtures? Being safe with a few games left might enable a bit more experimentation with some of the kiddies (Williams et al) who haven't really been able to be blooded as we've been battling releg. To still have faint hope of reaching the top 6 come the final day might just leave us all with dashed hopes & mean an even harder job to pick the players up for the pre-season slog.

OR do we go all guns blazing for the final games with a never-say-die attitude hoping for a minor miracle and sneaking into a P-O position? Surely if we did get ther then we'd be in with a bloomin' good chance but should we just be happy with survival this year? There have been times this term when I've realised that relegation was an almost dead cert & to be in this position just illustrates how bad the division is.

I am not sure which is better. A slow finish trying out some new players/tactics or whatever in a 'pre-season' stylee or shall we just win all of our last games & sneak in at the death?!

CTID

Reg

Don't forget the effect that pushing for the play-offs after the season we've just had will have on season ticket and replica shirt sales. That could also then have a great influence on the quality of player we are able to bring in in the Summer.

However, IF we made the play-offs, as much as it may hurt, I reckon we'd be better off losing in the final. Still get the extra income from featuring in them but don't suddenly find ourselves in the Championship before we have a team capable of staying there!

There is the argument that losing the final could be bad for morale as it was when Wilson's side lost there but I'm sure GJ could spin it to the players that it showed how far they had come in such a short time and boded well for next season.

I think this season could well end up like the last, unless we pick up an unlikely 6 points over the weekend, which means we could get the chance to blood some youngsters, ala skuse etc last year. If Johnson plans to get rid of anyone in the summer, leave them out and give others a run.

However, given that we have 5 tough fixtures to go, i would stick with our senior players and keep a good run going to keep morale high. Plus, we need to send swindle down whether or not we have anything to play for!!

• Admin

Steady on, I'm still emotionally scarred from the last one.................

Last time we went and to be honest we were expected to win. It was the only way that season could be classed as a success having finished 3rd twice in a row.

If we went this season it would be more of a bonus having been rock bottom in December!

CTID

Reg

Either scenario will be good for the club. Which just shows how well the season has been turned around. The team will progress either way!!!

I don't have any playoff hopes, in my view now we're safe we should be playing the youngsters. The chances of us sneaking into the playoffs are minimal and to be perfectly honest this squad isn't ready and it could do more harm than good in the long term.

I don't have any playoff hopes, in my view now we're safe we should be playing the youngsters. The chances of us sneaking into the playoffs are minimal and to be perfectly honest this squad isn't ready and it could do more harm than good in the long term.

I agree that this squad may not be ready for promotion this year. However, if we are still in League 1 next year there is the very real danger of losing the likes of Brooker and Cotterill.

Ive pretty much resigned myself to us losing Cotterill sooner or later....but I'll be reduced to tears if Brooker leaves. :crying:

I agree that this squad may not be ready for promotion this year. However, if we are still in League 1 next year there is the very real danger of losing the likes of Brooker and Cotterill.

Ive pretty much resigned myself to us losing Cotterill sooner or later....but I'll be reduced to tears if Brooker leaves. :crying:

The most we can do is keep them both on long contracts. Then at least if they go it will have to be for stupid money.

If SteveL isn't planning on locking Brooker in a room this summer until he's signed a 4 year deal he bloody well wants shooting.

Archived