IGNORED

I Wish I Was At Those Matches

Stoke_Gifford_Red

Reminds me of the fixed footy match in 1983 between Spain and Malta. Let me set the scene:

1. Its the last match of the group involving Holland, Spain, Rep.Ireland, Iceland and Malta.

2. Spain have played 7 games and scored 12 goals in all.

3. Holland are ahead of Spain after beating Malta 5-0, and this leaves Spain requiring an eleven goal winning margin to pip the Dutch on goal difference.

So what happens? Spain magically manage to win 12-1. At half time its 3-1 and they look nowhere near getting the goals, then suddenly Malta lie down and die in the second half. Funny that. The last goal comes in the last minute, of course.

Partly yes, the other game that caused FIFA to ensure all games are played at the same time now happened in 1982 in Spain during the world cup finals there. There was a group with West Germany, Austria, Chile and Algeria and that was theorder they expected to finish in (2 went through to the next stage), but Algeria beat the Germans 2-1 in the opening game and when it came to the last round of matches Algeria played Chile a day before the Germany-Austria match.

Algeria won 3-2 and finished on 4 points (2 for a win in those days) and the table read like this:

Austria 2 0 0 3-0 4

Algeria 2 0 1 5-5 4

WGermany1 0 1 5-3 2

Chile 0 0 3 3-8 0

Clearly a 1-0 or 2-0 German win would put both germany and austria through at Algeria's expense and that's what happened. Germany got an early goal and the rest of the game was a farce with Austria refusing to attack and Germany keeping the ball passing it round. It was a scandal but because FIFA are cowards they didn't take any action against either team (if Algeria and Chile had done the same you can be sure they would have been thrown out of the competition).

The upshot was to play the last group games at the same time, but it was too late to stop an injustice.

Archived