IGNORED

Bizzare But Serious Question;

Jimmy

This is going to sound like quite a strange question i know, but it is one that I would be very interested to hear your answers to.

Me and a friend have recently watched the entire 'Band of Brothers' series on dvd, on watching it we came up with an interesting thought;

When you were late teens/early twenties (which we both are currently), would you rather live the life you did at that time, or would you rather have spent that time period of your life fighting in World War 2?

I know this sounds a bizarre question, and the initial reaction of some may be to question why one would want to place themselves in such a horrific conflict. But we both agreed that given the opportunity to either live our lives as we do/are now or have the opportunity to fight such a horrific facist regime, we would indeed choose to live our lives during 1945.

I have to be honest and say I sat on the fence for quite a while, indeed until I watched episode 9 ('Why we fight' I believe it is called) I was only slightly leaning toward the 1945 option. However that episode, an episode in which American soldiers discover a concentration camp with apparently no previous knowledge of their existence, is truly mind blowing. A fantastic piece of television which hit home to the extent that all of a sudden there was no decision to make.

Id like to hear peoples thoughts on this subject, as horrific as the war was if possible would you chose to live, and possibly give your life for what Dwight D.Eisenhower described as the 'great crusade'?

EDIT: Please rest assured that I (and the friend i mention) are not 'gun-ho' fools who think War is all pride and glory.

I only say this in an attempt to assure fears that we have not said, off the cuff, 'yeah id do that, why not etc.'

NB. Ive asked a few other friends this question and they say they would rather live their lives as they are now, I totally respect their opinions.

My answer is no.

Firstly, I wouldn't trust any sanitised version produced for TV as I seriously doubt the gruesome aspects of war could ever be adequately conveyed.

From an existentialist point of view it is pretty much impossible to say how you would cope or even think. Firstly, I would say that you watching the war serialised in the 21st century is a wholly different experience to anyone taking part in WWII. In fact, if you existed back then you would be a very different you.

Putting philosophical debate to oneside, I just can't imagine why anyone would prefer an existence where you know your life has a high chance of ending at any moment.

Firstly, I wouldn't trust any sanitised version produced for TV as I seriously doubt the gruesome aspects of war could ever be adequately conveyed.

I couldnt agree more.

This response is one that I both equally expected and feared.

The 'Band of Brothers' reference is there mainly because that was what inspried the question. I am not suggesting that until I saw this series I would have said no, merely that watching this series with a friend inspired the question and hammered home (only to a certain degree clearly because as you say it is only a television program) some issues that where previously understood, but perhaps never pondered.

From an existentialist point of view it is pretty much impossible to say how you would cope or even think. Firstly, I would say that you watching the war serialised in the 21st century is a wholly different experience to anyone taking part in WWII. In fact, if you existed back then you would be a very different you.

Again, I couldnt agree more and quite clearly the point(s) you make is/are extremely valid.

I'm asking whether people in their current mind set, basing their thoughts on the people they currently are would choose to be involved or not.

Of course, it goes without saying, If any of us where in that position I'm sure we would place less value on the task ahead of us and more value on the desire to be anywhere but. However with hindsight, viewing the war as a monumental act in the history of the world, perhaps the most clear cut conflict with defining good and evil boundaries, is there not a case to be made that giving your life for such a cause is more desirable than living a 'standard' life?

NB. I'm genuinely not trying to be some bawlshy macho idiot, indeed the fact that I feel the need to include this comment dissapoints me as I would hope, given the subject matter, no-one would interpret this post as such.

Dunno what you're on about.

Would I rather have lived during the war and not had the comforts that I have right now? Would I f##k!

The World Wars, as much as the best side won, were wholly regrettable era in the ridiculous history of this moronic species.

If you genuinely wish you could fight a good and honest fight, why not dedicate your life to a good cause? Why do guns and fighting have to involved for someone to be a hero?

I don't understand the question at all?

Dunno what you're on about.

Apologies, I felt the question was relatively straight forward after bring explained more than once.

Would I rather have lived during the war and not had the comforts that I have right now? Would I f##k!

Without the comforts?

Yes quite clearly what I was refering to was the lack of television, central heating and every household owning a motor vechicle!?

With all due respect, in regards to this comment I 'dunno what you are on about.'

The World Wars, as much as the best side won, were wholly regrettable

Quite clearly!?

If you genuinely wish you could fight a good and honest fight, why not dedicate your life to a good cause?

I never said (as a rule) I wanted to fight for a good and honest cause, I was being specific to this situation.

Why do guns and fighting have to involved for someone to be a hero?

Where did I say they did!?

It was a thought that me and a mate discussed the other day and I was interested to see what people on this forum felt on the matter. Based on the fact that the person I had been speaking to was in {and has intentions to return to} the marines whereas I don't especially have an interest in a military career, yet we agreed on the issue, I was wondering what others felt on the subject.

Sincerest apologies, I withdraw the question and long may we return to such previously mentioned stimulating conversation.

Sincerest apologies, I withdraw the question and long may we return to such previously mentioned stimulating conversation.

No need to take it to heart. I don't get the question (still) and so added my thoughts.

Explain why you would rather live back then and I might see what you mean.

I never said (as a rule) I wanted to fight for a good and honest cause

"is there not a case to be made that giving your life for such a cause is more desirable than living a 'standard' life?"

Isn't that what you meant?

I don't get the question (still) and so added my thoughts.

The question was;

If you could be late teens/early 20's fighting facism and the oppression of a race in 1945, combatting one of the most evil dictatorships the world has ever seen, would you want to take that opportunity or would you rather be living those years in this day and age?

It is probably fair to say that the entirity of the question revolves around whether you see the participation of that fight as a wanted honour.

Explain why you would rather live back then and I might see what you mean.

The issue isnt so much the concept of living in that day and age, more over being part of the war effort to defeat Nazi Germany.

"is there not a case to be made that giving your life for such a cause is more desirable than living a 'standard' life?"

Isn't that what you meant?

Yes it is what I meant, however I am/was being specific to the issue of the war, rather than talking in generalities.

I guess the issue in a nutshell here is whether fighting to defend your way of life and {potentially} sacrificing your own in the process is preferential to living a relatively uneventful, 'standard' life (and i include myself in that category, it isnt meant as an insult to anyone.)

In todays world if this country had to go to war on that scale i would be there like a flash.

As would I if the cause was just.

My mate posed me an interesting question during our conversation;

If there had been a 'call to arms' (not a mandatory draft), but a situation where the goverment called for volunteers prior to the War in Iraq, at which time a statement had been made saying 'our way of life was at risk and we need recruits', would I have put myself forward.

I honestly had no idea.

The question was;

If you could be late teens/early 20's fighting facism and the oppression of a race in 1945, combatting one of the most evil dictatorships the world has ever seen, would you want to take that opportunity or would you rather be living those years in this day and age?

It is probably fair to say that the entirity of the question revolves around whether you see the participation of that fight as a wanted honour.

The issue isnt so much the concept of living in that day and age, more over being part of the war effort to defeat Nazi Germany.

Yes it is what I meant, however I am/was being specific to the issue of the war, rather than talking in generalities.

Hypothetically, there could only be two motives for saying yes to your question:

1/ You want to experience war, or

2/ You want to fight for a noble cause.

I'm not interested in being involved in any war past or present, and there are plenty of noble causes out there that are equally worth our bravery and commitment should we be up to the challenge.

Am I still missing something Jimmy?

Hypothetically, there could only be two motives for saying yes to your question:

1/ You want to experience war, or

2/ You want to fight for a noble cause.

I'm not interested in being involved in any war past or present, and there are plenty of noble causes out there that are equally worth our bravery and commitment should we be up to the challenge.

Am I still missing something Jimmy?

No you are not and thank you for sharing your opinion.

I imagine that literally 99% of those that fought during the war did not want to be there at the time, however I imagine that a majority of them would not morally regret their involvement looking back. The issue of whether a professional soldier desires war is an interesting one, and one that I am not qualified to comment on.

Do you believe, with hindsight informing us of the atrocities committed by the Nazi's (and this is a pure and simple question), that those people who fought during the war where fortunate to be eligable to fight one of the greatest causes in the history of mankind, or do you think they were unlucky to be of the right age to be sent to war?

No you are not and thank you for sharing your opinion.

I imagine that literally 99% of those that fought during the war did not want to be there. The issue of whether a professional soldier desires wa is an interesting one, and one that I am not qualified to comment on.

Do you believe (and this is a pure and simple question) that those people who fought during the war where fortunate to be eligable to fight one of the greatest cause in the history of mankind, or do you think they were unlucky to be of the right age to be sent to war?

I don't think that either the allied soldiers nor the nazi soldiers were lucky to go through that.

I don't think that either the allied soldiers nor the nazi soldiers were lucky to go through that.

Of course I agree the war and the sights within it were horrific. It obviously would have been better for all had this war, and all wars for that matter never happened.

I'm glad that you raised the issue of the Nazi soldiers, many of which were simply people like you or I who were conscripted into the armed forces.

Of course I agree the war and the sights within it were horrific. It obviously would have been better for all had this war, and all wars for that matter never happened.

I'm glad that you raised the issue of the Nazi soldiers, many of which were simply people like you or I who were conscripted into the armed forces.

Good on you Jimmy, they were indeed, nor did they have the full picture that we now have.

I suppose you'd have to talk to someone who was there to get a better idea of whether you'd want to put yourself through it. If they've got a glazed look in their eye and a twitch, I guess you might think better of it :(

I reckon wars are rubbish, but thank funk the allied forces did what they did, cos Adolf and his nazi cronies were scum.

Film could, and never will give an accurate account of War time England, It was not romantic fighting the Nazi's, or nice, the thought of War and having to kill somone you don't know is mind blowing.

So many people died, their family members, friends and fellow soldiers. Coping with War and the horrors surrounding it would have been disturbing and horrificly upsetting.

We don't live in a perfect world, but it's a hell of a lot better than it would have been under Germany and Hitler, and for that i'm allways thankful to the people who fought for our freedom in WWI & II.

Would I like to be a WWII soldier? Only online playing Battlefield 1942 thankyou, getting shot for real sucks.

My answer is no.

Having served in the Australian Army in Vietnam for a short while your sentiments above are quite correct.

I made many friends of which a very high percentage I will never see again for obvious reasons.

It's even more disturbing when the war has no ######ing point what so ever.

As would I if the cause was just.

My mate posed me an interesting question during our conversation;

If there had been a 'call to arms' (not a mandatory draft), but a situation where the goverment called for volunteers prior to the War in Iraq, at which time a statement had been made saying 'our way of life was at risk and we need recruits', would I have put myself forward.

I honestly had no idea.

I would volutneer, but then forces is one of two carrears i have in mind after Uni anway, the other being teaching, but if i could get into sandhurst then i would jump at the oportunity even if i didn't end up staying in the Army for my full carrear, as it's about the best management training the world has to offer.

If I was sent to war I'd be asking ''for who? for what?'' and my reply to a lot of the answer's I suspect would be ''you can bugger off mate''.

I have this belief that just because I happen to be of the same species as you and I happen to live on this piece of land doesn't mean that I'm going to take notice of your instruction and if you think I'm going off to get myself killed on your sayso then you are sadly mistaken.

Attitude problem - moi??? :me?:

This Iraqi thing, as I suspected all along, has turned out it was no business of the West's to go meddling in it.

Won't go ranting about the suppossed breakdown in the moral fabric of society in the last 60 years and how I reckon it was so much better in the good old day's when men were allowed to be men and we weren't selfish spoilt brat's who don't know that we're born as one of our old(er) timer's would put me in my place and tell me to shut TF up and that I didn't know what I was on about.

Guest bcfcjake

If I was sent to war I'd be asking ''for who? for what?'' and my reply to a lot of the answer's I suspect would be ''you can bugger off mate''.

I have this belief that just because I happen to be of the same species as you and I happen to live on this piece of land doesn't mean that I'm going to take notice of your instruction and if you think I'm going off to get myself killed on your sayso then you are sadly mistaken.

Attitude problem - moi??? :me?:

This Iraqi thing, as I suspected all along, has turned out it was no business of the West's to go meddling in it.

Won't go ranting about the suppossed breakdown in the moral fabric of society in the last 60 years and how I reckon it was so much better in the good old day's when men were allowed to be men and we weren't selfish spoilt brat's who don't know that we're born as one of our old(er) timer's would put me in my place and tell me to shut TF up and that I didn't know what I was on about.

wtf, i'm proud to tell you, you have won the stupidest post of 3:10 am.

congrats.

speech,speech :pray:

ps. heres your trophy :Party12:

speech,speech :pray:

Oh go on then....you've twisted my eye.

I'd like to dedicate this prestiduous award to my only true friend's, the tree's. They were there when no one else wanted me, took me in and treated me as one of their own. I will remain forever in their debt and there is no way I would have been where I am today without them.

Blue skies signify happy tree's but cloudy skies signify angry tree's.

Thankyou and goodnight.

Blue skies signify happy tree's but cloudy skies signify angry tree's.

Which begs the question, why are English trees so miserable, when some of their foreign counterparts are so happy-clappy?

All this tree-loving sounds a bit pagan to me. Didn't you also promise to wear a goat costume for Dr F? This is getting like Dragnet!

IPB Image

Archived