IGNORED

My Alternative Bas Savage Challenge

maidenheadred

Before the challenge itself - a bit of ranting:

Mark McCammon can be mediocre for 75 minutes, and no one notices. Bas comes on, makes one comedy mistake, a couple of typical league 1 mistakes, and people can't wait to get to their keyboards to have a go. He cost nothing, he earns nothing, he provides genuine entertainment, he provides a different option from the bench which actually does have a beneficial effect for the the team (holds up the ball, takes it into the corners.. useful when you're 2-1 up with 5 mins to go!) - and he lifts the stadium when he takes the field. The crowd *doe###### get excited when he comes on and away from the morons, there is a genuine will for him to score, and genuine excitement when it looks like it might somehow happen! And why have i not found any mention of that bit of skill when he beat three guys in the corner? why is that ignored - does anyone who booed Bas today think Mark McCammon could do that? He's unconventional - and a lot of people can't understand that, and can't see past that to appreciate what he can do. And yes- I do know he's crap really. But i've seen a lot worse at the Gate.. who probably earned a lot more money.

Anyway, the challenge itself:

Am thinking that at least half of those who persistently knock Bas on the forum must have been amongst those who booed him today, or chanted 'off off off' when he got booked. So, I want you to articulate why you did that, and what good you think it does Bristol City Football Club. Simple, really! So who's got the ******** to admit it, eh?

Mark McCammon can be mediocre for 75 minutes, and no one notices. Bas comes on, makes one comedy mistake, a couple of typical league 1 mistakes, and people can't wait to get to their keyboards to have a go. He cost nothing, he earns nothing, he provides genuine entertainment, he provides a different option from the bench which actually does have a beneficial effect for the the team (holds up the ball, takes it into the corners.. useful when you're 2-1 up with 5 mins to go!) - and he lifts the stadium when he takes the field. The crowd *doe###### get excited when he comes on and away from the morons, there is a genuine will for him to score, and genuine excitement when it looks like it might somehow happen! And why have i not found any mention of that bit of skill when he beat three guys in the corner? why is that ignored - does anyone who booed Bas today think Mark McCammon could do that? He's unconventional - and a lot of people can't understand that, and can't see past that to appreciate what he can do. And yes- I do know he's crap really. But i've seen a lot worse at the Gate.. who probably earned a lot more money.

Am thinking that at least half of those who persistently knock Bas on the forum must have been amongst those who booed him today, or chanted 'off off off' when he got booked. So, I want you to articulate why you did that, and what good you think it does Bristol City Football Club. Simple, really! So who's got the ******** to admit it, eh?

Have never booed him, red shirt on and i want him to do well, problem is he,s pants

I think it is more sad to realise that most fans are actually laughing at him, as opposed to booing him.

The plain truth is he's an embarrassment to the club and always has been.

At least Bas Savage makes people laugh and gives them something to talk about. I don't see many people laughing at a player who has buggered off up North, called the manager "non league standard", very rarely scores, very rarely gets involved in the game (apart from showing a decent touch every 20-30 minutes, getting caught offside every 5 minutes and scoring every now and again), has obviously not bought into the team spirit we have and is happy to pick up his £5,000 per week as the highest paid player at the club. That joke, I am afraid, is far more embarrassing and not funny in the slightest.

I'm not saying Savage is any good or that we should keep him, only that the guy has tried his hardest and it is a shame that he never had the talent of Stewart, who, quite frankly, has shown an attitude that to me suggests he considers himself bigger than the manager and the football club - despite claiming to be a SUPPORTER of this club and allegedly loving it to bits.

Savage is just inconsistant! The little run down to the corner of the Dolman/Atyeo, where he held the ball up, dun 3 players with good hold up play and skill, just shows what he "could" do! But then he goes and lets a ball go under his foot. But how many players have we seen do that, LOTS. Bradley Orr screwed a few balls in to the Dolman today, don't hear people booing him.

All players make mistakes and do things wrong, including Bas. don't get me wrong, he is not the best, and he should score more, but he can do better than what people make out! The poor lad is probably low on personal confidence, and being booed and chanting "off off off" at him doesnt help. Support him and he may suprise some people! He IS a City player whatever we think, and WILL wear the shirt again.

I've criticised Bas' ability consistently on this forum. I've never once booed him and every time I've criticised him on here I've praised his workrate and attitude. So I can't answer your question, in my opinion booing him does not help in the slightest and shouldn't be done. He doesn't pick himself.

He was awful yesterday, he didn't contribute anything at all. That one little bit of comical play where he tried to beat the same man several times sums it up - what came of it? A bit of show and a pass backwards. He failed to jump properly for what could have been a simple header into the net for 6 yards, got booked for a late clumsy challenge, and made an error of control that I wouldn't expect to see in a school team.

McCammon was poor but the difference is people will put up with him being weak on the ball because he is strong in the air (in the main) and SCORES. Savage isn't and doesn't. That being said I don't think either of them is good enough to be part of a promotion winning side.

I've watched City since the 80s and I've personally never seen a player with less natural ability in the side. I'm interested to hear who you think is worse.

Oh and Greebo, what precisely did this thread have to do with Stewart? I'm unsure why it's not OK to criticise a player for playing terribly but it's OK to slate one who wasn't even playing? Were you in the dressing room or are you just speculating? The reason people don't laugh at McCammon and Stewart is that they might actually score.

I've criticised Bas' ability consistently on this forum. I've never once booed him and every time I've criticised him on here I've praised his workrate and attitude. So I can't answer your question, in my opinion booing him does not help in the slightest and shouldn't be done. He doesn't pick himself.

He was awful yesterday, he didn't contribute anything at all. That one little bit of comical play where he tried to beat the same man several times sums it up - what came of it? A bit of show and a pass backwards. He failed to jump properly for what could have been a simple header into the net for 6 yards, got booked for a late clumsy challenge, and made an error of control that I wouldn't expect to see in a school team.

McCammon was poor but the difference is people will put up with him being weak on the ball because he is strong in the air (in the main) and SCORES. Savage isn't and doesn't. That being said I don't think either of them is good enough to be part of a promotion winning side.

I've watched City since the 80s and I've personally never seen a player with less natural ability in the side. I'm interested to hear who you think is worse.

Oh and Greebo, what precisely did this thread have to do with Stewart? I'm unsure why it's not OK to criticise a player for playing terribly but it's OK to slate one who wasn't even playing? Were you in the dressing room or are you just speculating? The reason people don't laugh at McCammon and Stewart is that they might actually score.

awww now come on, that's a little harsh on the big fella! He had natural ability! His first touch is a bit random, but once he gets hold of the thing he has genuine skill, and he showed that once yesterday (and he's showed it many more times in other games... Swansea at home he was ace!). He's more popular in real life than on the forum, and the number of words written about him on here means his every move is scrutinised in detail after the game... and when even his skillful moments are criticised, i really do start to dispair. He has natural ability - but he's not a natural league one player. And sadly never will be - but i'm grateful for the entertainment, and i'm greatful for the role he played in our turnaround; how important it was in the turnaround in form we'll never know..

Anyway, that's all been written 1000 times before, so instead arguing further, am going to take up your challenge on players i've seen with less natural ability!

First list includes those who i think can't use a football as well as Bas. Some because they were crap players, some because they had no skill, some because they couldn't be arsed. Here goes:

Brian Mitchell

Liam Robinson

Colin Loss

Richard Dryden

Glenn Pennyfather

Kelly Youga

David Martin

Ian Baird

Abdul Camara

Julian ?? (crap centre back from Leicester that John Ward signed)

Stuart Munro

Rodney McCree

Alright, so maybe it's not the longest list in the world. So, how about a list of players who when you way up wages and transfer fees have provided less than HALF as much benefit-to-bristol-city (BTBC - tm) as Bas:

Bo Andersen

Vimos Seebok

Ray Atteveld

Steve Jones

Lee Miller (cost a fortune; did nothing..)

Carl Hutchings

Tony Thorpe

Tony Dinning

Marcus Stewart

Steve Torpey (sorry Steve, but you cost £400k!!!)

God, there must be more... but that's a starter for 10, anyway!

you forgot

scott mcgarvey

marvin harriot

baz is far better than these two.

the problem is that baz is a striker and they suppose to

score goals. thats their job.that is what they are paid for.

that is why fans are on his back.

if he was in midfield , nobody would expect him to score

lots of goals.

keep going baz.

you forgot

scott mcgarvey

marvin harriot

baz is far better than these two.

the problem is that baz is a striker and they suppose to

score goals. thats their job.that is what they are paid for.

that is why fans are on his back.

if he was in midfield , nobody would expect him to score

lots of goals.

keep going baz.

Marvin Harriot!!! how could i forget him?!? Genius!

What was the name of that little striker we had in on loan this season? he really was shocking in the breif time he had on the pitch.

Is it that Kelly Youga you mention MHR?

Julian Watts probably did have less ability than Bas imo.

I don't think TT's contribution was that bad.

Whilst i agree with your post, can i just clarify that there was no way Bas could have reached that cross. From my view behind the goal towards the back of the ateyo, it was about 3 foot too high for him.

Also, any idiot who boo's a city player before he even runs out onto the pitch, should not bother coming back to ashton gate. So many complete clowns in the ateyo with about 3 brain cells between them, think they're hillarious for 'singing savage is sh1t'. Well, clowns, you're not funny.

Shut the door on the way out....

What was the name of that little striker we had in on loan this season? he really was shocking in the breif time he had on the pitch.

Is it that Kelly Youga you mention MHR?

Julian Watts probably did have less ability than Bas imo.

I don't think TT's contribution was that bad.

. wasn't that bad, but by my sums Tony Thorpe has taken more money out of Bristol City FC than any other player in history when you weigh up transfer fees, (huuge) wages, and the money we got back for him (nothing!).

Thorpe was, is, and probably always will be my least favorite (i won't say 'hated' - too harsh!) Bristol City player. An absolute disgrace how little we got out of him and how little he tried for probably £2m of our hard earned/borrowed cash! Puts the 30k invesment in Bas (my guess at 6 months wages) into perspective!

Guest yateady

awww now come on, that's a little harsh on the big fella! He had natural ability! His first touch is a bit random, but once he gets hold of the thing he has genuine skill, and he showed that once yesterday (and he's showed it many more times in other games... Swansea at home he was ace!). He's more popular in real life than on the forum, and the number of words written about him on here means his every move is scrutinised in detail after the game... and when even his skillful moments are criticised, i really do start to dispair. He has natural ability - but he's not a natural league one player. And sadly never will be - but i'm grateful for the entertainment, and i'm greatful for the role he played in our turnaround; how important it was in the turnaround in form we'll never know..

Anyway, that's all been written 1000 times before, so instead arguing further, am going to take up your challenge on players i've seen with less natural ability!

First list includes those who i think can't use a football as well as Bas. Some because they were crap players, some because they had no skill, some because they couldn't be arsed. Here goes:

Brian Mitchell

Liam Robinson

Colin Loss

Richard Dryden

Glenn Pennyfather

Kelly Youga

David Martin

Ian Baird

Abdul Camara

Julian ?? (crap centre back from Leicester that John Ward signed)

Stuart Munro

Rodney McCree

Alright, so maybe it's not the longest list in the world. So, how about a list of players who when you way up wages and transfer fees have provided less than HALF as much benefit-to-bristol-city (BTBC - tm) as Bas:

Bo Andersen

Vimos Seebok

Ray Atteveld

Steve Jones

Lee Miller (cost a fortune; did nothing..)

Carl Hutchings

Tony Thorpe

Tony Dinning

Marcus Stewart

Steve Torpey (sorry Steve, but you cost £400k!!!)

God, there must be more... but that's a starter for 10, anyway!

i beleive munro, robinson and martin were in the team that beat liverpool, tony thorpe hardly had a bad rate up front for a striker, when in that time £1million for a player was the going rate. about 70% of the listed players have played at a higher level that bas can only dream about.

i beleive munro, robinson and martin were in the team that beat liverpool, tony thorpe hardly had a bad rate up front for a striker, when in that time £1million for a player was the going rate. about 70% of the listed players have played at a higher level that bas can only dream about.

Doesn't mean to say they were any good though.

Bas is actually currently playing at a higher level than Bas can only dream about. :blink:

Archived