IGNORED

Super Glos Beat Somerset By An Innings

cheshire_red

It's of interest to City fans, it's topical, highly relevant and a pish take to move it.

Appreciate that Kings was only joking, have the 2 moderators on this site at present absolutely no sense of humour or, realise that many read this in the few minutes it was on the main forum = interest.

BO11OCKS!

Gloucestershire = The Glorious City of Bristol

Somerset = Bunch-o'-straw-sucking-yokels-from-somewhere-out-in-the-arse-end-of nowhere...

"see you in the 20/20". Bring it on, bumpkin! :Cool27:

Spot on!

Somerset's headquarters are in Taunton 50 ish miles from Ashton Gate. Taunton Town and Yeovil Town fans can support Somerset. They also have a festival in Bath - former Gas territory!

Gloucestershire's Ground is the mecca of west country cricket. Home of the one day kings of the late 90s and early 2000s - those days will be returning soon. Regularly hosting one day internationals usually involving England, including the tremendous moment last season when Jon Lewis smacked the winning runs in the ODI against the Aussies - that was the moment when the Aussies knew they would be in a battle when the Ashes came around!

Somerest's Ground is so small that there were a couple of guys, back in the 80s, called Botham and Richards who kept whacking the ball out of the ground into the river. Its not as if these two were the same class as Craig Spearman or Mark Alleyne.

And Gloucester's ground is only about ten minutes drive from AG. OK the Memorial Ground isn't that far away - but its Bristol Rugby ground - forget anything else that happens there.

BO11OCKS!

Gloucestershire = The Glorious City of Bristol

Somerset = Bunch-o'-straw-sucking-yokels-from-somewhere-out-in-the-arse-end-of nowhere...

Close,

Somerset = Bunch-o'-straw-sucking-cider-drinking-yokels-from-somewhere-out-in-the-arse-end-of nowhere... :farmer:

Gloucestershire = A team so characterless they even base themselves in the non cricketing county of Bristol

Surely any followers of our mighty Cider Army should also follow the Cidermen in the cricket.

Personally I think all these so called gloucestershire fans are nothing more than glory seekers who would probably end up following the gas if they ever start doing better than us. :whistle:

wrong side of the river mate.

"Bunch-o'-straw-sucking-yokels-from-somewhere-out-in-the-arse-end-of nowhere"

you've shown your contempt of the west country.

I bet you don't even drink cider.

Long live somerset

Long live South Bristol :englandsmile4wf:

No contempt here mate, just a little banter. You may have heard of that?

Wrong side of the river? Are we really still that parochial?

The whole Rovers/Glos - City/Somerset thing - there may be some traditional truth in it, but not even sure there is. But certainly in the modern day, just as North Bristol is heavily populated with City fans, you'll also find a very large number of BCFC supporters amongst the Glos CCC membership.

No disrespect to the county of Somerset - I've visited it many times over the years and a very picturesque region it is too - but I'm from the City of Bristol and support the Bristol-based cricket team. Taunton's bloody miles away! And yes I do drink cider btw.

Easy choice for me, get my kids interested in watching cricket 15 mins away that they can get to directly by bus, or cart them off to an alien city in Taunton.

If you haven't got family history in Somerset then Gloucestershire is the natural county for Bristolians to support.

Football, especally the gas, simply doesn't come into it.

As for Trescothick, good luck to him. My son went to the first day of the Glos/Somerset 4 dayer partly to see Trescothick, ( he idolises him) but he supports Gloucestershire.

Wore his City shirt with pride as per usual and hit a kiddie in a gashead shirt for a couple of sixes at tea-time. That's what cricket should be about. :dance:

As for the City/Trescothick connection, pretty sure there are one or two City fans in the Glos line-up too. Wouldn't be too surprising would it, seing as alot of them, like us, are Bristolians? :dunno:

Hold on a minute!

I was born north of the river, but grew up and now live south of the river. BUT I might be moving to the north of the river this year....so who do I support??

I've always followed Gloucestershire to be honest.

An interesting web site......Here Check out Bedminster

Might answer a few points, no one is denying that Bristol in the main falls under Gloucs, but traditionally South of the river is Somerset, as once told to me by the late great Mike Thresher, hence why I follow City, well, that and the free coach trips to games on my Dads coach :laugh:

An interesting web site......Here Check out Bedminster

Might answer a few points, no one is denying that Bristol in the main falls under Gloucs, but traditionally South of the river is Somerset, as once told to me by the late great Mike Thresher, hence why I follow City, well, that and the free coach trips to games on my Dads coach :laugh:

"BEDMINSTER, a parish in the hundred of Hadcliffe with Bedminster, in the county of Somerset, a suburb of Bristol, 1 mile to the S. of the city. It is situated on the south bank of the river Avon, and contains the tythings of Bishport, or Bishopworth, and Knowle. The Avon here flows through the new cut which is crossed by an iron bridge, its natural channel forming now the floating docks of the city. The trade and manufactures of Bedminster are considerable, including collieries, timber-yards, tanyards, rope-walks, &c. It is a polling-place for the borough of Bristol. A large hospital is established."

So I'm a Somerset boy after all!! How the hell do I get to Taunton to watch 'em??

I see they make reference to 'tanyards' and 'collieries' but not budget booze shops and hooligan's favourite pubs!

Ah Kings Norton sir, its been a while since I chatted all things Cricket :)

Being at Uni means I get to see sod all nowerdays but it was most delightful to see Jon Lewis tear apart your battling line-up - twice!

England has been a joy to behold in recent times and finally England has a national team that the whole country can be proud of (unlike the footie and rugby at the moment)

After recent thumping wins I'm actually starting to feel remotely optimistic about our chances (and Harv here for a whole season now Bond has buggered off!) but I won't get my hopes up too much.

Reckon Somerset can retain their 20/20 crown and make it into division 1?

Cheers

Being at Uni means I get to see sod all nowerdays but it was most delightful to see Jon Lewis tear apart your battling line-up - twice!

England has been a joy to behold in recent times and finally England has a national team that the whole country can be proud of (unlike the footie and rugby at the moment)

After recent thumping wins I'm actually starting to feel remotely optimistic about our chances (and Harv here for a whole season now Bond has buggered off!) but I won't get my hopes up too much.

Cheers

Losing to Ireland doesn't help does it ? :laugh:

Losing to Ireland doesn't help does it ? :laugh:

before you start gas heads

johnson (not gary, you gasheads) cost us the game, you blue and white quaters won nothing

he went in to self destruct mode

so don't start spouting gashead blue and white quater nonsense on this board,

you wern't even there, the taunton reds would have told me if u were and i didn't see you,

give it up you one man (blue and white) team

tresko says Foook off too

up the city! :englandsmile4wf:

forget that last post

its not a good idea to start posting after 12 hours of blackthorne consumption :doh:

we were awful yesterday

well played harvey.

Harvey is a machine!!

i have however decided that, after that hangover and the following shift at work, blackthorne is evil and i shall never darken my throat with it.

Super Glos!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Cheers

After witnessing the recent performances i'd suggest that Somerset CCC have little chance of promotion in either league. Both White and Cullen are quality players with massive potential, but the reamainder of the team don't have the consistency to suggest that we'lll be able to achieve promotion.

If Caddy and Johnson can stay fit then we'll be competitve in the C&G and Twenty20, and I hope that James Hildreth proves that he's England quality and better than Ian Bell et al, for the middle order positions.

The most interesting news is that Richard Gould wants to bring international cricket to Somestet. The council has backed the plans so hopefully it'll become a reality by 2009.

Archived