IGNORED

Probably Another Rumour - Ben Davies?

Red Cloud

sorry -

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Davies rejects new deal to play in higher division

May 10 2006

By Neil Turner, Daily Post

CHESTER midfielder Ben Davies is poised to reject a deal from the Deva Stadium club to sign up for a further two years, and accept an offer from a League One outfit instead.

Davies joined City four years ago from Kidderminster and was a member of the Chester side which won the Nationwide Conference championship two seasons ago.

The 24-year-old, who made 45 League Two appearances for City this season, is out of contract next month and while Chester offered improved terms, it appears that he sees his future elsewhere.

City chairman Stephen Vaughan said last night "We have had discussions with Ben but it appears probable that he will move on to a club in League One.

"Apparently the player has had offers from Yeovil, Northampton and Bristol City.

"We would love to see Ben sign on for another two years with us, but in this age of freedom of contract, it looks like he will move on."

Vaughan revealed that the club were talking to other players and were having discussions with a prospective player-coach.

"We have had talks with four potential new players in the past two days, and we are also having a meeting with an experienced player who has passed his coaching examinations to discuss a player-coach role."

The City chairman also revealed that Chester were considering playing some home matches on a Friday evening next season.

"We played Rochdale last October and attracted an excellent crowd, so if there are international games on a Saturday, we would arrange our matches for the previous night.

"We are not ditching Saturday, that is still the main day for football, but we have to look at the economic benefits of Friday evenings."

The 2006/07 fixtures will be released on Thursday, June 22 and the new Football League season will kick off on Saturday, August 5, two weeks before the Premiership for the first time.

Found this on their website.

Ben Davies is starting his fourth season with the club and is an all action player with a never say die attitude that endears him to the City faithful. Ben began his career as a trainee with Walsall and then made 12 appearances for Kidderminster Harriers prior to his move to City. A former captain with Wales at semi pro level, Ben has threatened to become a regular goalscorer from midfield and can certainly claim some spectacular strikes to his name.

When I saw this description and say that he was 5.7 I thought he sounded like a Scott Brown type of player. Then I saw that he 12st 2lb! :blink: which makes him about as round as he is tall I think, unless of course he is Mighty Mouse. :shifty:

I've seen Chester a few times this year, and he's always stood out as being better than most of whats in that league. Good passer of the ball, reasonably quick, and gets his fair share of goals. Central midfield isn't our biggest concern though, and while I think he'd be a decent signing, I'd prefer that we concentrated on positions that need filling, like stikers.

• Admin

I've seen Chester a few times this year, and he's always stood out as being better than most of whats in that league. Good passer of the ball, reasonably quick, and gets his fair share of goals. Central midfield isn't our biggest concern though, and while I think he'd be a decent signing, I'd prefer that we concentrated on positions that need filling, like stikers.

Whilst I agree that we should do our utmost to secure a couple of top notch strikers, I don't agree that we should pay less attention to other areas.

If we look back to our last season in what is now the Championship, we did exactly that and I doubt anyone needs reminding of the result.

Whilst central midfield may look covered at present, it's worth noting that we've probably lost Luke and will probably be looking to sign one CM just to take us back up to this season's levels.

Whilst I agree that we should do our utmost to secure a couple of top notch strikers, I don't agree that we should pay less attention to other areas.

If we look back to our last season in what is now the Championship, we did exactly that and I doubt anyone needs reminding of the result.

Whilst central midfield may look covered at present, it's worth noting that we've probably lost Luke and will probably be looking to sign one CM just to take us back up to this season's levels.

Agree with Madger on that one, after we missed Russell so badly last season when he was injured imgaine what would happen if he and Noble got injured.

Skuse is great, Brown is resonable but after that I don't really think we have a lot else and one more would be a bounus if Luke leaves after the world cup.

He's young, cheap wages, available on a free and scores goals from midfield. Sounds like a worthwhile acquisition - if he turns out to be pants we're not massively out of pocket.

How many of the young 7 grads play central midfield though?

Aaron davies is the lad from yeovil that i would like us to sign this summer! He can play up front or out wide...go on Johnson got get him!

Back on the subject ha...umm seems a decent player but weather or not we will need him is the problem. Because we could end up with to many centre midfielders which then will mean players will get annoyed and end up leaving!

Archived