IGNORED

Cromwell The Miserable Traitor

Flaxbourton Red

Life under the wart-faced religous fanatic was a drag and would have been not too disimilar to living under the Taliban in Afghanistan. Cromwell banned christmas, hated drinking and would have certainly closed Ashton Gate had we been around at the time of his regime.

"Cromwell was a Puritan. He was a highly religious man who believed that everybody should lead their lives according to what was written in the Bible. The word "Puritan" means that followers had a pure soul and lived a good life. Cromwell believed that everybody else in England should follow his example.

One of the main beliefs of the Puritans was that if you worked hard, you would get to Heaven. Pointless enjoyment was frowned upon. Cromwell shut many inns and the theatres were all closed down. Most sports were banned. Boys caught playing football on a Sunday could be whipped as a punishment. Swearing was punished by a fine, though those who kept swearing could be sent to prison"

taken from "life under cromwell".

God save the Queen R.G. :englandsmile4wf:

Life under the wart-faced religous fanatic was a drag and would have been not too disimilar to living under the Taliban in Afghanistan. Cromwell banned christmas, hated drinking and would have certainly closed Ashton Gate had we been around at the time of his regime.

"Cromwell was a Puritan. He was a highly religious man who believed that everybody should lead their lives according to what was written in the Bible. The word "Puritan" means that followers had a pure soul and lived a good life. Cromwell believed that everybody else in England should follow his example.

One of the main beliefs of the Puritans was that if you worked hard, you would get to Heaven. Pointless enjoyment was frowned upon. Cromwell shut many inns and the theatres were all closed down. Most sports were banned. Boys caught playing football on a Sunday could be whipped as a punishment. Swearing was punished by a fine, though those who kept swearing could be sent to prison"

Is this directed at anyone in particular? :whistle:

Banning Christmas isn't a bad idea mind you.

What you've written is Royalist propaganda. Cromwell enjoyed beer and smoked. In fact Cromwell smoked and drank far too much toward the end of his life due to the demands of his job as head of state. Inns were shut down in certain places in England due to them being a meeting place for Royalist traitors and accounts of Cromwell playing football while at Cambridge University are well documented. :rolleyes:

Life under present day 'God' Queen Elizabeth II includes being filmed and photographed by her Royalist Gestapo Police at football matches and we're also forbidden to stand, sing and chant at Ashton Gate lest you offend one of her politically correct Gestapo informants. :shifty: Life in the present day Royalist Police State of England is none too healthy for freedom with the corrupt toff/snob Crown Prosecution Service willing to convict the average peppercorn wage earning Englishman for the smallest misdemeanour.

God Save Us from the Royalist Tyranny - restore the English Republic.

You say that, but what about the Hoff?

Gawd, I forgot.

Let's stop kidding: the Hoff and Lothar are German legends, but you guys are welcome to have the queen all to yourselves.

Before anyone says it - Hitler was Austrian.

Gobbers - good comeback, I make it 1-1 now. All to play for (or as annoying commentators like to say nowadays: "Now it really is 'game on'!!"...idiots).

Ahem...third best behind me and Lothar 'barrelchest Matthaus, if you don't mind!

Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961) was the Swiss-German psychoanalyst and greatest German or part German in my opinion. :dance: Look him up on the internet and read about him and marvel at his understanding of the human mind.

Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961) was the Swiss-German psychoanalyst and greatest German or part German in my opinion. :dance: Look him up on the internet and read about him and marvel at his understanding of the human mind.

Some might say Marx and Goethe as well.

My hero is Max Schmelling, a wartime boxer who saved the lives of Jews and tried to evade Hitler's attempts to use him as a propaganda tool. He became a heavyweight champion by becoming the first man to knock out the mighty Joe Louis. He was from Hamburg, where half my family are from and my mother met him when she was a child. He was a genuine and modest hero.

There's a coincidence then..... :whistle:

It is a coincidence that I began to read up about him without knowing that my mother had been greeted by him when she was a kid. It was only when I started banging on about the Hamburg connection that she told me. Obviously, it's always nice when your heroes come from the same place as you...or your mother :blink:

I might start going on and on about Schmelling in the way that Gobbers does about Cromwell :D

Indeed, i think Sophs is well worthy of a mention, even though she's only a quarter qualified. :dance::englandsmile4wf:

Sophs is a quarter Hoff?? That IS impressive!

It is a coincidence that I began to read up about him without knowing that my mother had been greeted by him when she was a kid. It was only when I started banging on about the Hamburg connection that she told me. Obviously, it's always nice when your heroes come from the same place as you...or your mother :blink:

I might start going on and on about Schmelling in the way that Gobbers does about Cromwell :D

I think you may be missing my point mozo, the coincidence i was referring to is that my Dad also originates from Hamburg, hence my saying that Sophs is 'quarter qualified'.

I think you may be missing my point mozo, the coincidence i was referring to is that my Dad also originates from Hamburg, hence my saying that Sophs is 'quarter qualified'.

I considered that but thought it was a bit far fetched.

So you and I are both half Hamburger? If it turns out we're related I'm going to get pretty freaked out!

I considered that but thought it was a bit far fetched.

So you and I are both half Hamburger? If it turns out we're related I'm going to get pretty freaked out!

I'm a quarter Hamburger?!??! I thought Grandad was from the Black Forest or something! :o

What you've written is Royalist propaganda. Cromwell enjoyed beer and smoked. In fact Cromwell smoked and drank far too much toward the end of his life due to the demands of his job as head of state. Inns were shut down in certain places in England due to them being a meeting place for Royalist traitors and accounts of Cromwell playing football while at Cambridge University are well documented. :rolleyes:

Life under present day 'God' Queen Elizabeth II includes being filmed and photographed by her Royalist Gestapo Police at football matches and we're also forbidden to stand, sing and chant at Ashton Gate lest you offend one of her politically correct Gestapo informants. :shifty: Life in the present day Royalist Police State of England is none too healthy for freedom with the corrupt toff/snob Crown Prosecution Service willing to convict the average peppercorn wage earning Englishman for the smallest misdemeanour.

God Save Us from the Royalist Tyranny - restore the English Republic.

The Republic bit is Good Gobbo, but gettin rid of the queen wont get atmosphere back at the Gate, nor will it stop Dibble bein a pain in the arris.........and Cromwell was a bloody kiljoy to be honest!!.........twerent just royalists he picked on

Some might say Marx and Goethe as well.

My hero is Max Schmelling, a wartime boxer who saved the lives of Jews and tried to evade Hitler's attempts to use him as a propaganda tool. He became a heavyweight champion by becoming the first man to knock out the mighty Joe Louis. He was from Hamburg, where half my family are from and my mother met him when she was a child. He was a genuine and modest hero.

Mozo, he was also a decorated para, one of those who dropped into Crete, and won the battle there against massive odds. Very brave men the fallschirmjager..........indeed Hamburg regiments had fine and distinguished records on all fronts in WW2, and few atrocities attributed to units from that area.

Mine would be Count Graf Von Stauffenburg, for having the guts to try and kill Hitler, while being a German patriot, and Adolf Galland fighter ace extrodinaire

And Konrad Adanauer.for giving Germany back some pride

Mozo, he was also a decorated para, one of those who dropped into Crete, and won the battle there against massive odds.

I'm afraid Schmelling, who had already saved the lives of his Jewish friends (his trainer was Jewish whom Max pleaded with Hitler to spare) as well as maintaining a successful boxing career, but was given no choice but to go to war. An on-line biog says this:

"Schmeling was inducted into the German army and trained as a paratrooper. In May 1941 he was injured jumping into Crete, and there were reports he had been killed; obituaries appeared in many American newspapers. When he did surface, he displeased Nazis by declining to confirm reports of British atrocities. He also shielded two Jewish children during a Nazi raid.

Still, Schmeling served the regime, staging boxing exhibitions for German soldiers throughout occupied Europe, then by visiting GIs in German prisoner- of-war camps. Some of the American soldiers greeted him as a sports hero; others shunned him as a Nazi shill."

Sorry Buckred, but you can't discredit this hero. He was a genuine credit to Germany and the sports world.

I'm afraid Schmelling, who had already saved the lives of his Jewish friends (his trainer was Jewish whom Max pleaded with Hitler to spare) as well as maintaining a successful boxing career, but was given no choice but to go to war. An on-line biog says this:

"Schmeling was inducted into the German army and trained as a paratrooper. In May 1941 he was injured jumping into Crete, and there were reports he had been killed; obituaries appeared in many American newspapers. When he did surface, he displeased Nazis by declining to confirm reports of British atrocities. He also shielded two Jewish children during a Nazi raid.

Still, Schmeling served the regime, staging boxing exhibitions for German soldiers throughout occupied Europe, then by visiting GIs in German prisoner- of-war camps. Some of the American soldiers greeted him as a sports hero; others shunned him as a Nazi shill."

Sorry Buckred, but you can't discredit this hero. He was a genuine credit to Germany and the sports world.

Belieive me Mozo, I'm not!!- the fallschirmjager, of which he was one had a first class fighting record, possibly the finest in the Wehrmacht, very hard but very fair, ncknamed the Green Devils for their fighting skills. I met a couple over the years, and they were brilliant old boys...got taught a few things by em!

I think, he may have lost his leg in Crete, but I aint definite on that-may have got the Eiserne Kreutz 1st Klasse for bravery there too. A REAL German, not a nazi, or communist

Belieive me Mozo, I'm not!!- the fallschirmjager, of which he was one had a first class fighting record, possibly the finest in the Wehrmacht, very hard but very fair, ncknamed the Green Devils for their fighting skills. I met a couple over the years, and they were brilliant old boys...got taught a few things by em!

I think, he may have lost his leg in Crete, but I aint definite on that-may have got the Eiserne Kreutz 1st Klasse for bravery there too. A REAL German, not a nazi, or communist

Good on ya Bucksred, I think he was a legend.

The Republic bit is Good Gobbo, but gettin rid of the queen wont get atmosphere back at the Gate, nor will it stop Dibble bein a pain in the arris.........and Cromwell was a bloody kiljoy to be honest!!.........twerent just royalists he picked on

Mozo, he was also a decorated para, one of those who dropped into Crete, and won the battle there against massive odds. Very brave men the fallschirmjager..........indeed Hamburg regiments had fine and distinguished records on all fronts in WW2, and few atrocities attributed to units from that area.

Mine would be Count Graf Von Stauffenburg, for having the guts to try and kill Hitler, while being a German patriot, and Adolf Galland fighter ace extrodinaire

And Konrad Adanauer.for giving Germany back some pride

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German pastor and priest who opposed the nazis and was implicated in the bomb plot to kill Hitler.

He was a friend of the Anglican Bishop George Bell, and tried to get some rapport between the Allies and those who opposed Hitler. Apparently Churchill wouldn't listen so the plotters had to go it alone and paid the price of failure, including Bonhoehher, who was hanged on Hilter's orders on 9th. April 1945.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German pastor and priest who opposed the nazis and was implicated in the bomb plot to kill Hitler.

He was a friend of the Anglican Bishop George Bell, and tried to get some rapport between the Allies and those who opposed Hitler. Apparently Churchill wouldn't listen so the plotters had to go it alone and paid the price of failure, including Bonhoehher, who was hanged on Hilter's orders on 9th. April 1945.

:w00t: The German descended Queen Victoria, as head of the Church of England, was known as the "famine Queen" after the terrible famine that killed hundreds of thousands in Ireland during her reign. Queen Victoria was alleged to have donated just £5 out of her vast fortune toward the Irish famine relief. This begs the question - was Queen Victoria related to Hitler in anyway? - as they did share the same mentality. :whistle:

:w00t: The German descended Queen Victoria, as head of the Church of England, was known as the "famine Queen" after the terrible famine that killed hundreds of thousands in Ireland during her reign. Queen Victoria was alleged to have donated just £5 out of her vast fortune toward the Irish famine relief. This begs the question - was Queen Victoria related to Hitler in anyway? - as they did share the same mentality. :whistle:

I'm no Stalinist, but that is a great image Gobbo.

well i wouldnt have given much to them.

in the words of a late comedien, "Ireland is an Island, which, by definition is surrounded by water. Fish live in water. So hundreds of thousands of irish died becuase they don't like fish?"

Gobbo, Adolf, was never actually a GERMAN citizen till 1933, he was AUSTRIAN, and German law did then and does now bar non Germans being leader..when his Nazis took power they changed the law to make him German.........watch out California!! you have been warned!

Ole Vicki was a miserable old cow, but fascist she was not. :laugh: Adolf was not German either.facist he was, and with one testicle too :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks dagest. The photograph in my signature is but the first in my series in celebration of the 2006 World Cup. :w00t:

That is an horrific picture.

There was no difference between Nazism and Stalinism. Both leader-infatuated death cults.

Shortly after that flag was raised, Russian soldiers went on the rampage around Berlin bringing terror to what was left of the inhabitants.

There was no difference between Nazism and Stalinism. Both leader-infatuated death cults.

Shortly after that flag was raised, Russian soldiers went on the rampage around Berlin bringing terror to what was left of the inhabitants.

And yet they saved us from Nazism. Yeah, the Nazi's were so kind to the Slavs as well.

There is a fundamental difference between Nazism and Stalinism. One ideology is based on exclusion and the other on inclusion. Whatever, its flaws (and there are many) at least Communism can be said to be aiming (in theory at least) for a future of inclusion, freedom and toleration. Whereas, Nazism was merely aimed at the elimination of all races for the benefit of the superior "Aryan" race.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as a Stalinist apologist becasue I hate Stalinism, but I do not accept it was the same as Nazism. It sounds to me like you've been reading too many ********* Alan Bullock books.

You what???!!!! No difference between Nazism and Stalinism??!!! The German NAZI Luftwaffe rained death and destruction on our very own city of Bristol from 1940 until 1944. Stalin's Red Air Force dropped not one bomb on our city or any other place in the UK. :whistle: Stalin's USSR bore the brunt of the NAZI terror regime and had the Red Army lost we were next on Hitler's menu of death and destruction. English women would have been sent to German brothels and Englishmen would have been sent to slave labour camps had we lost to the Germans.

Archived