IGNORED

Worst Offside Decision Ever

WestburyRed

Did anyone see Huddersfield's second goal from yesterday? The guy was literally 25 yards offside and flagged offside but amazingly the goal was allowed to stand (the keeper let him put it in as he thought play would be stopped). Even the Huddersfield fans were dissapointed with it as it was just so ridiculous.

I would love to find out what comes of this, if it happened in the Premiership there would be outrage.

yeah the new offside rule i dont think the linesman have decided about it yet neither in out game yesteday chris armstrong was offside then ball was played he ran back onside and then after the ball so he would have been onside but the linesman called it offside lucky for us.

and i feel really sorry for michael rickets of middelsbourgh was clearly onside yesetrday against newcastle yet the lineman flagged for offside i think it was job and junihio that where offside but rickets came from and onside position feel sorry for them though (middelsbourgh that is)

I understand the confusion over the decisions you mention but this one was unbelieveable.

The linesman flagged offside, the goalkeeper stopped, the attacker virtually stopped but just tapped it in anyway (as strikers do sometimes) and then walked away. No one could quite believe it when the ref decided to overrule the linesman and give it as the attacking player was literally 20-25 yards further up the field than the nearest defender.

the only possible reason why he might be onside is if the defender headed back
The header appeared to come from his team-mate, and in any case he was offside from the original header before that one. I realise technically he wasn't interfering with play from the first header but surely this would be covered by the new "in the spirit of the game" amendment to the new interpretation of the interfering with play ruling? Especially considering the goalkeeper and forward virtually stopped play anyway.

The law was applied correctly,the oppo didn't play to the whistle, the ref obviously saw that the ball was headed on by a defender rendering offside insignificant.

Under whatever law you want to put it under he wasn't offside. The initial header by Sodje was not to him so he was not interfering with play, under new or old ruling that is a fact. Now as soon as the defender flicked the ball on there was no way he can be called offside, Phases or not he should not have been given offside, he was not interfering with play and was walking back when sodje headed the ball, and was not breaking the rules.

The wording of the rule states that unless you are attempting to gain an advantage by being offside then you are not offside. He was walking back so was not trying to gain an advantage from Sodjes header, the fact that the defender headed it to him is of no consequence. I don't like the new clarification on the rules, but although some are attempting to portray that decision as anything to do with the new ruling are just plain wrong.

Archived