IGNORED

Positional Mystery

Chivs

Another great result though I wish the team would get that second goal to calm my nerves down for the last 88 minutes!

We were dominant throughout with Phillips not making a save. The main site says Wrexham had 4 shots on target but I can't recall any of them.

However, there was one area of concern when Wrexham had a brief period of ascendancy. This occurred after Tins went off for Freezer. Tins himself says this was tactical. We definitely had a positional change about but I couldn't figure it out and from the players response I'm not sure they knew either.

As far as I could see, we brought Aaron and Wilkshire into the middle and played Freezer at right wing back. This seemed to leave no-one playing left midfield though, in fairness, with Brown's lack of attention to defensive responsibilities, this made no difference from earlier in the game. It's possible we were shoring up centre midfield as Doherty had run himself into the ground with an awesome performance.

Freezer didn't really take to the defensive duties either. There was one occasion where a Wrexham player was completely unmarked on the edge of the area. Luckily the pass was underhit.

Does anyone know what we were trying to achieve when Freezer came on?

no, the view from the dolman was that it was:

Wilkshire - Doc - Tinman - Aaron

Tins was knackered, so when he went off, on came Burnell.. Simple swap.

Tommy had cramp and went off - he played superb, saw freezer tell Wilkshire to play in the middle - so they ended up:

Freezer - Burnell - Wilkshire - Brown, not the best midfield, thought we looked under pressure in the last 5 - specially when the 3rd official said 3 or 4 mins left!

Freezer came on for Tins. Burnell replaced Doc.

I think you're right to say Freezer took up the right midfield position and Wilkshire moved inside. However, I'm sure at the same time Brown also moved into the middle!?!

It would be great if on these occasions we could get a masterclass from Wilson to state what he was trying to achieve. In fact, wouldn't it be good if we could get a whole match with commentary by Wilson and star players explaining what they were doing? It would be like those Director's Cut option on DVDs.

Archived