IGNORED

Mtv

mozo

I was just watching MTV and was thinking: is this...

A/ cutting edge entertainment for people who are rebellious and free-spirited, or...

B/ mindless, superficial rubbish, designed to titillate insecure morons...

The show in questions was about giving 'trailor-park trash' a makeover. Part of it had the extrovert loudmouthed host showing a trailor-park boy how to live like a rich man for a day. He used phrases like 'being poor sucks'.

Has MTV culture Americanised the youth of Britain?

What do we think about MTV?

A/ cutting edge entertainment for people who are rebellious and free-spirited, or...

The show in questions was about giving 'trailor-park trash' a makeover. Part of it had the extrovert loudmouthed host showing a trailor-park boy how to live like a rich man for a day. He used phrases like 'being poor sucks'.

I don't watch it, but if it is anything like TMF I hate it.

Well this is bait for a rant if ever I sniffed any.

You won't be surprised by my stance Moz, it's just the same old popular culture attempting to make people feel insignificant and inferior if they don't own said item or prescribe to said attitude/mentality in an attempt to suck money out of them. It is also another form of social control and my user name says it all.

I'm going to be one grumpy old man I can just see it.

They had this machine on one of their programmes that was some sort of ultra violet cum finder.... Now that would be fun.

But, it is a channel for procrastinating teenagers bored with their own lives and unsure of what they want to aspire to, they watch the papp as they wait to fill their mindless shells with preconceived idealogies that might show them the way to live a richer life. All in all, I would call it the original stereotype maker, as at MTV they seem to come and go like whores on a roundabout.

They had this machine on one of their programmes that was some sort of ultra violet cum finder.... Now that would be fun.

But, it is a channel for procrastinating teenagers bored with their own lives and unsure of what they want to aspire to, they watch the papp as they wait to fill their mindless shells with preconceived idealogies that might show them the way to live a richer life. All in all, I would call it the original stereotype maker, as at MTV they seem to come and go like whores on a roundabout.

I saw a bit of that - 'jocks' get their room analysed by TV wannabe girls (and visa versa). How hard is it to wash your sheets in anicipation, and cleverly place a copy of Catcher In The Rye, Jay Z Cds and Friends videos, in order to con the strumpets??

I feel very distanced from MTV culture. Wha is it all about? Rubbish, I reckon.

Cr@p. Youre right, it does Americanise British youth. Probably because America is the biggest market for music (at the moment), and whatever the Yanks decide is in, tends to be exactly that

Cr@p. Youre right, it does Americanise British youth. Probably because America is the biggest market for music (at the moment), and whatever the Yanks decide is in, tends to be exactly that

Yeh mate, I feel uncomfortable with it. I'm a traditionalist at heart though, I like being English and listening to English music..

jimi hendrix was English? :speechless3:

Jimi Hendrix didn't make it as a musician until he moved to England, not that that matters much.

He wouldn't have appeared on TOTP or MTV - of that I'm sure.

Jimi Hendrix didn't make it as a musician until he moved to England, not that that matters much.

He wouldn't have appeared on TOTP or MTV - of that I'm sure.

I bloody well bet you he would have Mozo!

Especially in the early days.................... Jesus, is the Lulu show close enough huh?

Next you're going to tell me he did drugs.

No but, I would point out to you that 'Jimi' never got really big as a selling artist until after he died.

That's when he became massive in respect of sales.

He was a small icon before death for a certain type of person. After death he became a huge icon to many.

Strangely enough he had kind of turned his back on the hippy movement to a greater or lesser degree.

What do you mean he did drugs..................? ;)

It is always possible that if Jimi had not died then we would all be saying ..... Jimi Hendrix was great at first but went downhill and is rubbish now?

Mind you judging from some of the ideas he had going musically around at the time of his death I would guess that he was bang on in there and could have gone on to bigger and better things for a while?

A sad loss for us all, forget his guitar or bass playing (oh yes, he was a good bass player too) it is his amazing talent for song writing that I miss the most.

No but, I would point out to you that 'Jimi' never got really big as a selling artist until after he died.

That's when he became massive in respect of sales.

finally, someone agrees with me about him

i say the same about kurt cobain, yeh those two were good, but if they hadn't have died, they would not be as "big" as people make them out to be.

Archived