IGNORED

Davinci Code Again

With the immenent release of the film, lets Compare the hype surrounding The DaVinci Code to the pious handwringing about how important it was not to offend religious sensibilities that we heard all over the West at the height of Cartoon Rage. And why aren't we hearing that handwringing now? Not because of some subtle difference involved, but because the target this time is Christianity, and because the handwringers were and are smarmy hypocrites who were speaking out of fear, not conviction -- and they fear Muslims in a way that they don't fear Christians.

I predict there will a few demostrations but they will not result in riots, death and destruction.

• Admin
With the immenent release of the film, lets Compare the hype surrounding The DaVinci Code to the pious handwringing about how important it was not to offend religious sensibilities that we heard all over the West at the height of Cartoon Rage. And why aren't we hearing that handwringing now? Not because of some subtle difference involved, but because the target this time is Christianity, and because the handwringers were and are smarmy hypocrites who were speaking out of fear, not conviction -- and they fear Muslims in a way that they don't fear Christians.

I predict there will a few demostrations but they will not result in riots, death and destruction.

Like the protests outside the Hippodrome, denouncing Jerry Springer, The Opera

behead those who say islam christianity is not a peaceful religion.

:whistle:

i'm a christian, and i was watching the Simpsons the other day, and i would have needed about 50 fingers to count how many times i could have taken offence to their christianity jokes. I thought they were very funny, but so easily could have kicked up a fuss.

The episode is where Homer sues the church and air guitars with a crucifix.

Some PC bird i was watching it with said "well it aimed at you"

to which i replied "Danish cartoons aint aimed at people in Iran and Britain but they still kicked up a fuss", to which she left the room.

I don't see a problem with anyone questioning my religion, freedom of speech and all that rubbish. i'm looking forward to the film, i think tom hanks is a great actor.

The problem with the Jerry springer one was that the language was too ott for some people's liking, but didn't it say that language would be used??

the way i see it, is that is something offends you, don't go and see it.

If you're interested here are some cheesed off Christians:

BBC

In the UK, leading Catholics also demanded a "health warning" after a survey of 1,000 people suggested that reading the original book could undermine a belief in Christian traditions.

I wonder what they mean?

:dunno:

Read the the initial post again. You might even identify yourself with some of it. :doh:

Okay, I've read it again. Don't identify with it at all.

I'm neither Muslim nor Christian, but fear neither more than the other.

If little things offend many people, who are we to call them petty until we've looked at it from their perspective.

Likewise, neither the cartoons nor the idea of this movie/book offend or interest me in the slightest.

The book was my company on an otherwise dull coach journey - on a pilgrimage to Lourdes!!!!

Nice bit of fiction, not to be taken seriously. I also enjoy whodunnits, but don't go running around terrified that a similar fate will befall me. When will people put things into perspective and learn to tell the difference between truth and fiction?

Archived