IGNORED

20 Years Ago City At Wembley

cider head

sorry if already posted....

bristol city 3 bolton 0 two goals from glyn riley and one from howard pritchard

with bobby hutchingson doing what no city player has ever done

before or since or ever will again and that's lift a trophy at the old wembley.

i've had this on video for years, i see the club have just made a dvd about it.

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~830591,00.html

first and last win at the old twin towers

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I was at the wedding of the brother of my then girlfriend, was in Exeter for the occasion. Missed an historic occasion, and SHE DUMPED ME that afternoon. Got very drunk that evening to celebrate City's win at the reception, which was held at Exeter City's club, was made better by the Exeter people joining me to celebrate their old boy Steve Neville's success that day.

Wow - was it really that long ago! All seemed extra special at the time because of the trials of only a few years earlier - showed we had survived big time!

Might just be my memory playing tricks, but had we not equally just beat ironically Hereford in a pretty classic semi final, coming back from 2-0 down from the first leg - or was that the following year?

And they don't have shorts quite like that nowadays!

Wow - was it really that long ago! All seemed extra special at the time because of the trials of only a few years earlier - showed we had survived big time!

Might just be my memory playing tricks, but had we not equally just beat ironically Hereford in a pretty classic semi final, coming back from 2-0 down from the first leg - or was that the following year?

You're right about the Hereford game. 2 - 0 down from the first leg at Edgar Street, City pulled the tie back to 2 - 2, and in the last minute Steve Neville squeezed the ball into the Hereford net to send City to Wembley.

Younger City fans might refer to their memories, but to those of us over thirty the Hereford match was a night to remember. By the way, there is footage of the Hereford game on the new City DVD, available on the online shop (do I get commission for the plug?)

Guest do you like apples?

how is that in any way ironic?

bad punctuation

For me personally it was a day watching City that has never been bettered. Coventry away came close, but there was something very special about watching City walk out at Wembley and lift the trophy.

I had alot of friends that kept telling me it was only a mickey mouse cup, but there were over 40,000 of us there who would disagree.

Let hope one day we will go to the new Wembley, if they ever finish it, and win something else. :pray:

I've still got the program from that game. Those pictures and shorts brought tears to my eyes. Any program collectors want to make me an offer for a slightly battered copy. I would like to see it go to a 'city based' collection.

Yay! Good on them for putting this out, I've pre-ordered a copy. My memories of the day are, erm......flakey. It was one of the drunkest days of my whole life (and I've had some seriously drunk days!).

From what I can recall we were drinking cider from 8.30am at the station right through til about midnight, before getting the last train back to Bristol. With a brief pause to watch the game of course.

So yeah, I look forward to seeing the match again to find out what I 'missed'.

how is that in any way ironic?

bad punctuation

'ironic' only because I made my post the same day that Hereford recaptured their league status, and there were a number of threads to that end.

I can only apologise for my gramatical inexactitude.

Guest do you like apples?

'ironic' only because I made my post the same day that Hereford recaptured their league status, and there were a number of threads to that end.

but how is it ironic? hereford are back in the league and we beat them 20 years ago in a semi final of the freight rover trophy. oh how ironic.

i bet all the hereford fans went home from their playoff final thinking how ironic it was that only 20 years ago they lost to bristol city.

Don't apologise mate. :shifty:

:w00t: I just found the following post by 'do you like apples?' and it's riddled with spelling mistakes and punctuation errors :w00t: .....

"WOW, cheltenham half expect to loose a one off match against a team in the same division, finnishing in a similar league position. i bet grimsby aren't so negitive about their chances. they probably reckon they have at least a 50% chance of winning.

This post has been edited by do you like apples?: Yesterday, 8:01 PM" :whistle:

Here's the link, count up the spelling mistakes and punctuation errors to all his/her replies.....

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58617

but how is it ironic? hereford are back in the league and we beat them 20 years ago in a semi final of the freight rover trophy. oh how ironic.

i bet all the hereford fans went home from their playoff final thinking how ironic it was that only 20 years ago they lost to bristol city.

What side of the bed did you get out of this morning? I am not suggesting for one moment any Hereford fan considered it ironic.

When I made my post, there were three threads around it on this forum about Hereford winning their play off. I simply said words to the effect of ' but had we not equally just beat ironically Hereford in a pretty classic semi final, coming back from 2-0 down from the first leg'. Irony in relation to the other threads around it. I accept 'coincidentally' may have been a better choice, but in conversational English I thought it was allowable.

And it is a capital 'I' to start a sentence, I believe. :whistle:

What side of the bed did you get out of this morning? I am not suggesting for one moment any Hereford fan considered it ironic.

When I made my post, there were three threads around it on this forum about Hereford winning their play off. I simply said words to the effect of ' but had we not equally just beat ironically Hereford in a pretty classic semi final, coming back from 2-0 down from the first leg'. Irony in relation to the other threads around it. I accept 'coincidentally' may have been a better choice, but in conversational English I thought it was allowable.

And it is a capital 'I' to start a sentence, I believe. :whistle:

Don't worry, it's just Goblin still miffed that Oliver Cromwell hasn't made a comeback tour as yet.

Don't worry, it's just Goblin still miffed that Oliver Cromwell hasn't made a comeback tour as yet.

O, me and Gobbles (as is my pet name for him) are like an old married couple. We agree sometimes, we disagree sometimes, but always move on. In this case he was defending me. My remarks were actually directed at crab apples.

20 years ago tomorrow, I got married. I was trying to be clever and book it between end of season and start of World Cup in 86. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Neville got the winner in S/F. Lots of my mates went to Wembley and I couldn't blame them. Thankfully Radio Bristol was on throughout the reception but gutted when mats came back all buzzing.

My first annivrsary was spent at Wembley v Mansfield as sods law this game as played on a Sunday. Oh and yes we're still together.

Brilliant day out! Us at Wembley!!! Only the big teams and internationals were played there then I believe, as the play-offs hadn't even been thought of!

There was red and white everywhere and thousands of people. We arrived early and found there isn't much to do around wembley, unlike Cardiff. Wembley, not just the stadium, was shut! We wandered up and down wembley way and there was loads of singing.

As we thought it was a 'once in a lifetime' experience we sat in the most expensive seats. I think they cost about £18 (?) which was a fortune then. The view was OK but a bit too high up for me, I was used to standing in the Eastend. In fact it was probably the 1st match i had ever sat down at, a bit strange at first.

Unlike other posters we missed another family wedding (we tend to make a habit of this)! We were planning to get back for the evening do. unfortunately the coach broke down and we were stuck in the services for hours. This again was before the mobile phone was thought of (god I feel old!) and we couldn't let anyone know.

I got loads of photos somewhere, I must get them out and have a look. City did an open top tour around Bristol to celebrate, that was pretty good too.

Where has that 20 years gone? :dunno:

Archived