IGNORED

Jamie Mccombe

bh_red

apparently we are interested in this bloke from Lincoln?

personally never heard of him, but he is apparently a 6ft 5, centre half? perhaps that means we can't get fontaine after all?

http://www.theimp.lincolnfans.co.uk/news1266.shtml

No Fontaine? well I know a player who also turns 20 this year, same weight and height as Fontaine with imo at least the same ability.

The advantage is, we already have him...........Richard Keogh !

Just saw that too, a prized asset and one for the future, from those reviews at least he sounds like a good buy - and we can get him for a minimum cos he's on a clause. Sounds good to me anyways. Without Fontaine and with Heywood's two left knees and Keogh being unproven as far as consistency goes, he would be very good cover.

Whose that? Why is it true? don't waste my time in future please..

It seems it has some truth in it according to:

http://www.crewe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=19459

But, Crewe are discussing terms with him at the moment.

From this profile:

http://www.football.co.uk/lincoln/players/...mbe_73929.shtml

He appears to be in the mould of Matt Haywood, so do we really need him if we sign Fontaine :dunno:

He appears to be in the mould of Matt Haywood, so do we really need him if we sign Fontaine :dunno:

If we are going for him, to me it suggests that Fontaine is going to either stay at Fulham or he's out of our price range :crying:

I find it a bit strange we're willing to fork out £50k for a defender who sounds like a clone of Heywood. We don't need more than one of those.

I'd much rather the 50k was used to tempt Fulham into letting us have Fontaine.

I'd much rather the 50k was used to tempt Fulham into letting us have Fontaine.

Fulham are asking him to stay though and fair enough to the lad, he'd rather go there than stay with us, so I think that that one's out of the picture and GJ is adapting accordingly. Heywood is injury prone so gettin in younger coverage makes sense to me.

Fulham are asking him to stay though and fair enough to the lad, he'd rather go there than stay with us, so I think that that one's out of the picture and GJ is adapting accordingly. Heywood is injury prone so gettin in younger coverage makes sense to me.

I think the situation with Fulham and Fontaine is unclear, they may well be prepared to release him for a fee.

Heywood isn't injury prone, he was just unlucky last season. He made over 40 appearances a season for Swindon for the best part of four years before that.

I live in Lincoln and although I am a city supporter I have seen Lincoln play on severall occasions this season He is a quality player, will win the first header everytime. He also has a good goal scoring record for a defender. Would be a good player for us.

They also have a good young player on the left of midfield called Jeff Hughes, would also be worth a look at.

I think the situation with Fulham and Fontaine is unclear, they may well be prepared to release him for a fee.

Heywood isn't injury prone, he was just unlucky last season. He made over 40 appearances a season for Swindon for the best part of four years before that.

But while the future is unclear for Fontaine GJ is ammending his plans so that he is covered incase things don't go his way. And yes Heywood might have been unlucky for one season but who's to say that that wont happen again this season? It's a risk to assume he'll be back to normal so it makes sense in my eyes, it's not like GJ has to make an immediate decision, I think this chap is another Keogh-type who can offer cover and a lot of future potential.

He's not another Keogh type, he's a 6ft5 first ball winner from reports on a few of the other forums. If he was more like Keogh or Fontaine it would make sense me - I just don't think we need two of our four centre halves to be aerial monsters who can't turn or run at pace. One will do for the games against the likes of Brentford.

If he's 6ft5 and quick and decent on the ball then by all means sign him up now - I doubt he is though or he wouldn't be at Lincoln :)

But while the future is unclear for Fontaine GJ is ammending his plans so that he is covered in case things don't go his way. And yes Heywood might have been unlucky for one season but who's to say that that wont happen again this season? It's a risk to assume he'll be back to normal so it makes sense in my eyes, it's not like GJ has to make an immediate decision, I think this chap is another Keogh-type who can offer cover and a lot of future potential.

If he is as you say, a "Keogh type" where does that leave Keogh himself?

We already have Carey, Heywood and Keogh for centre back plus two more years of paying Partridge's wages unless someone takes him off of our hands.

Fair enough to try to add Fontaine because he looked quality, but if he's staying at Fulham I'd rather see us bring in cover at left back than a fourth (or fifth) centre half, myself.

I just don't think we need two of our four centre halves to be aerial monsters who can't turn or run at pace. One will do for the games against the likes of Brentford.

I belive that if were going to have four cb's then two need to be in the Heywood mould and two in the fontaine mould. because if you have three of one and one of the other then your forked.

I live in Lincoln and although I am a city supporter I have seen Lincoln play on severall occasions this season He is a quality player, will win the first header everytime. He also has a good goal scoring record for a defender. Would be a good player for us.

They also have a good young player on the left of midfield called Jeff Hughes, would also be worth a look at.

Would back up Lincolnreds comments, watched Mccombe play a couple of times amongst other giants in Lincoln's back four the other year, he came across as a good ball winner but lean and quicker rather than heavy built like Matty Heywood, 50k is peanuts I would have thought his value to them is 3 times that amount even in today's climate.

"Bristol City have officially joined the race to sign Lincoln captain Jamie McCombe. Following Lincoln Chairman Steff Wright's announcement yesterday that Crewe could talk to their Player-of-the-Season, Bristol City decided to cement their interest in McCombe. The Robins triggered the £5,000 clause yesterday and it is now expected that McCombe will travel to Ashton Gate to discuss terms. Bristol City will now be favourites to sign the 6'5 centre-back due to their greater financial muscle, whilst Crewe will rely on their training facilities and reputation for developing players to entice McCombe to Gresty Road. However, like Crewe, a fee of around £100,000 will have to be agreed upon once terms have been agreed, as the already-triggered £5,000 clause only allows a club to talk to the player.

Crewe are becoming increasingly familiar with players knocking them back for 'bigger teams', with McCombe's team-mate Gareth McAuley doing so in January. Madjid Bougherra recently departed Crewe for Sheffield Wednesday, whilst Crewe were also recently rejected by a centre back - either Gareth McAuley again or Port Vale's George Pilkington."

Looks like we've bid £100,000 then and the Fontaine deal is dead?

Bristol City will now be favourites to sign the 6'5 centre-back due to their greater financial muscle, whilst

Crewe are becoming increasingly familiar with players knocking them back for 'bigger teams'

I did'nt think we were a big club?

Archived