IGNORED

Nice Touch

RED4LIFE

I would like to congartulate Darren Clarke on his show of good sportsmanship this weekend at the Irish Open.

For all of you that doesnt know what happened, here's the story.

On the tee for his last shot of the day (the par 4 9th, I think), he sliced it badly into some very heavy rough. He found the ball and realised he would have to play it out sideways onto the fairway instead of going for the green as the rough was so thick, but as it was late in the day he had to stop for bad light and wait until the next day to continue (yesterday). He was near the top of the Leaderboard at the time.

He came back to his ball again yesterday, to find his bad lie had been stamped/flattened down (probably by Irish supporters of his), so he would be able to strike the ball cleanly to the front of the green instead of hitting it sideways.

He still actually hit the ball sideways and ended up with a bogey on the hole and wrecked his chances of winning the tournament.

As he commented afterwards " I could have played the ball to the front of the green as it was in the rules I could, but I couldnt have done that without walking to the green hanging my head in shame......My conscience wouldnt have let me do that"

A remarkable show of sportsmanship in a world where money seems to be the be-all and end-all.

The winner picked up a cool £250,000 too.

So he hit a little white ball out of one bit of grass into more grass and noone clapped?

And he deserves credit for it?

I tell you golf is an even more confusing game than cricket, really, why bother?

And he's also putting his wife before his career - he's a top bloke all round is our Dazza.

So he hit a little white ball out of one bit of grass into more grass and noone clapped?

And he deserves credit for it?

I tell you golf is an even more confusing game than cricket, really, why bother?

did you not actually read it?

did you not actually read it?

Well yeh, kind of, but I picked up on the golf bit, lost interest and felt a bit cheated so thought it gave just cause to post an irritating attention diverting bit of spam... No? No, you're right, he does sound like a good chap, althoough I gave upthe offer of Take That tickets last night and noone's giving me a medal :unsure:

Well yeh, kind of, but I picked up on the golf bit, lost interest and felt a bit cheated so thought it gave just cause to post an irritating attention diverting bit of spam... No? No, you're right, he does sound like a good chap, althoough I gave upthe offer of Take That tickets last night and noone's giving me a medal :unsure:

he did give up 250,000 quid in order of fair play

Archived