IGNORED

Stevie G...

mozo

I think so. Didn't even fall under the category of 'playing for a foul' where you collapse after minimal contact.

Contact was non-existent it seemed to me, which is a plain old dive.

Then Ian Wright tries to vindicate it by claiming that other nations do it. Hungary didn't! Nor should we.

What d'ya think peeps??

It was bad, hopefully Wrighty regrets his comments, it just means next time we're the victim of diving we can have no complaints. Saw Owen's in '98 again the other day - that was a shocker too. I s'pose the only defence that can be offered is 'if you can't beat them join them'.

I'm glad we missed the penalty. I've had enough of divers/diving. But I didn't have Gerrard down as one.

It's disgraceful, and I could see Gerrards was a dive today from a mile off. The defender didn't get anywhere near him!

But, I guess, it'd be a different story if a dive won the World Cup for us! :englandsmile4wf:

Unfortunately football rules have now included the proviso "If you can get away with it". Players dive, both from "our" team and "theirs". It isn't right, but sadly the days of sportsmanship and fairness have long gone, helped by the financial rewards for success.

Yeah, true.

I watched 'Heaven and Hell' on ITV last night, which was about various classic football matches from the past. Even in matches from the 70s I must have seen at least 1 dive per 5mins highlights. They usually led to penaltys, goals, etc. :@

yea gerrard made a few dives last night, it ruined a good move actually, but what was the guy thinking a 2 footed challenge in the box, i thought it was jamie smith for one sec, but jamie would have made contact, and with their chest as well probably!

It was bad, hopefully Wrighty regrets his comments, it just means next time we're the victim of diving we can have no complaints. Saw Owen's in '98 again the other day - that was a shocker too. I s'pose the only defence that can be offered is 'if you can't beat them join them'.

If we fall foul of a similar dive in the WC, you can bet your bottom dollar that Wrighty'll insist we were robbed and that diving is evil! It's good to be emotive, but you have to have standards when it comes to cheating.

Only prob with "if you can't beat 'em..." theory is that 1/ we can beat Hungary, and 2/ they didn't dive, so why should we??

You're right, WTF, we've got no complaints about foreigners diving if we carry on like that, and if we see more of this we'll no longer hold our heads high knowing that we play football the way it should be played. Sad really. Hope we don't see diving from the mighty City boys!

Jurgen the German, now he could dive! :dance:

i think he dived, but he might have been getting away from the "studs up" challange incase of injury :dunno:

I didn't know you used this forum Wrighty?? :w00t:

Surely this only confirms what I've said all along, that Ian Wright is not a football pundit, but a nationalistic, incoherent moron, and should be sacked forthwith.

And those saying they had never regarded Gerrard as a diver obviously didn't see last years Champions League final.

Its part of the game!!

Like any top sport its the result that matters

even if you have to "bend" the rules to win.

What exactly is the equivalent of diving in other sports?

Diving's not even 'good cheating' it's just plain embarassing, childish, cynical and shameless.

Faceclutching and bellyflopping should result in a red card.

What exactly is the equivalent of diving in other sports?

Diving's not even 'good cheating' it's just plain embarassing, childish, cynical and shameless.

Faceclutching and bellyflopping should result in a red card.

Persistent appealing in cricket, punching in the scrum in rugby, those for starters.

Persistent appealing in cricket, punching in the scrum in rugby, those for starters.

As a man of God Revkev surely you of all people can see how it is a case of Satan trying to ruin the beautiful game!

Persistant appealing in cricket is more akin to asking the ref to show a card, hardly the same as diving.

Punching in rugby is like a low-blow in boxing - an illegal physical attack, equal to elbowing/stamping/raking in football.

People use gamesmanship and roughhouse tactics in all sports, but diving is just being a big girl and a cynical cheat, something peculiar to footy.

yes, its cheating, but if Owen goes down like a sniper's victim in the 90th minute of the WC final, and Becks converts the penalty for a 1-0 win, who here would rather we give the trophy back?

Me. :disapointed2se:

Buuuuuuuttttttttt......if it was Cotts to get City promoted... :whistle:

Yep... No contact was made but I agree with one of the posts above in regards to studs being shown... The Hungarian was going in two-footed.

At this point I'd rather he dived and got a penalty or got booked than allowed the defender to injure one of our key players.

I hope we don't resort to cheating at the WC though.

Yes it was a dive, SO WHAT , there's going to be an awful lot of divers over the next few weeks, and the best divers will most likly end up WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

What a WONDERFUL sport it can be. CHEATS prosper, fairplay falters. Good metaphor for life innit really.

Yes it was a dive, SO WHAT , there's going to be an awful lot of divers over the next few weeks, and the best divers will most likly end up WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Fair enough but don't ever come on here bellyaching like a little kid WHEN City get hoodwinked some time in the future by a cheat from another club. Because your opinion on cheating is clear - you accept it and condone it - even more so if your team profits and gets the desired result.

The way that people are beginning to accept cheating in this country shows how money has ruined a fantastic game which is slowly disappearing down the pan, particularly at the highest level. The day that the sort of blatant cheating we are seeing in top games, week in-week out, becomes a commonplace weekly ocurrence at City games is the day I stop going to football - simple as.

Archived