IGNORED

If A Hole Was Dug...

Lordofthebling

Gawd, don't twist my melon like that.

I dunno, but when you do, get some photos of the earth's core - sounds immense (a real hot-spot :w00t::ph34r: ). Apparently there's a solid inner core of pure iron the size of the Moon, and an outer liquid core rich in iron the size of Mars. Mental innit - S****horpe must be down there.

Well you could look at it two ways,

1. You'd melt when you got to the molten bit in the middle and not make it.

2. You'd have built up so much speed that by the time you fell out in Australia that you'd ending catapulting off into space.

...........or would you, because of the earths rotation, maybe by the time you made it through Australia would be on the "up" side by then and youd just get splatted by your own weight.

God I could be here all day, my geography and science teachers would be so proud.

I suppose the gravitational pull of the moon and all that other scientific gubbins would come into play.

I've worked out the following mathematical fomula which should help work this out:

10/3+41288558 - 3 + 2 100$ 2006[-12}-1 =

And there's your answer.

It was quite easy after a little bit of thought.

I suppose the gravitational pull of the moon and all that other scientific gubbins would come into play.

I've worked out the following mathematical fomula which should help work this out:

Yes, but it's been scientifically proven that that formula goes out of the window if he had a heavy breakfast.

I don't think you'd stop completely at the middle. Assuming you could pass straight through the middle, you would build up enough speed to overcome the gravitational pull briefly, and would probably slingshot onto the "other side" of the tunnel. Eventually the gravitational pull would bring you back in and throw you back and forth until you came to rest in the centre.

I don't think you'd stop completely at the middle. Assuming you could pass straight through the middle, you would build up enough speed to overcome the gravitational pull briefly, and would probably slingshot onto the "other side" of the tunnel. Eventually the gravitational pull would bring you back in and throw you back and forth until you came to rest in the centre.

Would I not build up enough speed to shoot out in Sydney and fly off into space - thus rendering the gravitational force of earth useless?

Guest DrFaustus

... through the earth, from London to Sydney, and I jumped in it from London - at what point would I stop falling?

At the M25....there's always hold ups.

Would I not build up enough speed to shoot out in Sydney and fly off into space - thus rendering the gravitational force of earth useless?

No, because once you'd gone past the central point, gravity would be acting in the opposite direction and would begin to slow you down.

Try to think of it like a bungee rope tethered to the central point of the world - you start in London with the rope at full stretch and it loosens as you go. You will continue to fall once you reach the pivot but once the rope is fully stretched again you'll start to fall back...

Presumably, you would eventually settle somewhere in the middle (after all this back and forth), but would you be pulled in half at any point if the gravitational pull at each end became relatively equal? Perhaps it would feel like you were on the rack?

Presumably, you would eventually settle somewhere in the middle (after all this back and forth), but would you be pulled in half at any point if the gravitational pull at each end became relatively equal? Perhaps it would feel like you were on the rack?

The gravitational pull acts from the centre, so it would only ever be acting on you from one direction.

Try to think of it like a bungee rope tethered to the central point of the world - you start in London with the rope at full stretch and it loosens as you go. You will continue to fall once you reach the pivot but once the rope is fully stretched again you'll start to fall back...

Gazareth, you are the fountain of knowledge and I love you, but - is the gravatational pull equal either side, thus meaning I would settle in the middle?

Gah it's all way more complicated than I thought due to centrifugal forces caused by the rotation of the earth and such ;)

Don't dig the hole, if you wanna go to Sydney hop on a plane instead :D

Gazareth, you are the fountain of knowledge and I love you, but - is the gravatational pull equal either side, thus meaning I would settle in the middle?

As far as I can tell, the pull varies depending on where you are on the earth. Acceleration due to gravity at sea level on the Earth's surface is 9.80665 m/s² (metres per second per second). This value increases are you get closer to the centre of the earth.

More on acceleration due to gravity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_pull

Guest do you like apples?

And there's your answer.

It was quite easy after a little bit of thought.

shut up

as for this thread, it is the most pointless thread ever as it just isnt going to happen

i've got one for you though; who do you think would win out of spiderman and osama binladen?

as for this thread, it is the most pointless thread ever as it just isnt going to happen

i've got one for you though; who do you think would win out of spiderman and osama binladen?

You're right, that's a far more likely scenario.

• Admin
Well you could look at it two ways,

1. You'd melt when you got to the molten bit in the middle and not make it.

2. You'd have built up so much speed that by the time you fell out in Australia that you'd ending catapulting off into space.

...........or would you, because of the earths rotation, maybe by the time you made it through Australia would be on the "up" side by then and youd just get splatted by your own weight.

God I could be here all day, my geography and science teachers would be so proud.

Your science teacher forgot to teach you about terminal velocity.

shut up

So that would make your reply the most pointless reply in the most pointless thread? :thumbsup:

Your science teacher forgot to teach you about terminal velocity.

Terminal velocity in one sentence? :shifty:

Absolutely right cos if you dug that hole you would actually come out nearer to Oodnadatta

And this isn't pointess?

Archived