IGNORED

Best Album

red army

i think its gone down hill because theres too much s@%t like shaun paul and blazing squad, and pointless boyband like westlife, there should be more good bands around like oasis and sex pistols and beatles, real music. not some ###### thinking hes hard talking about guns.

Don't laugh but i recently bought Dido's new album and was very surprised at how good it really is, sitting proudly in the car multichanger it is an absolute gem to listen to, to wind down after work. Also recently bought best of rem, pretty decent but thats what to be expected from a best of.

Favourite 5 at the minute (I have a 5 way CD changer)

Ministry of Sound-The Annual 2004

The Darkness-Permission to land

Basement Jaxx-Kish Kash

No Doubt-The Singles 1992-2003

Also like listening to Daft Punk-Discovery, never get tired of it.

Oh yeah, forgot about No Doubt. Had that one since it came out, pretty good album :D

i think its gone down hill because theres too much s@%t like shaun paul and blazing squad, and pointless boyband like westlife, there should be more good bands around like oasis and sex pistols and beatles, real music. not some ###### thinking hes hard talking about guns.

Totally Agree with you Red Army.

The best album i have ever bought would be: dashboard confessional - the places you have come to fear the most. (a masterpiece)

Best album at the mo thou... Brand New - Deja Entendu.

havin a laugh aint you?? Sean Paul is quality, Dancehall music is wicked.

Beatles Oasis etc - all need hair cuts and their music is #### like westlife and blazin squad!

RnB/Hip Hop - now thats music!

umm i'm going to have to disagree there, Sean Paul is absolutely rubbish, does he actually have the ability to come up with any beats of his own ? I have had the misfortune to hear too many of his songs and out of about 8, 3 beats were all nicked, one From Dre, on from Snoop, and one from Beany man. Add to that is "rapping" is woeful.

Most comercial R+B and commercial hip hop is absolute bollox, get some Uk/Underground US hip hop with some smooth beats and that is where the good hip hop is found.

As for music in General, i would say it is worse now than it has ever been, i can think of very, very few new bands that have been any good and appeared since the death of Nirvana in 95 or whatever. Luckily there are still descent bands out there producing music,

Tool

Nine Inch Nails

A Perfect Circle

Audioslave

Chris Cornels solo stuff

So at least the most tallented people on the planet are still around producing music, but most of it will never be heard by most.

EDIT - Just thought i'd take issue with the sex pistols being grouped as a good band, they are quite listenable to, but musically they are poor.

Guest Harry May

The Clash - London Calling.

The benchmark which all music should be judged by.

SLF - Inflammable material , also worthy of classic stautus , as is most of the early stuff by The Ramones such as Rocket to Russia.

Newer stuff ? Not alot around really . Rancid are OK , Agnostic Front have recorded some good stuff , as have The Distillers.

If any of the younger forum members can recommend some decent music , I would be more than willing to give it a listen.

Caldicot Red.

If any of the younger forum members can recommend some decent music , I would be more than willing to give it a listen.

Caldicot Red.

I don't pretend to know that much about music and I hate jitter music and all the cr@p featured in Kerrang.

For me The Strokes are just fantastic with Room on Fire exceeding Is This It, which is some achievement.

Listened to The Vines first album which is class and have heard good things about their new one Winning Days.

Franz Ferdinand are definetly worth a listen too.

Caldicot Red.

Dpeneds entirely what you like. There is nothing like the clash around anymore. Or at least not that i have heard.

Bands i would recomend, that are still around today

nine Inch Nails

Tool - Probably one of the most tallented band ever to have existed.

A Perfect Circle

Thats about it really, new music is in general very naff, i have not seen a completely new band appear for years, there are supergroups like A perfect Circle, but they are made up of existing people from other bands.

If you like odd electronic music, very chilled, i would highly recomend, Aphex Twin - selected ambient works vol 2.

Dpeneds entirely what you like.  There is nothing like the clash around anymore. Or at least not that i have heard.

Bands i would recomend, that are still around today

nine Inch Nails

Tool - Probably one of the most tallented band ever to have existed.

A Perfect Circle

Pardon my ignorance but are those bands you mention all jitter style music?

I've never even heard of Tool or a Perfect Circle.

Aphex Twin are ok but calling their music "odd" is a bit of an understatement.

Depends what you define as Jitter music, if you define good Charlotte as jitter music then god no.

Tool are well, just tool, seriously odd people, all very, very into the occult and stuff like that.

A perfect circle are prpbably the personification of the term superband, their members are taken from two of the best band to immerge in the last decade, Tool and the Smashing Pumpkins, and one of the biggest bands on the planet in Marilyn Manson.

Apnex twins music is not all odd, some of it is just plain scary, like come to daddy, to normal eclatic drum and bass, to just outright seriously chilled out music, like the stuff on selected ambient works.

Courtney Loves new one, and Auf Der Maur's new one. There is far too much god Awful dance music, Cut your wrists "serious" Rock music and Pop Idols type ######.

There should be more proper punk, and metal around

Courtney Loves new one, and Auf Der Maur's new one. There is far too much god Awful dance music, Cut your wrists "serious" Rock music and Pop Idols type ######.

There should be more proper punk, and metal around

Caldicot Red:

Try the Darkness, the new Donnas one, Lostprophets, Kings of Leon, White Stripes, and that should find one or two ya like

personally Maidens new un, Evanescence, and tom pettys latest are doing a trip.

Also if ya like Alice in Chains, try Degradation Trip, Jerry Cantrells new-ish one, its a belter.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

The Jam Greatest hits never seem to be far from my CD player, or any Robbie Williams album.

But in there right now is - Oasis live at Wembley

The Jam Greatest hits never seem to be far from my CD player

Good for you mate, but get the albums if you haven't already as most of their best stuff was album tracks not singles IMHO.

Caldicot Red: Get The Libertines debut album 'Up The Bracket'. Produced by Mick Jones of the Clash, these boys add a hint of punk-rock-humour and imagination to some great tunes.

Also check out 'Get Born' by Melbourne band Jet, raw blues rock with shades of early Stones, AC/DC, Iggy Pop.

And ploughing a similar furrow are the Kings of Leon with 'Youth and Young Manhood'.

Also check out 'Get Born' by Melbourne band Jet, raw blues rock with shades of early Stones, AC/DC, Iggy Pop.

And ploughing a similar furrow are the Kings of Leon with 'Youth and Young Manhood'.

Yep, I'll go along with them too, and also if you can find it Pain, by a reformed Rose Tattoo, older, definitly no wiser, and bloody cynical too. :dunno:

out of the older bands ive got the clash (greatest hits), ramones (Best Of The Chrysalis Years), the undertones (the undertones), all of which kick ass. but i strongly reccomend BRAND NEW both albums (your favourite weapon) and (deja entendu) are really worth a listen i quite like some of FEEDER'S older stuff.

i'm guessing none of you have ever really listened to THE SMITHS. maybe not everyones style but they are the only band that can challenge the beatles for the title of 'best band ever'.

therefore

THE QUEEN IS DEAD is the greatest ever album, shortly followed by

MEAT IS MURDER or HATFUL OF HOLLOW

or STRANGEWAYS...

best new album

Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (not that new but i only just got it)

The Jam Greatest hits never seem to be far from my CD player, or any Robbie Williams album. 

But in there right now is - Oasis live at Wembley

I'm surprised - at your age mate :dunno: , 2 tell the truth I aint bought an album for years but I do have 20 GB of tunes on the PC. :blush:

i'm guessing none of you have ever really listened to THE SMITHS. maybe not everyones style but they are the only band that can challenge the beatles for the title of 'best band ever'.

therefore

THE QUEEN IS DEAD is the greatest ever album, shortly followed by

MEAT IS MURDER or HATFUL OF HOLLOW

or STRANGEWAYS...

best new album

Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (not that new but i only just got it)

Ah forgot about the very good Smiths, their very best of album is never far away. Damn good album too.

The Clash - London Calling.

The benchmark which all music should be judged by.

Caldicot Red.

Agree with you, that is one of the best albums ever made but my fave ever is Dexys "Searching For The Young Soul Rebels"

I don't qualify as a younger member member of the forum but since we're agreed on the Clash from days gone by, if you haven't already discovered 'em you may like Feeder, Jet, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, Franz Ferdinand, Kings Of Leon, (going back a bit) Rocket From The Crypt.

I don't agree with the bloke who said music has gone downhill. Completely independent of what genre you like, there is loads of great pop, rock, punk, urban, R&B, dance, reggaem alt.country (The Broken Family Band - my fave band in the country at the moment). Get on the net, look up bands on websites (nme.com and drownedinsound.com are good starting points), play the songs and if you like 'em, buy 'em.

Archived