IGNORED

New Ground To Visit Next Season

Dannycidered03

Just been checking Doncaster Rovers website and found some pic's of there new stadium which should be open by December.

Hopefully with the fixtures out in 2 weeks we may be able to visit there new ground if we can pull out a fixture after december.

I'm not sure if anyone as already seen these pic's but i'll leave the link below

Docaster's new stadium

Looking at the pictures of it, it doesnt really look as though it will hold that many. I should think for this level though it will serve their requirements, as they never really sold out much last season, but if they were to go up then maybe to small. I think that it will look quite nice once it has finnished.

But its yet another smaller club in terms of finances and support that have had the backing of their local council and been able to build a new stadium, shame that Bristol City Council is not like most of the others that have recently allowed new stadiums to be built.

Looking at the pictures of it, it doesnt really look as though it will hold that many. I should think for this level though it will serve their requirements, as they never really sold out much last season, but if they were to go up then maybe to small. I think that it will look quite nice once it has finnished.

But its yet another smaller club in terms of finances and support that have had the backing of their local council and been able to build a new stadium, shame that Bristol City Council is not like most of the others that have recently allowed new stadiums to be built.

well ... looks like it will be yet another soul-less cookie-cutter stadium. I'd rather we stayed at Ashton and kept the history. Also ... support from the council ... at what cost?

well ... looks like it will be yet another soul-less cookie-cutter stadium. I'd rather we stayed at Ashton and kept the history. Also ... support from the council ... at what cost?

Totally agree there, all these new grounds got no character they are all the same cack. Soon it will be been to one ground been to em all, one of the reason used to like going away was to check out the different grounds and check out the atmosphere. Now going to reading is like going to leicester same old same old

I'd rather we stayed at Ashton and kept the history. Also ... support from the council ... at what cost?

I know what your saying about staying at Ashton Gate and i would aswell, but the council could be more helpful when looking at redevloping. When the board had the plans for the east end it took ages for the council to grant permision to allow it to go ahead.

Yes it will be 15,000. This taken from Football Ground Guide:

After some delay work has begun in clearing the site, on which a new 15,000 capacity stadium will be built. The stadium which is being funded by Doncaster Council, will be the new home of Doncaster Rovers Football Club, Doncaster Dragons Rugby League Club and Doncaster Belles Ladies Football Club. The site is adjacent to a lake, at the back of what has recently been re-named Lakeside Village (the old Yorkshire Outlet shopping centre), which is about a mile and half South from the present Belle Vue ground. It is hoped that the stadium will open in October 2006.

Bet we'll play em in August!

Guest Eamer

Everyone is saying they would rather stay at Ashton but if we were offered the chance at a brand new stadium we all know we'd take it.

Just been checking Doncaster Rovers website and found some pic's of there new stadium which should be open by December.

Hopefully with the fixtures out in 2 weeks we may be able to visit there new ground if we can pull out a fixture after december.

I'm not sure if anyone as already seen these pic's but i'll leave the link below

Docaster's new stadium

Makes me bloody sick with envy really :(

Can you honestly say that you prefer the "character" of places like Plymouth's ground before it was developed (having a pee in a bog with no roof while it's chucking it down), Colchester (only two people can have a pee at any one time), Chesterfield (splinters in your arse from the wooden benches), Brighton (frightened that the temporary seating may collapse at any time), the old Oxford ground (everything about it) or even the Mammary Ground (crammed in the corner getting soaked in a cloudburst)?

Maybe it's that I'm getting old, but even if modern grounds do look similar, I think I prefer hings a bit more civilised.

As a Donny fan, i'd be half tempted to agree with what some of you say, as Belle Vue (or Hell Vue as some call it), is a ground with tremendous character, and really moving from there will be a sad sad day, as it is a place stooped with history, and the new stadium does in a way, look like many others.

However, as we move onto pastures new it will be a time for us to develop as a whole club, and I'm sure that Rovers will see the benefits. I hope we do manage to fill it every week, but what worries me is if we stay in this division (which really with our ambition and summer signings shouldn't happen), then after the novelty factor of the new stadium has worn off, will our attendances improve, or will we stay as another Darlington style team playing in an empty stadium, but on a lesser scale.

At least, there's still the trip to Ashton Gate to look forward to next season. Bloody wonderful it is down at your ground, especially as it's the only ground I can think of where you can lie down in the away end and watch the game.

By the way, are you ever redeveloping the away (Wedlock?) stand?

(which really with our ambition and summer signings shouldn't happen)

You've certainly made some ambitious signings but I think you're being a little over confident here. You were mediocre this season (as were we at best), next season this division will be much much harder, and 5 or 6 new signings in the first XI does not make for a team likely to start well. To be honest I'd put 4 or 5 teams ahead of you in the promotion stakes next season.

As for the rest, I'd gladly trade Ashton Gate in for a new stadium provided it was in South Bristol, had decent transport, and had sound financial planning behind it. Ashton Gate, wonderful though it is to have a home with so much history, is a large part of what holds us back.

I know what you mean about starting the season badly. Last year, we spent big in the summer, and then had an awful start to the season, and when we did get going, that Carling Cup defeat by Arsenal knocked the stuffing out of us, and by the time we found our feet again, it was too little, too late.

Next season, I'd gladly take being in the top eight or nine teams at the end of October, and then gradually as the season progresses, kick on from wherre we are, to hopefully, gaining promotion in May, or at least getting a play-off place.

If you did get a new stadium, then please get in in South Bristol. I've been to Northern Bristol, and it's horrible.

Which 4 or 5 would they be then (yourselves,forest,Hudds ,Swansea by any chance ).

Most Rovers fans are quietly confident that we are improving season upon season (in more ways than one) and if we can improve on 8th in what most of us would agree was a dissapointing league this year (we were crap more often than not ,and still finished 8th/ and this coupled with off field problems).Yourselves are a good example though that money and good signings alone do not guarantee anything,so although we are optimistic we still have to be realistic.I expect us to improve on last year,by how much remains to be seen as I expect a real scrap for the top 6 places.

I just hope we get an opening day game a little closer than Bristol this season.Good luck this coming season, yourselves another team who I should think are also optimistic (and rightly so). ATB

You've certainly made some ambitious signings but I think you're being a little over confident here. You were mediocre this season (as were we at best), next season this division will be much much harder, and 5 or 6 new signings in the first XI does not make for a team likely to start well. To be honest I'd put 4 or 5 teams ahead of you in the promotion stakes next season.

As for the rest, I'd gladly trade Ashton Gate in for a new stadium provided it was in South Bristol, had decent transport, and had sound financial planning behind it. Ashton Gate, wonderful though it is to have a home with so much history, is a large part of what holds us back.

Which 4 or 5 would they be then (yourselves,forest,Hudds ,Swansea by any chance ).

Most Rovers fans are quietly confident that we are improving season upon season (in more ways than one) and if we can improve on 8th in what most of us would agree was a dissapointing league this year (we were crap more often than not ,and still finished 8th/ and this coupled with off field problems).Yourselves are a good example though that money and good signings alone do not guarantee anything,so although we are optimistic we still have to be realistic.I expect us to improve on last year,by how much remains to be seen as I expect a real scrap for the top 6 places.

I just hope we get an opening day game a little closer than Bristol this season.Good luck this coming season, yourselves another team who I should think are also optimistic (and rightly so). ATB

I'd say Forest, Millwall, Crewe and Huddersfield all have decent chances. I don't reckon Swansea will do much, their bubble has burst and their poor attitude will cause them to suffer a massive playoff final hangover. Trust me we know about those :) I also reckon Scunny are worth an outside bet if they hold onto Sharp and Keogh and make a couple of signings.

Us and yourselves both have much to prove with some fairly big changes in the close season. We had an excellent second half of the season but we were playing under no pressure because we couldn't achieve anything. Your lot will have to gel quickly and be more resilient, but I wish you luck (as long as you're one place behind us of course).

I'm a little optimistic but unless we fill a couple of big holes in our squad I think playoffs is the most we can do. One thing that will be different next season I think is that the bottom 8 will fall away much more quickly and less teams will be involved in the relegation scrap.

I'm not too sure about the teams dropping down to be honest,although the general consensus from general league 1 forums is that Crewe should do the best of the bunch..we shall have to wait and see.I do agree with your point about the bottom of the table dropping away,I really think that Rotherham with their -10 (and the fact they are crap anyway) along with Cheltenham (who just don't have the class of player to compete over the season) and a few others will struggle (yeovil perhaps).

I will be very suprised if Forest don't finish in the top 3 and I think Brentford will be the team who will have the curse of playoff failure with both Hudds & Swans being at the right end of the table. Carlisle will do the best of the promoted teams,but not finishing higher than 10th.

The bookies got it very wrong last season..I'm not so sure this time around.Then again what do I know,I always get these prediction thingy's wrong :whistle: .

Once again All the best.

I'd say Forest, Millwall, Crewe and Huddersfield all have decent chances. I don't reckon Swansea will do much, their bubble has burst and their poor attitude will cause them to suffer a massive playoff final hangover. Trust me we know about those :) I also reckon Scunny are worth an outside bet if they hold onto Sharp and Keogh and make a couple of signings.

Us and yourselves both have much to prove with some fairly big changes in the close season. We had an excellent second half of the season but we were playing under no pressure because we couldn't achieve anything. Your lot will have to gel quickly and be more resilient, but I wish you luck (as long as you're one place behind us of course).

I'm a little optimistic but unless we fill a couple of big holes in our squad I think playoffs is the most we can do. One thing that will be different next season I think is that the bottom 8 will fall away much more quickly and less teams will be involved in the relegation scrap.

I put you as my outside bet for the league last season, and don`t think you will be too far away from top 4 or 5 this. I also think Blackpool, Crewe, Carlisle, Hudders, Forest will all be close. Got this funny feeling about Tranmere as an outside bet as well.

I must admit though, that although you`re Yorkshire, I wouldn`t mind if you were to go up 2nd (behind us of course ;) ) because of your away support for a smaller club in this division (with respect) your away support is outstanding. Hope we get to make some noise in your new stadium at Christmas time,

Good Luck

Cheers mate.

I put you as my outside bet for the league last season, and don`t think you will be too far away from top 4 or 5 this. I also think Blackpool, Crewe, Carlisle, Hudders, Forest will all be close. Got this funny feeling about Tranmere as an outside bet as well.

I must admit though, that although you`re Yorkshire, I wouldn`t mind if you were to go up 2nd (behind us of course ;) ) because of your away support for a smaller club in this division (with respect) your away support is outstanding. Hope we get to make some noise in your new stadium at Christmas time,

Good Luck

Archived