IGNORED

Sorry Chaps.................

Ian M

• Admin

I hate to piss on the bonfires of the eternally pessimistic sorts on here but.....ok, I don't really hate it but that's beside the point.....

The following is the form table for the last 26 games last season (the point where GJ believes the players bought into his footballing philosophy):

Bristol City ..... 26 49 +22

Southend ....... 26 48 +19

Colchester ...... 26 46 +11

Doncaster ....... 26 42 +2

Brentford ....... 26 40 +11

Nottm Forest .. 26 39 +12

During this spell, Bas Savage & Mark McCammon scored 5 goals in 33 appearances between the pair of them.

As unimpressed as anyone can be with the signings of Jevons & Showunmi (rightly or wrongly), can anyone honestly & seriously step forward and make a case for them producing a lower goal return than that between them?

Picking up points at that rate would equate to 87 points which would nearly always be enough for automatic promotion ignoring the chance of picking up points at a greater rate due to improving on last season's strike force.

I hate to piss on the bonfires of the eternally pessimistic sorts on here but.....ok, I don't really hate it but that's beside the point.....

The following is the form table for the last 26 games last season (the point where GJ believes the players bought into his footballing philosophy):

Bristol City ..... 26 49 +22

Southend ....... 26 48 +19

Colchester ...... 26 46 +11

Doncaster ....... 26 42 +2

Brentford ....... 26 40 +11

Nottm Forest .. 26 39 +12

During this spell, Bas Savage & Mark McCammon scored 5 goals in 33 appearances between the pair of them.

As unimpressed as anyone can be with the signings of Jevons & Showunmi (rightly or wrongly), can anyone honestly & seriously step forward and make a case for them producing a lower goal return than that between them?

Picking up points at that rate would equate to 87 points which would nearly always be enough for automatic promotion ignoring the chance of picking up points at a greater rate due to improving on last season's strike force.

I am really sorry here but you can use statistics to prove just about anything.

It is just a case of picking the games / time frame you think favours your argument and presenting those statistics as facts ( which of course they are ) to support your point of view.

Statistics say GJ presided over our worst losing streak in years.

Statistics say he brought in two strikers who didn't ( strike that is ).

Statistics say that in all games against the sides who finished in the top six we got 13 points from 36.

Statistics say we had no one anywhere near the top ten scorers list.

Statistics say we had one of the worst defensive records overall in the football league.

I am not saying you are not right, you may well be but ifs and buts and picking a run of games and making assumptions which are as yet untested is the Ashton Gate sickness.

I reserve the right to postpone judgement till Christmas.

That is not pessimism it is realism.

Almost no one on this board ever considers or mentions how other squads are being stengthened.

I know nothing about Enoch but if a list of all strikers signed by all clubs in our division in the close season is produced end summer, where would an independant judge rank him.

I don't have a clue but neither do all the other posters who say he is great / rubbish so what can we really know about how he will perform ?

Same for other signings for all clubs.

Great fun this board but wait and see is the realistic view !!

• Admin

I am really sorry here but you can use statistics to prove just about anything.

It is just a case of picking the games / time frame you think favours your argument and presenting those statistics as facts ( which of course they are ) to support your point of view.

Statistics say GJ presided over our worst losing streak in years.

Statistics say he brought in two strikers who didn't ( strike that is ).

Statistics say that in all games against the sides who finished in the top six we got 13 points from 36.

Statistics say we had no one anywhere near the top ten scorers list.

Statistics say we had one of the worst defensive records overall in the football league.

I am not saying you are not right, you may well be but ifs and buts and picking a run of games and making assumptions which are as yet untested is the Ashton Gate sickness.

I reserve the right to postpone judgement till Christmas.

That is not pessimism it is realism.

Almost no one on this board ever considers or mentions how other squads are being stengthened.

I know nothing about Enoch but if a list of all strikers signed by all clubs in our division in the close season is produced end summer, where would an independant judge rank him.

I don't have a clue but neither do all the other posters who say he is great / rubbish so what can we really know about how he will perform ?

Same for other signings for all clubs.

Great fun this board but wait and see is the realistic view !!

Rod,

I accept your point completely that none of us can prove we are going to have a good season next year but I posted this in an attempt to provide balance to the posts by those who seem convinced we won't have a good season.

If I can't prove things one way it is only fair to accept that others can't prove it the other.

My point is that there is (at least) equal ground for optimism (going on the most recent history as evidence) as there is cause for pessimism.

Incidentally, Brooker was League One's 8th top scorer and of the 72 (football) league clubs, we would be placed 45th in a table of goals conceded. Who was the 2nd striker that "didn't strike" as MM's strike record whilst here wasn't actually that shabby?

Rod,

I accept your point completely that none of us can prove we are going to have a good season next year but I posted this in an attempt to provide balance to the posts by those who seem convinced we won't have a good season.

If I can't prove things one way it is only fair to accept that others can't prove it the other.

My point is that there is (at least) equal ground for optimism (going on the most recent history as evidence) as there is cause for pessimism.

Incidentally, Brooker was League One's 8th top scorer and of the 72 (football) league clubs, we would be placed 45th in a table of goals conceded. Who was the 2nd striker that "didn't strike" as MM's strike record whilst here wasn't actually that shabby?

No problem - take your points on board completely.

Contrary to common MB posters I am not an eternal pessimist, I just have been alive too long.

Last season start me and my son ( he is only 36 ) bought our ST in a mood of great optimism and within 10 games we were already way adrift of the pace and in fairness to BT we had thought his signings looked great.

So I am more cautious this time round although we have both renewed our ST anyway - which is what really counts I guess !!

IPB Image

Rod

Age and bitter experience is really no excuse for such pessimism. I too am now of advancing years and have had more than my fair share of miserable times watching BCFC (and also a load of absolutely bloody fantastic times) but if I allowed myself to be as permanently depressed as you appear to be in all of your posts then I would seriously question whether I should continue to support the club.

Like Eeyore, you have your own little raincloud following you around and you seem to want to dampen the optimism of the majority. After the season of trauma which we've just experienced, understandably people are responding to the feel-good factor which is belatedly beginning to permeate the club - due largely , I believe to the efforts of GJ in whom you display such doubt. Please allow us to enjoy our rays of hope whie we can.

Our six-fingered cousins from across town are enduring the mother and father of a storm just now. Perhaps your little rain cloud would better placed there?

Rudi

I am with Rod12 on this. Obviously I hope we do well, but look beneath the hype, and there are good reasons to be cautious-

The quality of opposition - Swansea, Forest, Brighton, Millwall are the obvious ones, Gillingham, Doncaster, Carlisle and Blackpool are the ones who have made some interesting signings.

A lack of depth up front, and two of our 3 strikers are unknown in that we have not seen them play for City.

Not much cover on the flanks

An erratic keeper (Probably only until Weale is fit)

I know I am taking the half-empty approach, but far better than being disappointed if we are let down (Yet again)

IPB Image

Our six-fingered cousins from across town are enduring the mother and father of a storm just now. Perhaps your little rain cloud would better placed there?

Rudi

Good shout from Rudi, our blue quartered cousins, currently at their Whorefield squat, are enduring a worse storm than any ever seen at Ashton Gate. :whistle:

I am with Rod12 on this. Obviously I hope we do well, but look beneath the hype, and there are good reasons to be cautious-

The quality of opposition - Swansea, Forest, Brighton, Millwall are the obvious ones, Gillingham, Doncaster, Carlisle and Blackpool are the ones who have made some interesting signings.

The only reason this league is going to be stronger next season is because we are going to be shit hot. :D

Forget Swansea (they're rebuilding), Brighton (team full of youth), Forest (new manager), Millwall (when was the last time a team that got relegated from the Champ went straight back up) and all those other minnows you mentioned.

We have got absolutely NOTHING to fear from them. This league continues to spring suprises, therefore I can see teams like Northampton and Bradford going well - but then, who knows!

IMO we going into next season the best prepared we will have been for quite some time. Of course we should be slightly cautious but all I can say is that I'm confident, very confident. And I have by no means been an eternal optimist in recent times. See Tinnions reign.

Good shout from Rudi, our blue quartered cousins, currently at their Whorefield squat, are enduring a worse storm than any ever seen at Ashton Gate. :whistle:

I too am thoroughly enjoying the events taking place in the wrong half of the city - but surely they're not as bad as we endured in 1982?

I too am thoroughly enjoying the events taking place in the wrong half of the city - but surely they're not as bad as we endured in 1982?

In 1982 BCFC still had fresh experience of top level football having been a top flight club just 2 years before. Although BCFC was in a financial mire and a Div 4 club there were very competent people at all levels, from ex players to business managers, waiting for their chance to rescue BCFC. The situation at the Gas is thus far more dire in 2006 than for BCFC in 1982 for this reason - who exactly is there to rescue the Gas from Geoff Dunford's dictatorship?

Archived