IGNORED

Mopsy, Flopsy, Cotton Tail And Cobra

Nogbad the Bad

Runner bean fanatics read on:

I am presently battling against drought and pesky rabbits endeavouring to produce a huge bean crop.

The problem is i can only visit my patch ( it being almot 20 miles away) every third day at the most. Hence 3 days without rain and i'm stymied as half the blighters are dying.

After the first batch of almost 40 home grown Runners were devastated by rabbits i decided to hedge my bets by growing equal numbers of Cobra's ( AKA 'French' Beans ) and Golden Flat Beans (Helda's)

I also hung large numbers of plastic bags and foil quiche containers from the bean sticks in the hope the noise when the wind blew would deter the perishing nibblers. Then i positioned a plastic Donkey, about the size of a small dog, as a 'scarecrow' in such a way that he stared menacingly in the direction i assumed the rabbits came from.

Finally i loaded up a wheel barrow full of ash from the bonfire and determinedly filled in the huge rabbit hole under the hedge, although i know there to be others. :angry:

Well, the rain came and would you believe it, the rabbits were seemingly either put off by my myriad obstructions placed before them or they simply haven't got a taste for French Beans. On my next visit i had to replace 7 failed Helda/Runners ( dried out) but all the Cobra's were unnibbled and flourishing.

Now i was left with 7 Runners and there were few surviving Runners in the 42 strong plant patch and they are my Dad's favourites and an absolute must. Solution seemed to be to throw caution to the wind and quickly construct a wigwam of bamboo sticks on a newly dug circular patch and plant them there. So it was i departed for Bristol, after watering heavily, with 7 newly planted, but apparently vulnerable, runners in place.

So, fellow Bean Enthusiasts, how many of these plants do you think will remain intact when i visit again at the weekend? Will there have been rain since Wednesday or will wilt have overtaken them? Will my old man get his prized Runners to make his Summer complete? How many pounds of beans will i get if all 49 plants crop? ( clue: it's a hell of alot! :D )And what am i going to do with them all in August if they do?

Any suggestions from fellow bean growers to deter the rabbits very welcome. But a word of warning to the bunnies: George, our cat, will be accompanying me at the w/e and he won't be having any breakfast before he arrives. :whistle:

P.S. As an insurance policy i started off yet another ten runners on my return. One way or another the rabbits will not win and the wigwam will be covered in climbers. Or if they do i'm not going down without a hell of a fight. :grr::city:

Go to a pet shop and either get a "bitter apple" spray, or you can get a bitter apple tray sort of thing that releases it over time. Rabbits (and other pets) hate the smell I use at home and spray it on places I don't want my rabbits to chew.

A Ferret and a gun works wonders

Both my ferrets are veggies so the likelihood is they would join forces with the rabbits. :angry:

As for the gun, i'm not sure the sentry, being a plastic Donkey plant pot filled with soil to prevent him being blown away, is a very ass-ured marksman.

Both my ferrets are veggies so the likelihood is they would join forces with the rabbits. :angry:

As for the gun, i'm not sure the sentry, being a plastic Donkey plant pot filled with soil to prevent him being blown away, is a very ass-ured marksman.

Try using a Big Turnip !

After the first batch of almost 40 home grown Runners were devastated by rabbits i decided to hedge my bets by growing equal numbers of Cobra's ( AKA 'French' Beans ) and Golden Flat Beans (Helda's)

You're so called 'French' beans haven't been biting people in Frenchay have they?

do cats eat rabbits? :blink:

Yes! When I was young my cat (aka Catflap) got into our rabbit hutch and ate all the bunies and left me a choice selection of entrails and organs on my pillow :o

Go to a pet shop and either get a "bitter apple" spray, or you can get a bitter apple tray sort of thing that releases it over time. Rabbits (and other pets) hate the smell I use at home and spray it on places I don't want my rabbits to chew.

Cheers for that tip, Dolly, i may well give it a try. :thumbsup:

Would this "bitter" spray affect the taste though bearing in mind that if all goes to plan people are going to be force-fed the produce every meal between August and the New year? :dunno:

Don't tell Turnip, despite his name he doesn't eat vegetables - yet. :devil:

do cats eat rabbits? :blink:

George doesn't 'eat' them but we often find the blighters laid out for our inspection when we're visiting and he's had a 'night out'.

He just chases them and plays with them i reckon, only his game involves his teeth round their necks and a whole lot of shaking going on. ;)

Try using a Big Turnip !

That's an enormously attractive idea, but in reality the nearest to that i'm likely to have are some Courgettes, Cucumbers and just for the hell of it a massive Aubergine. :blink:

Oh, and some Corn on the Cob which should go down well., though my little pals have already done for a quarter of them.

It's the Runners that really count though. :yawn:

It's looking good, Bean fanatics.

On arrival i tremulously craned my neck aroung the hedge for my first sight of the patch to see a veritable profusion of healthy green leaves.

Not a nibbled leaf in sight, although a couple of shoots had been snapped by the wind or the ties. Beany looked rightfully triumphant at a job well done.

Only problem was no rain between visits so growth was small and watering urgent. George decided the recently dug earth was the ideal place to relieve hmself after the car journey and the young shoots were in danger as he frantically covered his shocking and shameless misdemeanour with a blur of uncontrolled paws. He looked extremely pleased with himself.

Then something i could never have foreseen. I watched with increasing horror as my feline companion, seemingly crazed by his overwhelming sense of relief proceeded to wildly nudge each cane amorously with his forehead as he weaved manically from one to the next. :Crazy:

By good fortune all the young shoots survived this butting frenzy and by the time i left all had been watered copiously and several were even advanced enough to entwine themselves up the sticks without other support. :Party27:

Most encouraging of all, the 7 Runners in the Wigwam were making the most headway of all.

The 10 replacement Runners at home are just starting to poke through but high hopes now that they won't be needed. Or will the rabbits return to wreak carnage and dash them. :dunno:

Anything can happen in the next 3 days and have no fear the latest Bean news will appear here first.

Just to say thanks to everybody, many too many to mention individually, who have expressed concern for the Bean's welfare, offered to water, and even stand guard overnight.

Much appreciated. :thumbsup::city:

It's looking good, Bean fanatics.

On arrival i tremulously craned my neck aroung the hedge for my first sight of the patch to see a veritable profusion of healthy green leaves.

Not a nibbled leaf in sight, although a couple of shoots had been snapped by the wind or the ties. Beany looked rightfully triumphant at a job well done.

Only problem was no rain between visits so growth was small and watering urgent. George decided the recently dug earth was the ideal place to relieve hmself after the car journey and the young shoots were in danger as he frantically covered his shocking and shameless misdemeanour with a blur of uncontrolled paws. He looked extremely pleased with himself.

Then something i could never have foreseen. I watched with increasing horror as my feline companion, seemingly crazed by his overwhelming sense of relief proceeded to wildly nudge each cane amorously with his forehead as he weaved manically from one to the next. :Crazy:

By good fortune all the young shoots survived this butting frenzy and by the time i left all had been watered copiously and several were even advanced enough to entwine themselves up the sticks without other support. :Party27:

Most encouraging of all, the 7 Runners in the Wigwam were making the most headway of all.

The 10 replacement Runners at home are just starting to poke through but high hopes now that they won't be needed. Or will the rabbits return to wreak carnage and dash them. :dunno:

Anything can happen in the next 3 days and have no fear the latest Bean news will appear here first.

Just to say thanks to everybody, many too many to mention individually, who have expressed concern for the Bean's welfare, offered to water, and even stand guard overnight.

Much appreciated. :thumbsup::city:

Oh Nogbad, you and your beans :)

It's a bit amazing watching the ones growing at home mind.. they shoot up miles every day. Nature in motion :o

RAIN :clap::city: About time too. :whistle:

I can just picture the beans spiralling ever upwards towards the skies in true Jack and the Beanstalk fashion while those cowardly fat rabbits cower in their holes.

Cobras 1 Fat Bunnies 0

COME ON YOU GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENS :w00t:

Archived